Pe@rson
Topic Author

Viable Alternative Airports For MUC, STR, CGN, Etc

Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:09 am

What are, if there are any, the viable alternative airports for Munich, Stuttgart, Geneva, Zurich, Madrid and Vienna? Would you deem Dortmund or NRN to be a viable airport for Cologne? I ask because I know NRN is used as an alternative to DUS and CGN isn't far from DUS.

[Edited 2004-12-30 00:11:26]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

marky

RE: Viable Alternative Airports For MUC, STR, CGN, Etc

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:44 am

SkyEurope promote Bratislava as an alternative to Vienna, and link it with a bus service, even though its in a different country. (Ryanair do a similar thing with Malmo and Copenhagen).

Munich has Augsburg (although I don't think it can take larger aircraft, I wait to be corrected!!).

I remember reading about a new airport being built some distance from Madrid (100 miles plus) but linked by a high speed train link so relatively accessible, can't remember any more about it.

Not sure about the others

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:47 am

Thanks.

MMX is 40 mins-1 hr by CPH, so hardly a big deal.

BTS is one I forgot. How long does it take to go BTS-VIE?

Augsburg - would that be able to handle a 738? How long does it take to go Augsburg-MUC?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

JoFMO

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:51 am

Augsburg is not able to handle 738. Ryanair was very interested in it until they realized it. South of Augsburg near Buchloe is the air force base Lagerlechfeld. There are plans to open it as a low cost airport. From the western suburbs both airpoirt sides are not much further away than MUC.

Malmö is too far away from Copenhagen. You have to pass the bridge, what is very expensive and there is no direct rail link.

Leskova

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:41 pm

DUS and CGN not far from each other? Speaking with people from both cities regularly, I'd say that the moon and earth are closer to each other than those two cities...  Big grin

But, kidding aside, I've only rarely heard of someone from DUS or CGN willing to use the respective "other airport" to save money, so I guess that before decent rail links are established (or, alternatively, good access roads and free parking are available) the "alternative airports" will continue to be just that: alternatives, or something that you only use if you cannot get something from the airport you actually want to fly from.

As for BTS to Vienna? According to SkyEurope's website, this takes about 75-80 minutes... from the same point, I'd need about 20-25 minutes from VIE using CAT (City-Airport-Train, something like the HeathrowExpress in Vienna) and the subway for the last stretch, about 30-35 minutes by Bus and subway, or about 40 minutes by train or subway.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Chiguire

RE: Viable Alternative Airports For MUC, STR, CGN,

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:25 pm

An alternative for Munich could be Manching, about 30min North of Munic. I think this is a former airbase and - as far as I know - just used for Audi corporate flights.
CGN to Niederrhein is about the same distance as to Hahn.
For STR you could use Karlsruhe-Baden (Ryanair does). As far as I remember thats about 80 Km west from STR.
ZRH and MAD don´t have alternate airports, and VIE - as mentioned BTS.

Ndebele

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:01 pm

For STR you could use Karlsruhe-Baden (Ryanair does). As far as I remember thats about 80 Km west from STR.
At least by car, Stuttgart to FKB is about 110km. I think since Germanwings introduced flights from STR to STN, BCN and FCO, FKB is no longer an alternative for passengers from/to Stuttgart. I used to drive those 110km to FKB whenever I got a 0.01€ plus tax ticket FKB-STN, but now that Germanwings flies STR-STN for 19€ tax inclusive, flying from STR is cheaper, and of course more convenient.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:25 pm

Thanks very much for your replies! Big grin

I would love to hear more about both Lagerlechfeld and Manching (those will need new, easier to pronounce and remember names!  Laugh out loud )! I could very easily see 5-10 based aircraft and many routes!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:43 pm

I have been thinking about the potential of flights from a convenient airport/airbase near to MUC, like the suggested Lagerlechfeld and Manching. I believe the following would be fine:

STN - 3x daily
LTN (possibly) - 1x daily (maybe x2)
LPL - x1 daily (maybe x2)
DUB - x1 daily (maybe x2)
PIK - x1 daily
SNN - x1 daily
GRO x2 daily
CIA - 2x daily
BGY - 2x daily
PSA - x1 daily (quite possibly x2 daily)
TSF - x1 daily
TRN - x1 daily
RIX - x1 daily
NYO - x2 daily
TRF - x1 daily (quite possibly rising to x2 daily)
GSE - x1 daily
SVQ - x1 daily
VLC - x1 daily
MJV - x1 daily
XRY - x1 daily
OPO - x1 daily
REU - x1 daily
AHO x1 daily (reduced to 3x weekly in winter, if not operated just during the summer)
BVA - 3x daily
CRL - 3x daily (possibly 2x instead)
TMP - 1x daily
WRO - 1x daily
BRQ - 1x daily
MMX - 1x daily (possibly 2x daily)

I’m sure the likes of FNI or MPL would also feature, as would other, smaller cities in Italy, France and Spain.

Evidently, there’s an awful lot of potential!

[Edited 2004-12-30 15:10:20]

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:54 pm

I would also think, due to the links between the MUC area and Italy, that flights to places like Genoa, Verona, Bologna, etc., might well be viable on an initial once-daily frequency.

How did I miss EMA off that list (for Birmingham/Derby/Nottingham/etc areas)? 1x daily initially. Should quite easily rise to 2x daily.

[Edited 2004-12-30 15:58:52]

BMED

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:57 pm

You are good at planning lcc. You should see my plan for a british, domestic carrier. I was quite impressed with it.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

JoFMO

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:08 am

For those of you who are really interested in Lagerlechfeld:

http://www.stmwivt.bayern.de/pdf/verkehr/flugplatz_lechfeld.pdf

It is a feasibility study in German, but also has some nice pictures and graphs.

airbazar

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:17 am

Doesn't Ryanair fly to Salzburg as an alternative to Munich? It's only an hour drive between the two cities.

JoFMO

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:32 am

One hour is optimistic. German highways have no speed limit, but the A8 is fomous for it's jams in summer and winter holidays.

I think SZG is an alternitive at some degree, but generates most of it's traffic by its own.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:32 pm

Thanks for that, JoFMO!

I did consider SZG as an alternative, but obviously Augsburg (which can't handle the 738), Lagerlechfeld and Manching offer the best opportunities.

About Lagerlechfeld: does anyone know how many aircraft could, once any extensions are completed, handle? I ask because 5-10 aircraft would probably be based there.

gkirk

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:37 pm

You could always act like a real airline and fly to the real airports at MUC, STR, CGN etc  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:40 pm

Gkirk - it's not funny any more as you keep saying such things. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, shut up.

Chiguire

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:51 pm

This is the link to Manching:
http://www.flugplatz-ingolstadt.de

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:56 pm

Thanks for that link, Chiguire! Shame it doesn't offer more information, like a development plan for a low-cost airline.