padcrasher

Czech Airlines PRG-Colombo

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:01 pm

This seems like an odd route for Czech to fly.

Does anyone know the history behind this route?

How does it perform?

Where is the demand for this coming from?

Thanks in advance.

jfkYYZ

RE: Czech Airlines PRG-Colombo

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:29 pm

I'm not sure of anything really about the Czech decision to fly the route really. But seeing how Aeroflot always manage to fill up their flights with Indians flying to BOM or DEL maybe Czech is doing the same. If you go to Czech's website as well and look at their route map and click on a destination in this case CMB, one can see all the connecting opportunities.
j. in YYZ

swissgabe

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:05 pm

Afaik OK doesn't do (or did) bad on this route. They are not only selling in the Czech Republic but also in other places in Europe (and maybe even North America). They having also traffic right on the DXB-CMB vv. sector.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

TurkishSky

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:05 pm

The reason they started CMB was the fact that there were no European carriers operating scheduled flights there other than the usual leisure carriers like LTU etc....
Flown 4I 9U AA AB AF AZ BA BD BR CA CU CX EI FR HV JK JP JU KK KL KM LH LX MA ME MS NG OA OK QR OS RJ RO SA SK SQ SR SU

Chiguire

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:12 pm

that there were no European carriers operating scheduled flights
Correct. OK is an alternative for smaller tour operators in Europe not wanting to take any commitment on a charter. This is also extremely important for Sri Lanka as a destination as they are not only dependent on the big operators.

swissgabe

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:45 pm

TurkishSky
Flying to a destination because no other airline is flying there should not be the main reason to fly to any destination. You fly there because there is demand or money to made ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

L410Turbolet

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:54 pm

This seems like an odd route for Czech to fly.

CSA's long-haul route network is quite odd as a whole.

Does anyone know the history behind this route?

The PRG-DXB-CMB route has been in operation for something like 2 years. This year they've extended it to MLE.

How does it perform?

This is only hearsay, but the route is (was?) supposedly a great success story. I wonder what the future of this route will be. I'm not able to support my statement with numbers. Sorry.

Where is the demand for this coming from?

mainly Czech travel agencies and I think CSA is successfully marketing the route outside of the Czech Rep.
Technically the flights are c/s as DL flights as well, but how many pax this generates, I don't know.

Pe@rson

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:01 pm

A former Egyptian airline, ZAS I think, operated, around 1995, a once-weekly, M80-operated service from CAI to MLE via KWI. I would have thought that that was more strange, but not even that strange.

[Edited 2004-12-30 14:02:49]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

TurkishSky

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:06 pm

Swissgabe

'Flying to a destination because no other airline is flying there should not be the main reason to fly to any destination. You fly there because there is demand or money to made ...'

I have been in touch with CSA quite many years as a travel professional and this was a comment by people of CSA in the beginning. They saw there was a market there but they were not sure about it.

Now they seem to be happy and they surely are NOT flying there to be the only scheduled carrier.
Flown 4I 9U AA AB AF AZ BA BD BR CA CU CX EI FR HV JK JP JU KK KL KM LH LX MA ME MS NG OA OK QR OS RJ RO SA SK SQ SR SU

padcrasher

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:13 pm

I love this website. Ask a question and get answers from no less than 6 airline buffs in 6 different countries..in less than 6 hours....Thanks for your replies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos