lh477

AC's International Offering

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:41 am

It seems that Air Canada's covers more int'l routes than most US carriers, if not more then any other US carrier. The only populated continent it does not fly to is Africa. Can anyone validate this? I am sure a fellow a.netter has
this information easily available.

Thanks,

Amish.

Come on you gunners......!!!!!

fraT

RE: AC's International Offering

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:37 am

Well it's true that the only continent they're not flying to is Africa, but otherwise their route system is thin. In Europe they're only flying to LHR, FRA. CDG and MUC year round and AMS seasonal. Every US Major flying to Europe serves more destinations.
Same goes for Asia and South America. They are flying there but only to the most important cities (which is OK in my opinion). Other North American carriers have a much bigger network.

Olympus69

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:37 am

This sounds highly improbable to me Amish. The only way their number of international routes can be made to look impressive is by including the very large number of trans-border flights - including those of AC Jazz.

accargo

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:19 am

Other North American carriers have a much bigger network.

Which ones? I am sure that some US carriers serve destinations AC doesn't serve, but do all offer service to South Pacific (SYD), Asia (HKG, ICN, NRT, KIX, PEK, DEL), Europe (LHR, FRA, CDG, seasonal service to GLA, MAN, AMS, MUC, ZRH, daily to FCO starting Jun05), Mideast (TLV), South America (BOG, SCL, LIM, GRU, CCS), Central America And Carribbean (KIN, MBJ, BDA, BGI, MEX, POS, ANU, HAV, NAS) on their own metal? I would think it's about even when you break down each carrier and compare to AC's routes.

lymanm

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Though, they do have better access to LHR than any other US carrier.
buhh bye

fraT

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:47 pm

CO has a lot more destination than AC in Europe, South and Central America. They also serve Asia and Australia. Most of them are daily and year round compared to AC.
It is true that AC isn't focused to one continent like some US carriers (AA-South/Central America, NW-Asia). The big advantage for AC is their membership in Star Alliance which gives them access to so many markets so they don't need to fly there with their own metal.