RogerThat
Topic Author

Pay More To Help Your Favorite Airline?

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:37 am

Today's CNBC Power Poll: Would you pay more to help your favorite airline?

The Results: Yes 29%, No 71%

I would pay a slight premium to fly AA but most CNBC viewers won't pay more to help their favorite airline.

How would you have voted? And how much more would you pay?

AEROFAN

RE: Pay More To Help Your Favorite Airline?

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:40 am

I would pay between $1-5.00. hmmmmmmm perhaps I would go to $10.00 but definitely no more

elcapi1980

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 am

yeah, $10.00 is very reasonable.
I love you barranquilla!!!!!

ATWZW170

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:44 am

Most people in this world don't care who they fly on...it's all about how low is the fare. Now, there are those of us on here who would have $100 more just to fly on a certain plane..but then again, we are all just a bunch of sick bastards.  Big grin
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

Leskova

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:52 am

To really be able to answer the question, I'd actually have to figure out which airline is my favorite one...

Depending on the length of the flight, I'd be willing to pay a certain amount extra to fly on an airline that gives me a bigger seat pitch, but that's the one and only criteria that could convince me to pay more.

And for that, I'd probably pay up to €50 more on short flights of up to 6 or 7 hours, and around €100 more for longer ones.
Smile - it confuses people!

SE210Caravelle

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:52 am

I would have voted: Yes in a second!

I would pay: $15-$20

SE210Caravelle  Smile

Tango-Bravo

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:35 am

Today's CNBC Power Poll: Would you pay more to help your favorite airline?

Unless some part of the question is missing, this is a totally "loaded" question subject to more than one interpretation.

It could be taken to mean, "would you pay more to help your favorite airline -- even if a lower fare is available from the same airline?" In which case I am somewhat surprised that as many as 29% would reply in the affirmative. Why volunteer to pay more when your favorite airline is stupid enough to offer their same service at below-cost fares to others on the same plane?

If the question were interpreted "would you pay more to help your favorite airline if your choice were to pay more to fly -or- stay home or find another means of transportation?" assuming respondents were telling the truth, it would be 95% "yes" give or take 1-2 points, and 5% no. It's highly unlikely, however, that most respondents would tell the truth, meaning the legacies would have their excuse to remain self-deceived into having us believe they have no pricing power when, in fact, what they do not have is pricing discipline.

luv2fly

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:41 am

No not a chance, sorry to say. If you need to receive a certain amount for your product then charge it, stand up and believe that your product is worth the price you are asking for it. Stop trying to be all things to all people, decide on a plan and stick with it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

AZjetgeek

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:52 am

My favorite is WN, and right now they don't need my help. If they ever were to fall into the level of US or UA, I might be willing to come up with an additional $10-15 to show my support. I might even be inclined to pay $20 more because their level of service, as well as their low fares, is why I like WN so much.

The legacy carriers, especially DL, AA, UA and CO, have solid reputations as being customer oriented. However, DL, UA and AA have been forced to reduce or eliminate some customer perks. HP, although not a legacy carrier, also tightened its belt by doing away with free meals. They've gone to the pay-to-eat plan to save money and increase revenues. I don't like that idea, but I can certainly understand why they've gone to it.

I find it interesting that B6 has been able to maintain low fares while still offering passengers IFE. Wonder how long that will continue?
Long live the RJ!

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:59 am

I would not pay more to HELP my favorite airline.

I would, on the other hand, pay more to fly on the airline where I am Platinum... But that's pretty self-serving  Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ANCFlyer

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:08 am

Yes, within reason of course, but definitely yes.

To help CO, in a quick minute.

Would I put a dollar value on how much I would be willing to "help". I'm not sure what my top end limit would be.

But perhaps CO could develop a 'distance' based plan. 0-1500 miles, add $25US. 1500-2500 miles, add $50US. 2500-5000 miles, add $75US. As long as the service was commensurate with the premium paid (and on CO it usually is anyway, premium or not) then I'd gladly help them out. . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CRPilot

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:14 am

I haven't had to pay full price in a long time as I travel stand by, but if I had to pay full fare, I would say no more than $10.00...maybe. I would say loyalty goes as far as one can afford and then there is Jetblue and Southwest.....is that simple.
Flying is a privilege!

SHUPirate1

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:19 am

I often have paid a 25-50 dollar premium to fly one of the two Star Alliance carriers (I have never flown internationally)...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

lh600

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:33 am

I would try to give business Iran Air as much as I can; however, I question the safety of their fleet, especially the older Boeing and Russian built aircraft that they operate(Iran Air Tours) (mostly on domestic flights).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © WEIMENG

Iran Air was once one of the worlds most prestigious airlines with the most modern fleet of aircraft in the world. Now they are blocked from purchasing new airplanes even from Airbus due to the US sanctions. I hope Iran Air will one day rise up to its former glory once relations with the US improve.

View Large View Medium

Photo © An Jing

View Large View Medium

Photo © Irfan CALISKAN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos