Reggaebird
Topic Author

Boeing 7E7 (787) Tail Design Change

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:41 am

Did anyone else notice that Boeing is finally showing a new tail design for the Boeing 7E7 (787)? It looks way more traditional than the shark fin! Check it out here.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2004/photorelease/q4/pr_041229g.html

Reggaebird

[Edited 2004-12-30 21:45:11]

TWFirst

RE: Boeing 7E7 (787) Tail Design Change

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 am

It does look slightly different, but regardless of the tail, this is one SWEET picture!:

An unexamined life isn't worth living.

dbo861

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:52 am

I was hoping with the new 7E7s, Continental would start a new color scheme....oh well...

TWFirst

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:54 am

>>I was hoping with the new 7E7s, Continental would start a new color scheme....oh well... <<

Who says they won't? They're not receiving their first 787 for OVER 4 YEARS from now.... even if they do plan a livery change, they're not going to show it in an artist's rendering today.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Boeing Nut

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:58 am

If you look "reeeel" close the the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, (sp?) you'll see a slight taper of the tail going towards the back. I believe the "shark fin" is alive and well.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

DfwRevolution

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:07 am

It looks exactly like all other "shark tail" 7E7's have so far IMO.... I don't think these sorts of illustrations count for much anyway...

SE210Caravelle

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:18 am

I'm sure you guys are familiar with this site, but check out http://newairplane.com/ for info on the 7E7 and a link to Boeing's 7E7 main page!

Great photo's (and videos, screen savers, virtual tours) like these can be found on the page:

http://newairplane.com/assets/en-US/gallery_pic_2_large.jpg

http://newairplane.com/assets/en-US/gallery_pic_3_large.jpg

http://newairplane.com/assets/en-US/gallery_pic_4_large.jpg

http://newairplane.com/assets/en-US/gallery_pic_5_large.jpg

Don't you love Boeing's new production livery!

Click here: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/7e7/photos.html for more photos and liverys on the or of the Boeing 7E7!

Have an awesome time with these photos, sorry for being a bit off topic,

SE210Caravelle Big grin

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:10 am

Tip guys. That is the 'new' tail. And the big windows. Go suck. They've been cut down a bit, although they may be a little larger than standard Boeing.

Next 7E7 feature to take a hit MIGHT be the electronic window shades. And after than, a steep downward revision of the percentage of composites and a humungous dirt fight with some of the suppliers who can't deliver on the new technology.

People were upset when I suggested the features of the 7E7 would be rolled back some month back. Too bad, that's the way of the world. Mislead or over-hype a product, something that Airbus elevated to an art form with all that rubbish about the A380 being a sky hotel or shopping mall etc.

Don't you get mad when people wheel out big fibs.

Antares

NYC777

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:20 am

What is your source for the changes in the window size, the tail, and the window shades?
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

gigneil

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:20 am

The tail in the picture is exactly the same as in previous pictures.

N

zvezda

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:27 am

This tail looks the same to me as those in previous illustrations.

DfwRevolution

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:27 am

Tip guys. That is the 'new' tail. And the big windows. Go suck. They've been cut down a bit, although they may be a little larger than standard Boeing.

If you have a source that isn't that picture above, then I'd be willing to listen. From most indications, the fuselage design is largely complete so we would likely know if the windows are smaller. One reason the picture might look different is the 7E7 windows will be very disproportionate to what we are use to, and I wouldn't put it past the art department to scale them down a bit....

And after than, a steep downward revision of the percentage of composites and a humungous dirt fight with some of the suppliers who can't deliver on the new technology.

Not only is that unlikely, it's impossible. Boeing has done no alternative design work with aluminum alloys if the composite technology does not pan out. Given that construction of the prototype begins in 12 months, they have literally committed themselves to composite techonology. They don't have time to redesign the entire primary structure in that amount of time.

People were upset when I suggested the features of the 7E7 would be rolled back some month back

And which technologies have been rolled back that I missed? Boeing hasn't bailed on any sort of tail design because no tail design has been firmed in the first place.

NYC777

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:37 am

In a conference call last month, a Boeing official said that the desing was mostly complete and that only the final configuration of the tail needs to be complete. They expect to freeze the design by middle of 2005 which means that a lot of what has been planned for the 7e7 is probably going to show up on the plane.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

Rj111

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:42 am

Not only is that unlikely, it's impossible. Boeing has done no alternative design work with aluminum alloys if the composite technology does not pan out.

If i choose not to carry a spare tyre, it doesnt make it impossible for the four on my wheels to puncture.  Smile

2H4

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:00 am

Boeing has done no alternative design work with aluminum alloys if the composite technology does not pan out.

If i choose not to carry a spare tyre, it doesnt make it impossible for the four on my wheels to puncture.

Here we go again. I can't believe people actually believe Boeing is taking some huge gamble on composites with the 7E7. Boeing has done their homework, folks. And not just in the past year or two. They've been researching and investing heavily in composite technology for the past decade or two.

Boeing is NOT jumping into this unprepared. They are NOT launching some one-off experimental contraption with questionable technology, as many of you regularly suggest.

Give them some credit.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

BlueSky1976

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:26 am

The picture is sweet. The shark tail still sucks. I'm still hoping they'll dump the idea. And for those wanting CO to change livery: go hang yourself. Continental has the best looking planes in the USA in my opinion...
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

copter808

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:14 am

What the heck is all the discussion about how the airplane looks about!! Boeing is designing the airframe for its efficiency, not looks.

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:15 am

OK here's a bit more info. The tail and cockpit shape has been finalised. Look closely and you'll see the rakish shark fin is no longer there, bearing in mind is has been gradually phased down in recent 'leaks'.

Features to go so far have been satellite electrical motor locations, all now centralised in a more conventional scheme of things, and the variable trailing edge design was ditched some time back.

The height of the windows has been 'shortened.' Carry on all you like, but this will be made official soon.

And also coming, is an announcement that reinforced carbon laminates will not be applicable to certain parts of the design, including the area around the cockpit. No I can't tell you to the person how I know this, but work it out. There are design people working on elements of the project in this hemisphere.

I'm still a 'believer' in this project. Its just that I don't like to see hype rolled back by either manufacturer. People should only promise what they can deliver. The 7E7 should deliver a damn good product, but will we walk around inside some versions of Starship Galactica looking at the sky through sky lights, or admire the world through giant windows. No.

We'll get a fine jet that will meet the promises of performance made by Boeing if the 777 is any guide. And it will for a while be clear front runner in composite application, a title Airbus would have to work very hard to take from Boeing, but just as people usually can't remember what jet they flew on if they are just members of the public, there will be nothing all that out of the ordinary in flying the 7E7s.

atmx2000

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:24 am

I'm sure Boeing will be more inclined to pare back on things that don't contribute appreciably towards performance or comfort and contribute towards increased cost. After all, they want to sell the damn thing and make more money. If they figure they can sell the plane without some costly snazzy, pointless aspect of the design they will do so. And they will take that money to the bank and apply it towards the design of the 737NNG.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

boeingbus

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:48 am

Since the design work is planned for another 6 months and you can bet Boeing is currently studying the A350... So yes the 7E7 is still evolving to better compete. Airbus will do the same once we actuals are released in 2007.

If a conventional tail offerrs greater efficiency.... than that is what will be. The marketing pictures mean nothing.
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:18 am

BoeingBus,

You're right in one sense but I get pretty wound up about dishonesty in marketing.

Not that Airbus could claim any high moral ground. We all saw the rubbish about the A380, and more ancient members will recall the Airbus variable camber wing on the first A340s that were going to fly non-stop for 17 hours.

It was almost like they were in a lying competition with MD which was going to do Dallas Fort Worth non stop to Sydney both ways straight out of the factory, and we had Crandall and people like that flying to Australia to tell us about the great new services that were about to start. They were sure made to look like idiots by MD, and now we have been to look like idiots by Airbus, and more recently by Boeing.

I know I sound cranky, but part of the problem with today's world (rant, rave....silly old bugger) is that compromising on the truth is just considered marketing. its not. Its lying.

N328KF

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:24 am

Antares:

You're painting Boeing with a brush from a reputation that they clearly do not have. McDonnell-Douglas and Airbus may have stretched matters, but what civil aircraft in recent history have Boeing lied about? Come on, start putting up, or are you just going to throw around baseless assertions all day? I think your statements about the tail are nothing more than Wild Ass Guesses, too. I want you to quantify these "leaks," which I purport are nothing more than Internet rumors.

[Edited 2004-12-31 02:29:56]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

PPVRA

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:27 am

It looks like they chop the tip of the "Shark Fin" off. It isn't exactly a conventional tail, but it isn't the 'original' shark fin top tail either.

PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:34 am

N328KF,

Everything I have ever posted to this forum has proven correct.

If I'm proven wrong I'll say so. No sweat. But the windows have been lopped and there is less shark in the shark fin tail than before. And there are no skylights, less composites and no variable trailing edge innovations.

I'd agree Boeing hasn't gone over the top in the past, well not since the launch of the 747, which resembled the A380 hype somewhat....but I just don't like the common assertion that marketing and the truth do not have to be congruent.

They may not be anymore, but this is wrong. If Boeing is a principled as you say (excluding flogging national secrets to America's enemies as some would have it) we have even more reason to kick butt when they step outside the limits.

We were promised things like skylights and gigantic windows that we are not going to get. Frankly, I'm not all that happy at just getting another jet. I want the Dreamliner dammit!

2H4

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:46 am

Antares,

Do you know for a fact that the window size has been reduced and finalized? If so, I'd be curious to hear what the finalized dimensions are.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

N328KF

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:47 am

Let's leave your arguable statements about Boeing IDS out of this discussion. I already stated that I am only referring to BCA here.

Again, you made assertions about skylights, fewer composites, and aerodynamic changes that I believe you have no insight into. The latter two are the ones that concern me more. Until either you ante up with reliable sources or Boeing states otherwise, I'm going to proceed to disregard your statements as irrelevant on scant evidence from now on. Anyhow, I don't think you can tell about the windows until we see updated interior images. All we've seen within the past few months have been exterior shots that didn't really indicate much of anything regarding glass.

Are you sure your profile is accurate? It's rather immature to be fixated on the "gee-whiz" factor of this aircraft.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

ha763

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:56 am

It is still the same "shark fin" tail. It's just that this is a new angle of the 7E7 we are seeing. It still has the long slope in the front and the curve and extension at the bottom of the rudder.

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:03 am

N328KF and 2H4 CREW

I'm even older if the truth be known. And this is my second child hood. I'm impatient to see great things happen, as I don't have forever and it is getting to be a chore to fly although I'm not quite ready to give up yet. That will probably coincide with failing to requalifiy for my driving licence but i think I'v got a few more years if I don't loose track of the mountain bends where I live.

Windows. Yes. Shortened by 'several inches' was what I was told.

Please disregard whatever I say until proven true.Then you can explain it away as a lucky hunch or whatever. Explaining away the remeoval of the 'dream' from Dreamliner will be harder.

Antares

DAYflyer

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:27 am

What a bunch of manure. What ever saves the airlines the most money is what they are going to put on this thing, period. The shark fin tail is a great looking idea, but so what? If it increases drag or decreases efficiency, then it will go bye bye. The idea has been around for a long time, but not used frequently because......we don't know except to guess that is not perhaps the best configuration, not matter how neat it looks.

Same thing goes for the windows. Lord knows I want bigger windows in airplanes. PLEASE. But if the airplane design does not achieve goals, then they too will go.

As for AIRBUS, they shovel out more marketing garbage than anybody in aviation history. They crap they dole out could fill the Empire State Building and the A-380 is the perfect example of that. So please Airbus "purists" out there, you had better take a good look around before bashing Boeing about what it claims it's airplanes can do.
One Nation Under God

DekX

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:36 am

Ladies & Gents... the tail redesign is an aerodynamic function that just would not allow. The engineering team was trying very much to maintain the curves in the frozen design unfortuntely in an effort to deliver close to promised performance that tail conifguration was not a helper.
The main issue was drag and residual tail buffeting. And becuase the tail would be made of mostly composite material the long term effects of Damage Tolerance analysis on this type of structure are not worth the risk. In any case... aerodynamically speaking, the more common rectangle was the proven choice. Remember the goal of the 7E7 is ther peformance blanket.... This is the reason for the Tail Change....

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:56 am

Thanks DekX,

I had people trying to tell me it hadn't changed and was beginning to think that one of the kids had slipped something into the old fart's coffee again.

Best wishes for 2005

A340600

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:00 pm

Hehe, could have told you months back that all these high windows and ridiculous tail stuff would never happen. It will end up looking more like any other airliner around. Still, I think it looks a bit ugly, suppose not as bad at the 380,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

c172heavy

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:10 pm

Granted, the shark fin is a radical look, but it'll distinguish the 7E7 from all the other fish in the bowl. Besides, it looks cool!
"How's that working out for ya?....Bein' clever?"

PVG

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:40 pm

Starting to look like a 757 on steroids!!! Antaras, anyone willing to call themselves an old-fart in public must be telling the truth. Sounds like you've got some inside info. You certainly know that you'll be called on this if you're wrong.

Happy New Year!!!

By the way, the word "FART" is not in the spell check: Administrator: Please make sure to add. Thanks!

zippyjet

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:04 pm

Though young at heart and progressive in many facets of life, when it comes to subsonic commercial jets, I'm a traditionalist all the way! The amended tail goes much better with this sleek bird. And I personally feel the Continental livery is timeless. As many of you know, I find the NW tinker toy livery to be a De-evolution in class and style. And, I never was a fan of the FUGLY flattened engines on the stubby chubby Boeing 737-300, 400 and 500 series. The NG's are more rounded and sleeker. The original shark tail was a little too ugly duckling for the 787! Good move Boeing.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

hoya

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:06 pm

Here's a better, newer picture of the 7E7. It's a side view, so we can see the tail better. It still is distinctive, but it doesn't look as radical as it did in the past.

Hoya Saxa!!

AvObserver

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:45 pm

DekX, the current 7E7 illustration still shows a profound curve to the tail. Until Boeing publishes a revised one with a completely straight-angled tail, I accept the possibility that the 'sharkfin' could still be in the final design.

Antares, while at least some of your authoritative assertions could be true, if you can't name your source, how do you expect us to take you seriously? Making claims without substantiation is a waste of both your and our time. We all know some of the more unique design elements might be conventionalized out of concerns for practicality, maintenance, etc. Yes, the tail might get straightened, the window height clipped a bit, the forward windscreen reduced in size from the early pictures. But comments like this...

"Next 7E7 feature to take a hit MIGHT be the electronic window shades. And after than, a steep downward revision of the percentage of composites and a humungous dirt fight with some of the suppliers who can't deliver on the new technology."

...are sheer speculation on your part. Substantially reducing composites would undermine the business case for even doing the 7E7; its rationale was based on reducing a lot of weight, compared to current like-sized jets which is critical to its mission. The electronically lit 'skylights' you say were axed, were a major feature of the 7E7 mockup I visited in the a.net organized tour that included the Boeing Design Center. The focus was to provide passengers with a comfortable flying experience in which the skylight provided varied lighting which could simulate day or night or adjusted to illuminate the cabin with colors to enhance mood, particularly useful on long flights. It seemed absolutely feasible and isn't Singapore using some variation of this idea on their ULH A340-500 routes? Unless airlines balked about whatever it cost, I'd doubt Boeing would have backed away from it already. The bottom line is: until we see this from an official source, it's all hearsay, not the gospel according to Antares.

Second childhood, eh? Sure you're not confusing it with Althzheimers? Big grin That crankiness might be an early symptom.  Big grin

BlueSky1976

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:49 pm

what civil aircraft in recent history have Boeing lied about?

A380. They said that nobody in the world will buy it. Circa 1997.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

atmx2000

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:05 pm

Uh, I think he was asking what Boeing product has Boeing lied about. Talking crap about competitors products isn't surprising. Didn't they make various claims about the A320 fly-by-wire design?
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

N328KF

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:10 pm

Atmx2000:

Yes. FUD regarding competitors products doesn't count. It happens in all industries. I am specifically wondering where he got the garbage idea that Boeing has been lying about the capability of their own civil products. The 777-300ER? Oh, wait!

hmmmm...

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:19 pm

Making claims without substantiation is a waste of both your and our time.

A waste of time? It's a discussion board, not a job. The fact that we are here is testimony that we have spare time to kill.

I think everyone is forgetting that this is a discussion board, not a newspaper room. Discussion is about speculation. Anyone should be able to predict anything reasonable without being attacked for predicting it just because others don't like what is being predicted.

I swear you guys are something else on this board. If I didn't know better, I'd say that all of you are on the attack dog payroll of one particular manufacturer or another.

An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

hoya

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:30 pm

BlueSky, I believe Boeing has said, and continues to say, that the market is too small to justify the development of an A380-sized plane. Boeing decided not to build a plane where it believed no profits would be made. Airbus not receiving a single firm A380 order this year so far appears to validate Boeing's view, for now.

Back to the topic:
The top of the tail seems to be squared off in the new image, not rounded as in the past. Overall, when compared to the pictures linked by SE210Caravelle, the updated pictures show the tail having a less profound curve. At least that's how I perceive it.
Hoya Saxa!!

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:37 pm

Actually I'm on the attack dog payroll of investors who take the advice of the partnership/consultancy that I founded, not that aircraft manufacturer stocks figure anywhere in the local investment picture.

Look, I still think the design looks pretty damn good, but the smaller windows are a great pity, and the sky lights would have been good.

There are only three new jets above the size of the new EMBs this cranky, vague, but exceedingly well informed old fart wants to fly in before Joe Black calls by, the 777-200LR, the 7E7 (preferably the -8) and the A380.

Oh and the IL-96. I never got to fly in one.

Best wishes to everyone for 2005. Be generous if you can to the relief effort where the tsunami struck.

Antares

zippyjet

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:45 pm

"
There are only three new jets above the size of the new EMBs this cranky, vague, but exceedingly well informed old fart wants to fly in before Joe Black calls by, the 777-200LR, the 7E7 (preferably the -8) and the A380.

Oh and the IL-96. I never got to fly in one.

You forgot one. The next hypersonic commercial transport!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

777ER
Crew

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:56 pm

The shark design is still alive and biting  Smile.

The Vietnam B7E7 looks awesome.

antares

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:57 pm

Hi Zippyjet.

I was born in Suva in 1930. Somehow or other I think that's a dream the grand children and great grand children will fulfill.

But here's a thought. Maybe I can get them to 'give me' one of the supersonic joyflights in Russia. Doubt they would take me. But I did get to fly Concorde a bit.

Antares

PPVRA

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:06 pm

Is it just me or is this tail more rounded than the Vietnam/CO 7E7?

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/7e7/k62599.html

I definatly see a change from the original shark fin... the original was more rounded than the CO one.

PPVRA

"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

hemispheres

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:22 am

//Making claims without substantiation is a waste of both your and our time.

A waste of time? It's a discussion board, not a job. The fact that we are here is testimony that we have spare time to kill.

I think everyone is forgetting that this is a discussion board, not a newspaper room. Discussion is about speculation. Anyone should be able to predict anything reasonable without being attacked for predicting it just because others don't like what is being predicted.

I swear you guys are something else on this board. If I didn't know better, I'd say that all of you are on the attack dog payroll of one particular manufacturer or another.

Hmmmm...,

That was the sanest post in this entire forum. I totally agree.
"I have to put in my two cents, but I only get a penny for my thoughts. - Someone is making money"

NW7E7

Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:27 am

From the original picture to the newest ones there isn't that much difference if at all. The only change might be at the top of the tailfin. It is a little more difficult to see it in the original because of the background.

Hmm...whats going on with the A350? Big grin

Argonaut

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:15 am

Well...whether with the sharkfin or with the modified sharkfin...

Is it just me, or does the 7E7/787 really look (well, apart from horizontal stabiliser position) like a 1950s Hawker Hunter fighter on big-time steroid/testosterone therapy? Plus ca change...
 Smile
'the rank is but the guinea stamp'