Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

US F/A "Sickout" -- The Facts

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:48 am

Although the brunt of the blame for the meltdown of USAirways flight operations and baggage handling over the Christmas weekend has been directed at a rampers who participated in an alleged "sickout" action, the F/As have not been exempt from blame for flight cancllations and massive delays for the same alleged reason.

Here are some interesting facts concerning whatever disruptive actions the F/As may have allegedly taken:

# of F/As calling in sick:

24Dec03 - 261
25Dec03 - 298

24Dec04 - 238
25Dec04 - 306

Based on these numbers, given in a "New York Times" article a few days ago, a slightly higher number of F/As called in sick over Christmas one year ago than this year. From what I recall, no one was accusing F/As of a sickout on the same days one year ago -- when more called in sick than this year.

Comment away...

acvitale

RE: US F/A "Sickout" -- The Facts

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:53 am

Sounds like 238 to 306 more sick calls then they should have had

MaverickM11

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:53 am

I've never heard anyone blame the FAs. Every story I've seen has pointed the finger clearly at rampers only, and primarily PHL rampers who are notorious for their indolence and gang-like mentality.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:19 am

I've never heard anyone blame the FAs.

Admitedly, after the media got their facts straight, the blame for the US Christmas weekend debacle shifted away from the F/As and landed squarely upon the rampers. Nontheless, the F/As did, while the story was still in the speculative stage, receive some blame for staging an alleged sickout that disrupted some flight operations. Which is why I chose to share the facts I found.

ANCFlyer

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:20 am

You know what, I agree with MaverickM11 (thats why he's on my RU list  Smile). I haven't seen much that says the F/As were the cause of this issue. Only a slight mentioning in the media about F/As. Everything focused on the militant rampers at PHL.

Having said that, if even one F/A called in sick and they were not sick, they oughta be fired. Plain and simple.

It's an integrity issue, a work ethic issue. Their airline is damn near dead, breathing it's last faint breath (much to my dismay) and yet they thoughtlessly, selfishly call in sick when they're perfectly healthy.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

DfwRevolution

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:55 am

Sadly, facts matter little in this instance. It's perception that matters, and everyone perceives US Airways to be a horrible business right now. Passengers perceive them to have terrible service which doesn't really inspire them to fly US.

RogerThat

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:55 pm

How does the size of US operation during Christmas 2004 compare to Christmas 2003? That would put the year over year sick out numbers in context.

Please forgive the lack of political correctness for calling Christmas, Christmas and not the Non-Denominational-Winter-Holiday.

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:16 pm

Support your Bread & Butter in times of need else there wont be no Bread & Butter.
Maybe when things get better,You will be provided with Cheese too.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

vr-hkg

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:21 pm

A 38% increase in sick numbers in a one day period certainly looks like somebody's not pulling their weight - sickout or no sickout.

txagkuwait

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:25 pm

>>Having said that, if even one F/A called in sick and they were not sick, they oughta be fired. Plain and simple. <<

Let's see.....you work for a company with a history of totally inept and unscrupulous management.....you have given two rounds of concessions to date and had another 21% taken out of your paycheck by the 2nd bankruptcy judge......there is talk that your company may not be alive in 20 days......and your contract (what's left of it, anyway) provides sick days as an accrued benefit and no doctor's note is required when you call in sick.

What are you going to do?

It would be real easy for others to moralize and say "I'd never call in sick if I wasn't" .......but I would say that the garbage I had had to put up with at work....if nothing else.....had made me mentally ill.

Everyone is pointing their finger at the ramp rats but the truth is.....the ramp guys had nothing to do with 99% of the problems experienced by USAirways over the weekend.

It wasn't the ramp guys who converted a whole lot of their flying from big jets to RJs....which are notorious for being unable to accommodate all the baggage, especially on full flights during holiday periods (people bringing more stuff) and when there is inclement weather (have to carry more fuel...bye bye bags)

It wasn't the ramp guys who scheduled 3 people at the Atlanta ticket counter...one to check in F passengers, one to show people how to use the kiosk, and one to check in Y passengers.

It wasn't the ramp guys who had left about 20 unfilled vacancies among rampers per shift in PHL and that's before a single sick call or OJI absence.

I am the furthest thing from a union apologist out there (diehard Texas right-to-work law Republican, thank you) but in this case, I think management set the whole carrier up to fail this weekend so they can blame it on the IAM, get the judge to abrogate the contract, and get the IAM decertified. Why else would USAirways management have already been in touch with 3rd party vendors to do aircraft maintenance?

Yep, I would hate for the USAirways folks to be left without an airline. But in this case, maybe it is time to let the company die a natural death. Worse than seeing the company's employees have to adjust to and get integrated in to other jobs in the marketplace...would be to reward the dishonest, unethical, and unscrupulous folks who run that outfit.

NIKV69

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:27 pm

Nobody at US can be singled out. The employees that are against the wage cuts and such are not just FAs. They are the ones who caused the bedlam that PHL had last weekend and it wasn't just FAs.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

jc2354

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:41 pm

TxAgKuwait,

BRAVO
If not now, then when?

geg2rap

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:55 pm

here is my question, how many US flight attendents call in sick on an average day.
Next, US would not be in this shape if not for a number of MANAGEMENT mistakes. The employees are getting this attention because it might be the straw that broke the camels back.
Jeremy

AA717driver

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:30 pm

vitale--That is a moronic comment.

People--Like Tex said, you may be physically healthy(not coughing up a lung or blowing snot) but I flew with a bunch of FO's and FA's who were getting laid off by AA and their heads weren't in their jobs.

The month after I got the notice that I would be laid off, I experienced the same thing. I had no business in the cockpit. The company disagreed(they think everyone is fine to fly--right up to the point that you ball up the airplane).

Pushing people to work in a severly understaffed position day in and day out also greatly increases the stress level. Stress breaks down the immune system. Life-altering situations like these takes all of your concentration away. Only you can determine if you are fit for duty.

The FAA Medical Dept. to my knowlege has done no studies on the effects of a failing company on an individual's ability to perform their duties. This study would be essential, IMO, to the safety of the airline system.TC
FL450, M.85

jeb94

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 pm

How quickly people forget that these are human beings, not machines. I certainly don't blame them for using the one benefit they have left. With all of the concessions that the employees have given, where are the concessions by management? This is a common thread among almost all US airlines, especially the majors. The employees give and give so management doesn't have to.

THAIlover

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:19 pm

I am agree with Jeb94 and many of you folks.

I used to work for the call center of an airline myself(not US Air). I must say that I do get very upset at myself for missing the family gatherings and many events that went on the weekend just because I am scheduled to work.

Beside, holiday season is the worst. The phone calls flooded into the call center. The wait time is long enough to upset the customers and that passed on to me. And especially for Christmas or New Year where is the only opportunity to meet with my family, why would I have miss this happiness and joy to get fed up with customers?.?.? I did call out and I quited 2 months after because I couldn't take it any longer.

I am totally understand the pressure of the US Air employees and can't blame them for this. I can't blame the management neither since holidays is where the profit is. But if I were to predict that this "call out" didn't happen, I would say that the customers will get even more upset from the service.

Virgin Atlantic used to have Christmas off for the whole company(and yes, no flight on Christmas day) and I think this is a fair game. I think if any company would do this, at least alternate the holiday schedule to have employee off, would be successful.

We are human, please understand.
THAIlover
Getting my feet on the rudders and hands on YOKE!!!

FlewGSW

Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:12 am

We all need to see some more statistics.

How many flights did USAirways fly during the Christmas Holidays of 2003 verses 2004?
How many total Flight Attendants were there during the same time period in 2003 verses 2004?
What was the percentage of Flight Attendants on "reserve" status in 2003 verses 2004?

For USAirways, what is the "Sick" policy? How is it defined?

We can all post messages on what we think is a legit' reason for using sick time, but that might or might not fly in the face of what a USArways Flight Attendant represented by the AFA Union agreed to with their employer, let alone federal laws.

glideslope

Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:40 am

"This is the end, my only friend."

J. Morrison
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

toltommy

Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:02 am

FlewGSW, I was thinking the same thing....

C'mon Tango-Bravo, you want to try to spin the story, then be prepared to be challenged on it.

What percentage of active US Airways FA's does the 2004 sick calls you posted account for. And in 2003? I'll bet that the percentage of active US FA's out sick is MUCH higher this year than it was last year.

Did Mid-Atlantic have a similar percentage? Or were those folks simply happy to have a job and a paycheck again, doing what they loved? What about the WO regionals?

DAYflyer

Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:17 am

Managers are partly to blaim too, but when the airline folds next month they will look at each other and ask "what happened?" like they are surprised or something. I for one will not miss US Airways.
One Nation Under God

usdcaguy

Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:35 am

"Blaim" should be spelled "blame"...

And no, management did not simply blame the company's problems on flight attendants and ramp agents to get the judge to abrogate their contracts. It is in the interest of everyone to ensure that any concessions on the part of the unionized work groups are consensual.

It is important to note that while US management took only a 5% pay cut, most of their pay is far less than what they would be making at other carriers or even other companies. Many low-level managers already make less than flight attendants, ramp agents and fleet service agents, so the smaller pay cuts make sense. It will be interesting to see, however, if more pay cuts and more RJ's will succeed in turning the company around.

NIKV69

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:26 am

I still say that management is not to blame here. I mean they are not Angels but US can't compete. They don't have the biz pax base that AA has. They don't have the fleet that CO does and they can't even come close to the fares that WN and B6 have. So what do they have to offer. For years they charged high fares and got away with it. After the WTC when they have to take that loan to survive their fate was sealed since they have shot at paying it back. With the emergence of LCCs with better fleets and service who would you choose?

supa7E7

Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:04 am

True NIK, although US is the best service available (time wise) for many, MANY trips people take. Including the Shuttle.

Add to that a good FF program with dozens of tropical and Euro destinations. And then Star Alliance.

This has been a poor week for US Airways, but their offerings are far beyond B6 or WN, who serve comparatively few destinations (often at inferior airports) and have relatively poor FF programs (and no 1st class upgrades for top customers).

These are the reasons people still choose US. Customer loyalty is a distant, tiny factor compared to these concrete advantages. Hopefully US can use them more effectively in the coming months.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

NIKV69

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:06 am

It's almost like US was the odd airline out. WN and B6 emerged as the two premiere LCCs. AA and CO were the best if you want full service. So why would you fly US? It's sad but true. This sick out I think is the second to last nail in the coffin.

TommyBoy

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:57 am

I guess the question management should ask itself is..."How long can you beat down your employees and still expect them to go 'above and beyond' in times of need?"

You can't continue to beat people up then say.."Go out there and show the customers what a good company we are."

ScottB

Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:42 am

TOLtommy says,

"What percentage of active US Airways FA's does the 2004 sick calls you posted account for. And in 2003? I'll bet that the percentage of active US FA's out sick is MUCH higher this year than it was last year. "

Well, looking at only the percentages of the FA's that were sick isn't entirely accurate, either; you need to also look at how many flights the company was trying to operate, how many FA's were scheduled to be on duty, how many FA's are out sick on an average winter day, how many reserve FA's the company had available, etc. The company should anticipate that at least 3-5% of its flight attendants scheduled to work will be ill on any given winter day given the amount of exposure to airborne illnesses they face on a regular basis. Moreover, the company also MUST anticipate that disruptions in the operation (like snowstorms in the Midwest or high winds at PHL) will cause flight crews to exceed legal or contractual duty times. My understanding is that the only reason the company didn't run out of pilots over Christmas was the fact that the lines for December were constructed with the monthly time limits from the old contract.

Usdcaguy says, "It will be interesting to see, however, if more pay cuts and more RJ<'s will succeed in turning the company around."

Answer: It won't. US Airways' employees could work for free and their stage-length-adjusted unit costs for mainline would still be higher than WN and B6. And RJ's don't do anything to reduce unit costs; they're higher-cost than mainline, even with low salaries! If you operate an E170 against a WN 737-700, FL 717, or B6 A320, you will have higher unit costs. Your block hour cost will be lower, but that only matters if there are too many seats in the market. The most profitable airline in the U.S. operates zero RJ's.

[Edited 2004-12-31 22:07:25]

[Edited 2004-12-31 22:07:59]

jeb94

Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:43 am

I should've specified upper management. The lower level managers are as much or more a victim of the upper level greed as the other employees. Question: What is a 'full service' airline in your eyes folks? Is it having a first class cabin? If so, AirTran has that. Is it food service? Few US domestic flights have that available on any airline. Or is it a higher fair for the same flight?

FlewGSW

Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:30 am

Say, TommyBoy

My two cents worth.....

Employees (I'm not taking about anyone on this post) – I guess it is human nature that whenever you have a workforce, you get folks that are, well, sort of negative. The type that Saturday Night Live this season has done two skits about, you know the one about Debbie Downer played by Rachel Dratch. Anyway, I would expect that there are a few employees that buy into the beat down theory. But my reality does not match such outlooks.

US Airways Flight Attendants have a job, represented by a union that stipulates what you do and how much you get compensated. If the union prices their services too high, then they open their members up to market competition. And if you cannot react to the market, or in some cases the laws, then capitalism will choose the winner(s).

And if reacting causes some employees to “feel” that they are beaten down, well, they aren’t but I challenge anyone here to attempt to win that argument.

I guess it’s the old line of, “If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”

Otherwise, the unemployment line and no benefits are a possible outcome. So, for those at US Airways employees that are making lemonade, see if you can win over some “Debbie Downers”, or else they might just bring you down too…..

Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:58 am

TxAgKuwait,

BRAVO

Megadittoes!

pilotntrng

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:32 am

Im just curious, how many US Air employees are there in here?
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

Boeing7E7

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:02 am

Nothing funnier than seeing a few people soon to be out of a job attempting to move that date up. I mean, you think they'd want to keep a job as long as possible. Then again, some people are just born stupid.

Nice logic.

The real facts about the sick out... The company is no longer a going concern, and a sick out no matter how large or small is not going to improve that.

[Edited 2005-01-01 00:03:52]

AirCascadia

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:34 am

If you look at USAIR's plan even with the paycuts to there unionized staff ,they are still not breaking even ,yet you still don't blame management,would you like the employees to work for free just so this airline can keep flying for stockholders and A-net?

Lets be reasonable would you take these cuts to your salary?would you be happy?The management can try to open there collective agreements which the management agreed to! its called negotiations & you guys want to blame the worker for fighting for a decent wage how about blaming the management for once its called incompetance...& its about time they figure out how to run a company...not on the employees backs.....

So you are trying to say that some work slow downs are going to bring an airline crashing down..hmmmm the poor employees pensions must be in really good shape ,but then again who cares how they actually live when they retire as long as we all get to see there planes flying......................................

Boeing7E7

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:41 am

So you are trying to say that some work slow downs are going to bring an airline crashing down..hmmmm the poor employees pensions must be in really good shape ,but then again who cares how they actually live when they retire as long as we all get to see there planes flying......................................

The point is the airline is dead. Moves like this aren't going to make things any better. Same crap happened at Eastern in their final days. When times were good everyone got fat, some more than others, but every one got fat. No one at US complained when they bought up carrier after carrier in the 80's, passengers did when companies like PSA were gone. US never listened, and they never will.

Time for a tombstone...

RIP USAir.

Most F'd up airline in history.

AirCascadia

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:49 am

My real point is lets stop blaming the unions,these employees will be the ones out of work..the management will become new retreads at some other company, while the shareholders will take there stock losses to equal out there gains for tax purposes.

(Same crap happened at Eastern in their final days) Yup his name was LORENNZO (Hmmm management) where is TEXAS International now or peoples express or how many chapter 11's for CO.after him?Heck who would have wanted to work with that guy!

SpeedbirdHeavy

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:26 am

It's all a moot point. These employees will have plenty of time to hang out at home when they don't have their jobs anymore and the airline is grounded.

And because loading luggage into an airplane is a "highly skilled" job, they can probably get a job at McDonald's.

Way to shoot yourselves in the head!
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

Singh4US

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:37 am

Airline Troubles Highlight Sick Leave Debate

Execs Believe Many Workers Were Actually Healthy

Dec 31, 2004 5:33 pm US/Eastern

PHILADELPHIA (AP) US Airways’ manpower troubles over the Christmas holiday illustrated an old problem for companies: workers who call in sick when they are healthy enough to work.

http://kyw.com/Local%20News/local_story_366173516.html

mtnmanmakalu

Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:04 am

Boeing7E7-

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!
I do, I don't, whatever.......

AirCascadia

Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:52 pm

(And because loading luggage into an airplane is a "highly skilled" job, they can probably get a job at McDonald's.)
Speedbirdheavy I dont really know where you are getting this idea that you have the right to knock others jobs.be it what you think of these peoples jobs,funny enough its there jobs and for non skilled work force as you say these employees are ,they seem to be able to kill an airline..

Your attitude towards peoples employment is one of the biggest problems a union has with management,but time and time again we prove that the high and mighty talkers are not able to do these non skilled jobs (this would be during strike action)..So what does this tell us?well ontop of not being able to do there jobs ,they cant do the jobs of the people they manage.

But the one thing a union understands is a collective agreement and you never see us reopening the contract because we got our numbers wrong..
SO a little job action like this is minor! Where was the management during the holidays ...hint at home..because they have done such a good job......

toltommy

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:44 am

"But the one thing a union understands is a collective agreement and you never see us reopening the contract because we got our numbers wrong.."

BS.

In the late 90's every major group at UA demanded, and got their contract reopened. Every group had negotiated a long term contract as part of the ESOP. But the company was doing tooo well, and UA employees wanted their golden eggs. Shame about the goose...

DL Pilots did it as well. They had a long term contract the was negotiated during the early 90's downturn. I believe it was a 10 year deal, and the pilots union forced it open early, because UA pilots got a new deal. DL's new deal topped UA. Ironically, ALPA refused to consider opening the previous contract early, when DL was bleeding heavily after the first gulf war.

SpeedbirdHeavy

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:38 am

But the one thing a union understands is a collective agreement and you never see us reopening the contract because we got our numbers wrong..

Another thing unions understand is how to drive an airline out of business.

Sorry, but loading luggage into an aircraft is an unskilled job and these people should be thankful for the money they get to do it. It's a $6 an hour job that pays probably close to $15 or $20.

I would try like hell to hold onto that kind of job and not call in "sick."
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

AASTEW

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:49 am

Just a note folks! According to the APFA hotline during Christmas week, AA had 2,000 F/A's and 700 pilots on the sicklist. However, AA didn't have to cancel many flights due to crew issues. AA has aproximately 19,400 active F/A's and something like 10,000 active pilots. I know you can't compare AA versus US in size but, seems as though US management didn't plan correctly.

AASTEW@LGA

ANNOYEDFA

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:13 pm

ACVITALE: Sounds like 238 to 306 is all it took to do what they wanted.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ANCFlyer: So let's fire you the next time you call out sick even when your not! That's why we have sick calls. If I have a slight headache I am in no condition to fly. Maybe in your field you can work in any condition but I know I can't. Let me give you a idea of what I am talking about. I had a head cold for the past 2 weeks. I am also going on vaction at the end of the month so I decided to fly alot. Over 100 hours. Because of my head cold while flying my ears clogged and I coulden't hear a person talk let alone 4 bells and a pilot whispering BRACE BRACE. To any airline that means nothing. YOU ARE STILL FIT TO FLY! So you know what I didn't want to waste a sick call since my company didn't think I was sick enough and I flew. Now if I did call in sick I would be on a step of discipline.... WHY? Because my first year of flying I got sick with strep and tonsilitis so often I damn near had to get them taken out. I'm talking every other month. This was due to dirty air on the jets and the filthy passengers coughing and sneezing on me. So I used my sick calls like anyone else and came in with a doctors note every single time and it only landed me on termination warning. Now a year from every sick call they drop off but whenever you use a sick call it restamps your TM. So for 2 years I have been trying to get off TM but since I used two ligimate sick calls in august and oct when I usually get sick. Now I won't be off til oct of 2006. Know the rules before you comment on who should be fired.

Speedbirdheavy: I can't stand people like you and the whole McDonalds B*llshit GET REAL. If it wasen't for them having the b@lls to work a hard and underpaid job no one would be there to do it. They can all do better then McDonald's.... Why not bang around and do as you please till they are gone?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

AAstew and AA717driver: You guys are great and I always enjoy reading posts from actual airline employees. I wish there was a forum to pay to go on that was specifically for employees to chat because I can't stand half the pointless and rude comments people make when they have no idea what is it like to work for a airline in any position.
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

ORD2PHL

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:47 pm

In terms of adding some color to this claim, and while in the end this seems to have fallen clearly on the thugs...I mean...PHL rampers, does anyone know how many F/A's US had as of 12/31/04....I know that as of 12/31/03 they had about 5800 attendants, meaning that approximately 5.1% of them called out sick on 12/25/03, I'd be curious to see what that number was as a percentage for the 2004 holiday.

ORD2PHL

Source: US Airways Group 10-K Filing (2004)

toltommy

Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:30 am

I asked Tango-Bravo the same thing (see post #18)...

Notice that it's gone unanswered....

jonesy869

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:28 am

Coverage on Holidays at US has been a problem for years and with low staffing right now and low morale...what do u expect...........identify the chronic sickout holidays and offer 1 1/2 time/hr for the employees and that might help...Super bowl is known as another bad sickout day

toltommy

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:37 am

I would imagine that the holidays already ARE 1 1/2 time days. That's obviously not the answer. A mandatory doctor's note might help, but they are easy to get as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos