GulfstreamGuy
Topic Author

Boneyards For Private/business Aircraft

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:36 am

We have all seen pictures of boneyards in the desert for commercial and military aircraft but I would like to know where some of the locations of private and/or business aircraft that are no longer in service are. Where do these planes (ie, Gulfstreams, Learjets, Sabreliners, Citations, GA aircraft, etc) go when they are scrapped/retired?

Thanks,
GulfstreamGuy
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

wilcharl

RE: Boneyards For Private/business Aircraft

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:43 am

Flaggler, FL (X47) has one with alot of GA aircraft... i think the biggest thing was like a twin cessna though... mostly crashed or storm damaged birds... alot of fatal accidnets end up there and after the parties get done with the aircraft often years the corpse goes there to rest. It can be very groosem

APFPilot1985

Starships

Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:02 am

Does anyone know where all of the starships went?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

leelaw

Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:07 am

Many Starships went to Marana:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Derek Hellmann

Lex Ancilla Justitiae

APFPilot1985

Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:08 am

Wow, that picture is quite sad.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

ltbewr

Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:03 pm

It seems to me that most GA aircraft upon their final 'retirement' from service, as becoming unsafe, too much cost to repair or do major time based checks, serious/major structural/mechanical problems, usually end up at the last airport they landed at. In some cases the aircraft is used for parts, and after a while, as most of them are made of aluminum, the carcasses are sent to local junkyards and metal recyclers. You probably cannot keep a unuesable a/c too long at an important as someone has to pay the parking rent.
By the way, why were all those Beech 2000's parked? Was their a problem with that a/c?

HaveBlue

Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:30 am

Beech tried to buy back the entire fleet of Starships instead of continuing to support them. Most of them ended up at Marana, but a few still fly. There's one that still flies out of Ft. Lauderdale Executive.

Flagler X47 does have a fenced in yard with some delapidated aircraft, though I'm not sure you'd call it a boneyard. On a side note, I've heard there are only 11 SeaBee amphibious aircraft left in the world, and Flagler has 6 of them, all airworthy.
Here Here for Severe Clear!