airtran737

Midwest Airlines Rumor

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:57 am

This is just a rumor, please take it with a grain of salt.

Had a YX mechanic brake riding for me the other night, and when we were doe moving the plane we talked about a new rumor that is going around the halls of YX. Apparently there is a memo floating around regarding the possibility of YX contracting out the work that the gate agents, ticket agents, and ramp agents would all do. This included Milwaukee. Also YX is apparently going to fire LSG Skychef, and do their own inhouse catering this spring. Has anyone else heard mention of this rumor? IF YX contracted out all of their frontline employees, then they would be pretty much abandoning a huge portion of the "Best Care in the Air" policy that has governed them for so long. Like I said, this is just hear say from a mechanic and a pilot that work for YX, so we don't know if it is true.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

srbmod

RE: Midwest Airlines Rumor

Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:16 am

That's a very interesting rumor, as it would also affect other airlines as well. For example, here @ ATL, YX and F9 share a gate, with the ground handling done by YX rampers. If this happens, I would not be surprised if F9 perhaps hired rampers to handle their flights as well as Midwest's, and F9's agents handled the gate and ticketing for them. That is unless AGI ends up getting the contract (AGI used to handle Frontier, but not too long after Independence Air started up, they started using Midwest. Prior to AGI, AirTran handled Frontier flights, in fact Frontier had a very small staff @ ATL, a few ticketing agents and a station manager.), but I wouldn't be surprised if Delta Global Ground tried to get it (DGG handles all of HP's flights @ ATL).

filejw

Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:21 am

Wouldn't be unusual as the bean counters that run almost all the airlines now would contract out their Mom's if it saved them a buck.....

luv2fly

Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:26 am

Filejw

You hit the nail on the head, and also pointed out what is the problem with MOST airlines these days, the bean counters running the show.
You can cut the irony with a knife

leelaw

Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:42 am

As a former bean counter I take offense...LOL...what's better, bean counters running the show or liquidators burying the corpse?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

FutureFO

Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:57 am

The part of YX getting rid of LSG for catering is true. Our Cabin Service department here at AL (Skyway) are taking over that part of the operation, starting in the early Spring. As far as CS/Ramp being contracted out I have not heard about that at all. But the Heavy MX is being outsourced from MKE, to a seperate company.

Sean from MCO and MKE
I Don't know where I am anymore

airtran737

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:02 am

I was told that YX bought the old Signature building next to the Air Willy hangar, and that they will be opening it up for their catering operation. I thought that the old Signature building was condemned. YX will have to put a lot of money into that old place to bring it up to code. Will it actually be worth it?

flyXJT

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:09 pm

The catering is 100% true, as for the contracting...

From what I got out of the memo is that the outstations are toast and will all be contracted out. MX is already in the works (155 jobs cut there) and the ramp in MKE is next on the chopping block.

I believe the problem that they are facing with that is there is nobody (ASIG, etc) who could have the manpower to take over the operations in MKE. They are going to try to maintain the gate and ticket counter staff, so they can somewhat maintain the best care in the air idea.

If you ask me the memo sounded rather gloomy and if YX does go CH11 I highly doubt it would be anything long and drawn out like US or UA..it would probably be an over night EA type lockout.

access-air

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:27 pm

How can they out source their ground Ops.???? Or are they going to just contract with another airline to handle their flights for them??
Outsource is the wrong term to use.........

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

jeb94

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:54 pm

Man I am so glad I got away from that place almost a year ago. YX is in trouble and if they purchased that old Signature building it just goes to show that they aren't making smart business decisions. Most of us in maintenance all saw the outsourcing of the heavy checks coming almost two years ago. See, management at many airlines, not just YX, think their frontline employees, like rampers, mechanics, and groomers, are stupid. They don't understand that these people are the lifeblood of the company and as such, know whats going on and what needs to be changed often times before the upper level folks do. An example, Midwest Express was advised by employees in reservations that they should really consider dropping the 'Express' portion of the name over seven years before they actually did it. They were loosing perspective passengers because most thought that YX was a commuter outfit and didn't want to fly on little planes. After seven years management finally saw it and dropped 'Express'.

srbmod

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:58 pm

How can they out source their ground Ops.???? Or are they going to just contract with another airline to handle their flights for them??

At some airports, an airline may not have enough flights into the airport to justify having a full staff. For example, @ ATL, Frontier, Air Canada, Independence Air, America West, Hooters Air, nearly all passenger charters, and all international airlines all use either a third party handling company (@ ATL, Airport Group International, Delta Global Ground and Evergreen do this. AGI handles IAir, DGG handles HP, and Evergreen handles Vacation Express flights on D) or an have another airline handle the ramp (Air Canada has CO doing their ramp, Hooters Air uses DL, F9 uses YX, and all international airlines ( LH, KE, KL, SA, AM, JM, AF, & BA have their ground ops done by DL (Some have their own gate and ticket agents, others have DL agents that do that for them.).

[Edited 2005-01-02 05:01:22]

MEA-707

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:03 pm

Makes sense, I heared these scammers of Sky Gourmet and such charge like $ 5 or more per passenger each for even supplying a flight with peanuts and juice. I guess Midwest can organize some nice and yummy food for less $ and remain standing out in its inflight service
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

airtran737

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:09 pm

Srbmod,

You make a good point, but MKE is the hub for Midwest. Are there any airlines that have their ramp contracted out at their hub? This is a crappy idea that Tim and the boys in the Cookie Palace are dreaming up. Maybe they should fire his ass and get some new blood into the management of Midwest before they become a page in history.

FutureFO

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:41 pm

If there is a rumour of Ramp being contracted out then how come there are ramp job openings in LGA/DCA. These are posted at HQ and on the YX website. I don't think that the ramp and CS will be contracted out at all.

Sean from MCO and MKE

airtran737

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:00 am

Airlines always have jobs posted on the internet. I'm sure that when EA went under they had job openings, the same with Pan Am. I really think that Midwest is going to try to pull this move off. It would save them tons of money that they would have to pay in health benefits to their employees. Midwest is looking to stay afloat any way that they can, and this is one of the steps that they are going to take.....giving it to their employees right in the pooper.

jetdeltamsy

Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:23 am

this is the wave of the future. we're all heading that way. you can outsource these functions with workers earning 1/3 as much.

and so it goes....
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

tt737fo

Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:40 am

"Tim and the boys in the Cookie Palace are dreaming up..."

I left YX several years ago, and despite the fact that I have worked at no fewer than 3 airlines since then, I really am glad that I left.

"Cookie Palace" pretty much sums up what does or does not take place in Tim Crooksema's inner sanctum. The "Best Care in the Air" has a track history of screwing their employees. Management has refused to listen to them, and over the past five (5) years some really stupid decisions have evolved.

--Choosing IND as a "focus city". Hah. That lasted all of several months.

--Continuing to commit to OMA as a "hub". That was a loser from the get-go, and should have been discontinued long ago.

--Meanwhile, MCI was putting up big numbers. We heard all the rumors--MD-80 hub, crew base, etc. Never became an "official" hub. Never became an official crew base. The only thing "real" about MCI was the monthly crew hotel costs.

--The Dornier Jet Fiasco. Where do you start?

Recently, the company has gone from screwing its employees to screwing the customer. Instead of right-sizing and sticking to what it does best, YX schizophrenically branded a new product: "saver service" . Hah.

YX is bleeding and NW is waiting in the wings to put a round between the running lights. YX dead in its own back yard: MKE. After that, NW will pull out and MKE will be the RJ capital of Wisconsin. Asta la vista.

MaverickM11

Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:55 am

"the bean counters running the show."

Who would you rather run the show?
E pur si muove -Galileo

NikonDFW

RE: Airlines Of Yesterday

Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:20 am

I would really hate to see YX or any airline outsource jobs. YX has some really good people here at DFW, they work the 4 YX 717's and about 10 Air Midwest B1900s a day here, hate to see them leave. But, a few gates down you have half of Salvador working on the ramp at $6:00hr,and we know thats where airline management his headed these days.

akjetBlue

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:19 pm

Well I hope that YX does well and keeps its peeps. I non-rev'd on them a few months back and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had flying.

I'm taking them to GRR in two weeks and looking forward to it!

Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!

ANNOYEDFA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:39 pm

Midwest Airlines needs to get rid of this whole 2x2 seating and over staffing the flights with Flight Attendants. This airline seems like it would be a perfect fit for AIRTRAN to merger with. Get rid of the S80's and run a 717/73 service. Airtran will have ATL, MKE, and point to point flying. A perfect east west hub.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

JBo

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:17 am

Annoyedfa:

Sounds to me like you want to get rid of YX, but why? Midwest has a unique service policy with the 2x2 seating and such. Sure, they're struggling, but what airline isn't right now? (besides the "LCCs").

The thought of YX outsourcing their customer service and rampers is a bit unnerving, but this is most likely just a rumour.

Especially since this came from a YX mechanic, and I do believe that YX is on the verge of outsourcing their maintenance.

Call me hopelessly optimistic, but I think once a few of these other airlines die off, it'll really help the others, YX included.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

FutureFO

Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:28 pm

The heavy MX outsourcing is all ready happening. The catering will be transferred over from LSG Skychefs to us here at Skyway. That will happen in the spring. Hope that the ramp and CS get to stay. But there are a few disgruntled Mechanics who are losing their jobs here in MKE.

Sean from MCO and MKE

ANNOYEDFA

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:35 pm

I don't want to get rid of any airline. I actually like Midwest alot but it's not working out. They can make money I would think if they offered a Coach and First cabin. Bring back that old signature service in first and I am sure lots of people won't mind flocking to them!

GSPSPOT

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:54 pm

I'd fly them for sure under those circumstances, Annoyedfa. Getting better service and more room, but not having to pay the Legacy's FC fares is a great idea. I'd gladly pay more for more service, if it was offered...
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

JBo

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:28 am

I would like to see YX go back to the old signature service. Hopefully someday they will when things pick back up. I don't think they wanted to reduce service, either. Though it may sound harsher than intended, once these weaker carriers are gone and things (hopefully) pick up, YX will probably bring back the old service.

hz747300

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:03 am

Bean counters have to run the show. Any organization's primary goal is to make money (profit). There are two ways to do that, bring more money in--top line (revenues) approach, or push less money out--bottom line approach.

The reason bean counters are hated is because they use logic and reason to make the tough decisions. Whereas others rely on passion and platitudes to pretend to make tough decisions.

At the end of the day, management has to answer to the owners of the company. Not the gal loading suitcases into the belly, not the kind lady making reservations on the phone, and not even the men and women flying the planes--bean counters are held responsible.
Keep on truckin'...

airtran737

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:43 am

I heard some YX pilots talking about my original post while on the employee bus tonite. They were saying that they heard that ASIG/Signature would be taking over the YX ramp.

Ilovenz

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:07 pm

Someone a while back suggested standardizing the fleet with Coach/Business config. What about doing this for west-coast flights and flights to Florida, even out of MCI, but then keeping some 2x2 717s on those faithful east-coast routes? They would keep their business-customer base and would perform better in the LCC market. I've heard little discussion on how MCI is working as a base.

As a Wisconsinite, I have tons of pride in YX. However, my last several flights with them between PHX and MKE have made me want to switch back to HP. All have been delayed, and we always had to fly low. Is this because of the MD-80's range?

I agree with Annoyedfa, get rid of the -80's. It seems like the 737-800/700/600 would do great on routes from MKE to PHX or SFO (which they once flew) or San Diego.

Anyway, to stay with the topic, hopefully this will give YX the cash it needs to implement such changes.

By the way, what are they gonna do about their feeder since Fairchild-Dornier went bust?

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:11 pm

All have been delayed, and we always had to fly low. Is this because of the MD-80's range?

I dont know, but for some reason the MD-80 seems to always outspeed the HP 737 to PHX.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Ilovenz

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:12 pm

(to JpetekYXMD80)
Ok, must just be my memory then.

Boeing7E7

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:19 pm

The only outsourcing at Midwest is Heavy Maintenance (new) and under wing at outstations (which has been done in the past, but not on a scale this large).

ANNOYEDFA

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:22 pm

The only reason I would say get rid of the 80's of that type of merger would happen is only because the 73 is more efficent.... I love the 80 over a 73. I think if they kept those big seats in first and had something like a economy plus cabin in the back with more seats. They would see more revenue.....

airtran737

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:41 pm

I don't know if we (AirTran) would want a merger with YX. An acquisition in Bankruptcy court would be a better option in my opinion. We had a lot of troubles when Valujet bought AirTran and merged the pilot seniority lists. The lawsuits dragged on for quite a while. It would be nice to have a Milwaukee hub, especially being that I work in MKE. Time will only tell. A little bird told me that YX is poised to announce another quarterly loss of about 10 million give or take. I don't want to see YX go out of business, but something has to change at the Cookie Palace. Tim has been running the show for way too long, and Midwest badly needs some new blood running through its veins.

Mizzou65201

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:57 pm

I grew up in MKE and still live there about 1/4 of the year. I just don't think YX can make it as essentially a MKE O&D airline--and a primarily east coast one at that. The route network is smaller (or at least feels smaller) than it did 10 years ago. Now that I live in LAX it's increasingly apparent that the west coast is not a priority to YX. It really wouldn't surprise me one bit for YX to announce one day it was moving its measly 1 M88/day to LAX to MCO service.

So, what's the incentive for the customer? Better service, though Saver has even diminished that. Loyalty to YX gets you award tickets to a handful of flights to a handful of destinations. Loyalty to, say, NW or UA gets you a worldwide network plus the benefit of ST or *A. No wonder NW is on the prowl.

Even in MKE I get the sense that YX's appeal is quickly slipping. When the hometown airline loses the hometown, it's bad news.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:20 pm

YX needs to refocus: the front half: bizclass, back half: saver...screw the mixed fleet crapola.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

FutureFO

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:28 am

It will stay the same way for a while with the M80's and the 717's. I like the saver service as it gives me a great opportunity to commute. The more seats the better as far as I am concerned. I did catch a flight last week to TPA that was downgraded from the M82 to the 717. It was a great downgrade to be honest with you. If YX keeps going like they are, maybe there will be a new type a/c to come along. Hopefully the 73g/738. Considering they fly all Boeing products. I know that alot of the outstations are probably going to see the contract ramp before MKE. As far as the 328's for AL, we are probably going to get the 10 we have financing for that are sitting in MYR. Also we are expecting an announcement as to which EMB pwoduct we are getting in the next year or so.

Sean from MCO and MKE

JBo

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:00 am

I believe that Skyway is supposed to get the ERJ-140, at least that's what shows on Embraer's website has having been ordered.

FutureFO

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:10 am

We'll only know when they tell us we have to go to recurrent to learn the new a/c. Hopefully we will get something larger than the ERD. Hopefully the 170. Since there is no scope clause with YX. But we won't really know until 2006 as to what we are being told right now.

Sean from MCO and MKE

airtran737

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:23 am

Skyway has been pushing back the EMB order for quite some time. As far as the 328's that are in MYR, Skyway can kiss those goodbye, because from what I hear out of the pilots union, the Delta deal is pretty much ready to fall through. Skyway has stopped all new-hire classes, and they will probably have to furlough in the future. There are way to many pilots. Most captains have a schedule with only 40 hours per month, but Skyway has to pay their guarantee of 70 hours. So you have two guys doing the work of one, but you have to pay benefits for two. Make sense? To me, no. To the boys in the Cookie Palace? Maybe.

Midwest is poised to announce another 10 million dollar loss, and it will only continue. You cant make money running a 717 with only 88 seats on it, especially with how cut throat MKE has become. NW has jumped onto almost every YX route out of here, and the fares are coming down. Saver service is a bomb. Granted there 143 seats on the Mad Dogs, but the west coast flights are constantly weight restricted which causes 15 or so seats per flight to go out empty. Factor in the empty seats, fuel burn, and cheap fares, and the MD-80's are in the same boat at the 717's. Except the MD-80's dont have foot rests and classical music playing when you board. YX should drop this low yield west coast crap and find a niche. Northwest has them by the balls. In 2005 NW will enplane more people out of MKE than YX will (excluding Skyway) Midwest is slowly loosing their "Hometown Airline" feel.

Midwest needs a new business strategy fast. SO far their strategy has been to sell all of the things that they own, including the Cookie Palace,and their brand new hangars. All of their planes are leased, and with no collateral how will they be able to get financed for investments? Fire everyone who is running Midwest, and bring in some new blood. They need a David Neelman, or someone with vision to see them through this.

Sorry for the rant.

FutureFO

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:48 am

Aitran737,

We have a new class coming in on 15Mar for inflight. We are also looking for people in our outstations. The 328's we all ready have financing for may not neccessarilly go to DL. There is a strong possibility that they may end up here in MKE before long. The EMB's are all ready reserved in our FAM's. So I would think that something will be happening one way or the other.

Sean from MCO and MKE

FutureFO

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:51 am

To: Midwest Airlines Employees
Date: December 28, 2004
Subject: 2005 Outlook on Cost Competitiveness

The traumatic changes we have experienced over the past several years signal major and permanent changes in the airline industry. The formula for survival in this highly competitive industry, where margins are razor thin, will be driven by the ability to be cost competitive. As customer purchasing decisions become more price-driven, those airlines that are most successful in driving down their own costs will be the ones to see a return to profitability. We certainly want Midwest to be among the survivors.

Analysts project we will lose $40 million in 2004 – the single greatest loss in our 20-year history. Our goal for 2005 is to break even on cash flow. Under our current revenue and spending patterns, we cannot do that. While significant revenue initiatives are underway, we have a great deal of work to do to bring our costs into alignment with those of our competitors. We are currently analyzing several items that may impact employees, and we want you to know about them as the analysis proceeds. We will be conducting employee Community Meetings in January to tell you more about these items and how they may affect you and our company.

Cost Reduction Through Outsourcing
The decision to outsource heavy maintenance will generate several million dollars in savings annually. It is also possible that outsourcing some customer services at stations and in Milwaukee could also produce substantial savings, if it makes good sense from both an economic and branding perspective. We are studying those options now. Other outsourcing opportunities include some functions in engineering, occupational health and safety and revenue accounting. These will be evaluated in early January.

Competitive Employee Benefits
As we look at our competitors and other businesses outside our industry, we see that some of our benefit programs are more costly than many other companies. For example, we are examining potential changes in our leave policies. TAD (temporary alternative duty) policies are another area under review. As we look at the market, we also see that our benefits for part-time employees and retirees may be more costly than the norm. Additionally, we are studying the need to pay new hires during initial training. Other administrative functions related to compensation are also under consideration for cost savings, such as direct deposit of paychecks. It is not our plan to return to pay cuts and freezes that were imposed in the past.

Cost Considerations Will Become the Norm
The search for savings will be ongoing. This is not "belt tightening" to get through 2005 in the hope that 2006 will bring relief. As our competitors continue to wring savings out of their operations, we will have to do the same. The long-term viability of our airline requires nothing less. While we absolutely must focus on cost, we will not lose sight of the fact that our employees are the best in the business. We will do our best to balance both as we work toward the long-term success of our airline and the jobs it provides for our employees.

Our analysis is not complete and decisions on these items have not been made. However, we want to share with you our thoughts about the future and our plans for addressing the challenges we face. We will continue to communicate with you as progress is made on these and future efforts. We look forward to our January Community Meetings at which we will discuss the urgency for our company to become cost competitive.

As we focus on cost, we cannot overlook the critical role that our employees play in delivering exceptional customer service. As we see our competitors continue to push on the cost side of the equation, we must strive to differentiate our product by continuing to care for our customers in ways that no other airline can. Customer satisfaction and loyalty will be major components of our future success.

We ask for your understanding during these challenging times. As soon as our assessments are complete and decisions are made, you will be notified.

BR715-A1-30

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:39 pm

I also hear that before that they have ordered more 717s (exercised some of their options..)
Puhdiddle

jeb94

Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:56 pm

That seems like a standard Hucksterma letter. "Our employees are the best but we're putting them out on the street anyway." Also the classic, "You all work so hard and are so wonderful that we're going to raise the cost of your benefits, decrease the quality of your benefits, reduce the number of benefits, and cut your pay because of our bad decisions here in the cookie palace. This way we can pay someone $65,000 for moving expenses so he can join our inner circle and receive $150,000+ bonuses like the rest and I can continue getting my $300,000 a year bonuses."

AA737-823

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:08 am

It is my understanding (from the 717 termination thread) that Boeing is set to deliver EIGHT MORE 717s to YX. What on EARTH is Midwest going to do with eight more airplanes? Their load factors are already pitiful, and all the DC-9s are already gone, so it's not a one-for-one replacement.... it's additional metal!

I like that airline, but geesh- looks like rough times ahead.

mkeflyer717

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:11 am

I've also wondered what YX is going to do with their next 8 planes. I feel that Midwest should make all their MD-80's saver service and possibly use them on Florida markets round year. There will still be some extra MD-80's left and I think it would be good for them to add some more west coast routes. Now with the 8 extra 717's Midwest is going to have to do some serious planning and place them on routes they feel will produce the largest loads. Possibly open a few new markets out of MCI. I sure hope Midwest has a good plan for the next couple of years I sure don't want to see this airline disappear. Also what are the chances YX would make their seasonal flights to FLL, RSW, and TPA round year?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Avoid the Chicago ORDeal!! Fly MKE!

bistro1200

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:43 pm

Additionally, we are studying the need to pay new hires during initial training.
---
I can imagine the kind of employees this will bring in! I suppose staff that work for free really *are* the best in the industry! That's got to be worth a big statue at the Airline CEO award banquet.
Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.