rolo987

What Does The Word Lufthansa Mean?

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Does the word Lufthansa actually translate into an English word or phrase? If so, what does it mean?

Newark777

RE: What Does The Word Lufthansa Mean?

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:43 pm

Put it into the AltaVista translator; didn't come up with anything.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

northwest 777

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:45 pm

I don't know German so I can't help exactly but doesn't Luftwaffe mean airforce? So I would assume that Lufthansa is "Air" something. Boy, what a help I was... Big grin

Sjoerd

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:47 pm

This is what the 2 seperate words mean :

Luft = the air
Hansa = an alliance, a union of something

So an alliance of the air or air-alliance ?

Sjoerd
Flanders + Wallonnia + Brussels = the UNITED STATES of BELGIUM

STLUAL747

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:47 pm

I have a hard enough time trying to remember how to say Lufthansa. It is one heck of a word to pronounce. It would be nice to know what I am saying though when I am able to spit it out correctly.

Josh
Lonely in Deserted St. Louis.

Checo77

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:49 pm

Luft is air. Hansa can be a name, butI don´t think hansa means something (please, correct me if I´m wrong).
Regards,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

TACAA320

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:02 pm

I also don't speak German. But I found in internet that Luft = Air, and regarding Hansa the folowing:

"Wörterbuch
Deutsch - Englisch Deutsch - Spanisch

15 45 75 German - English German - Spanish whole word search substring search
|

Neu: Jetzt kostenlos unter "Anmelden" registrieren und Sprachbeispiele der Übersetzungen hören.

5 Ergebnisse German - English substring search »

Hansa {f} - Hansa
Hansa {f} - Hanseatic League (hist.)
[ Personenname ] - Hansard
[ Personenname ] - Khansari
[ Personenname ] - Thansamai "

Apparently is a "name". Hope some german speaking a.netter help us in this regard.!

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

future757

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:07 pm

I know some German and I have been trying to figure this out myself. I know Luft is air, but I don't know what hansa means. There has got to be someone on here that speaks German that can answer this.

N766UA

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:09 pm

I'm pretty sure Hansa is a company... IE Hansa House and the Hansa Group. And Luft obviously means air so, thus, Air Hansa.

[Edited 2005-01-02 06:12:04]
This Website Censors Me

Newark777

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:14 pm

Is "loof - tansa" the correct way to say it? That is the way I've been saying it, I hope I have been doing it correctly.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

PPVRA

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Check this out:

http://konzern.lufthansa.com/en/html/ueber_uns/geschichte/chronik/index.html

It doesn't say exactly what it means but it gives some explanation. Since LH was formed by a merger between airlines it could mean "air-alliance"

PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Tango-Bravo

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:58 pm

"Luft" is German for air. The meaning of "hansa" is more abstract. A friend whose first language is German has told me that, while difficult to translate to English, "hansa" in the title Lufthansa means something like merchants, especially alluding to merchants of the Hanseatic League, who took their businesses to the world in speedy clipper ship merchant vessels. Like many German words, the meaning depends very much on context, which means the best translation, in English, for Lufthansa is something like high speed airborne international commerce -- which sounds awkward in English but is nicely stated in a 3-syllable word formed by contraction in German.

BEG2IAH

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:02 pm

Guys, how about waiting for some German A.net member to explain it?

BEG2IAH

JoFMO

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:02 pm

"Hansa" is the latin form of the word "Hanse". The word is often used as an element in names of big shipping or airline companies.
"Hanse" was the name used for the community of (mostly German) traders between the 12th and 19th century.
(source: wissen.de)

Some history:
Many cities between Flandre and the Baltic became member of the Hanse. All big coastal towns in Germany like Bremen, Hamburg, Lubeck, Rostock still have Hanse in their official title (Free and Hansetown Hamburg, or Free and Hansetown Bremen). That's by the way the reason why their car numbers still all beginning with an H (HH, HB, HL, HRO). Also caused by this tradition of the Hanse is the fact that the cities of Bremen and Hamburg are full federal states at the same time. They are (together with Berlin, but that is due to it's former dividence) the only three cities of this status in Germany.

JoFMO

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:18 pm

Tango-Bravo:

Your translation doesn't sound bad. But the fact that I had to look what Hansa exactly means shows that we usually doesn't make us clear every day what the direct meaning of the word is.
It is more something of an artificial word and can be compared to the creation of other brand names. It is not really useful to translate it by the meaning of every word. Even we don't do it.

Spell it "looft hansa".

Is 'Hanseatic League' the common English name for this medieval traders union?
Then we just call it "Hanse" and it is that what I described above.

N743AS

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:22 pm

Pretty sure it might be german
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann

AirIndia

Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:57 pm

luft is air , as many of you are correct.

"hansa" is the hindi word for swan, if you please. lufthansa apparantly means the swan in the air. It may sound a bit funny with an indian word in german airline but if I have my source correct, this is the truth.

PanAm747

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:16 pm

The full name is Deutsche Lufthansa Aktiengesellschaft (the last part abbreviated usually as AG)...how's that for a mouth full!!

German Flying Corporation Joint Stock Company

Just to be fair to the Latin Languages, the full name of Mexicana is Compañia Mexicana de Aviación S.A. de C.V., which if fully extended is "Company Mexican of Aviation, Society Anonymous of Capital Variable", or more properly, "Mexican Aviation Company, Anonymous Society of variable capital", meaning different investors hold different amounts.

I think the "hansa" in Hindi is beautiful, but most probably a coincidence...isn't the Lufthansa bird a crane?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

tbear815

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:34 pm

I honestly think if we apply the name "Air Germany" (English/American) it would make much more sense to the layman. Of course it all goes back to the Hanseatic League (again English). As has been written, "hansa" has various interpretations. Luft Hansa is the airline of Germany - simple, worldwide, and of excellent quality. Danke.....

Tbear

DeltaWings

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:41 pm

"Hanse" was the name used for the community of (mostly German) traders between the 12th and 19th century.

Yes, you beat me to it! I guess I didnt get up early enough, argghh, because it is sunday

Smile

DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Leskova

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Sorry, AirIndia, but the Hindi word for swan really doesn't figure in LH's name - that's a coincidence... and, yes, the bird on LH planes is a crane.

It has to do with the "Hanseatische Liga" - but, as JoFMO already mentioned, it's not really a term that's used in everyday lift: I guess most people in German speaking countries simply see "Lufthansa" as a name, without really thinking about what it meens.

But I guess that the aforementioned "air alliance" or something like "air fleet" would probably come closest.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

berlinflyer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Hi, as others mentioned before "Luft" means Air and "Hansa" is an old fashioned word for something that has been united. Lufthansa was originally been formed out of two airlines a very long time ago, so this is the reason for the name. Translated it would mean "Air Union" or "Air United" or even "United Airlines" if you want..

NumberTwelve

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:27 pm

Luft - air
Hanse is a cooperation/joint venture from sales people.
The word is an old German word - today we would say band, alliance or gaggle.

In German language the word "Hanse" is very uncomon, you can read and see it in titles of names like Hamburg, Luebeck, Bremen, Rostock (all these cites are Hansecities, so they are called Hansestadt Hamburg, Hansestadt Luebeck etc). These cities were part of an alliance of cities all over the world but mostly in Northern Germany and Scandinavia.

Correct pronounciation I guess is Looft-Hunsa (last letter sounds like the "u" in Hansa).

And no, Schreiner, it wasn't Hitler's private airline, he only used different things for propaganda - Airline, railway, iron companies etc.

[Edited 2005-01-02 14:31:15]
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:08 pm

Historically, the Weimar Republic (1920s) predecessor of Luft Hansa (Spelled in two words until the 1950s), was the DERULUFT, the Deutsch-Russische Luftfahrtgesellschaft (German-Russian Aviation Company), an airline, which was flying mostly around the Baltic, connecting the young Soviet Union, the former German eastern provinces (Eastprussia) and the Baltic states with Germany. They operated from 1921 until 1926 under this name.
See:http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/deru.htm
In 1926, after a merger with another airline, Deutscher Aero Lloyd, the name was changed to Deutsche Luft Hansa.
Due to their main operational area, it was decided to use a name based on the medieval Hanseatic league of merchants, who´ve been trading mainly around the Baltic and North Sea, though later during the late 1920s, early 1930s, they pioneered theuse of flying boats with catapult take off for mail flights to South America and had routes to China.
The airline operated under this name until the end of WW2 in 1945, though the Nazis during their take over of the German government in 1933 let the Lufthansa administration fall directly under Goering´s Air Department (the airline was then considered to be a government department, e.g. at the beginning of the Spanish Civil War, when General Franco´s troops were stuck in the at this time Spanish colony of Morrocco (the Navy and Spanish air force refused to participate in the fascist coup d´etat), Luft Hansa was ordered to send some Ju-52 3M planes to Morrocco to ferry the rebellious soldiers over to continental Spain. Luft Hansa was also used during WW2 for military transport flights and crew training.

After WW2, Germany was banned from having any aviation until 1956.
When the Deutsche Lufthansa AG was founded in 1956, the name was deliberately changed into one word to show that it was a different company and not a legal successor of the pre war Luft Hansa. This way they avoided having to take up claims against the old Luft Hansa.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

solnabo

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:17 pm

LuftHansa = Air Trade

Mike / SE Big grin
Airbus SAS - Love them both

BMI701EGCC

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:18 pm

i thought Lufthansa translated to "Airtrade"?

Scott Waterworth
BMI701EGCC
G-PATI-"G-PATI, Back inbound to Barton"MCT APR-"G-PATI, Continue, Keep lookout on VFR traffic"

solnabo

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:22 pm

BMI:

Yes it does, Lufthansa = Airtrade.

Big thumbs up Mike

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:55 pm

Solnabo,

No, it doesn´t!

Airtrade would be Lufthandel

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

patroni

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:57 pm

"Air Trade" would be more "Luft Handel".

The relation back to the Hanseatic league is absolutely correct.

Cheers,
Tom

Starlionblue

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:04 am

As many have said, the Hanseatic league gave the word "Hansa", which in modern German has a "trading" or "company" connotation. IIRC Hansa is also used in the abbreviations for some former Hanseatic cities on German license plates:
HH=Hansa Hamburg
HB=Hansa Bremen

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansa
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

solnabo

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:12 am

In the 14-15 century many german ships came to Sthlm n Visby and it was called a hansa towns (hansa stad ; old swedish) selling n buying stuff...

source: Nationalencyklopedin

Micke  Laugh out loud

FRA2DTW

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:17 am

Achtung: "Air Commercial Association" (or "Air Commercial League") probably comes closest to what was intended by those who chose this name way back when. They definitely wanted to link the name to the old Hanseatic League. Auf Wiedersehen!

GRZ-AIR

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:21 am

Ask Wikipedia  Big grin :

The company was founded in 1926, following a merger between "Deutsche Aero Lloyd" (DAL) and "Junkers Luftverkehr" on January 6 of that year. The original spelling of the company's long name was Deutsche Luft Hansa Aktiengesellschaft. The name Lufthansa derives from Luft (the German word for "air") and Hansa (the Hanseatic trade organization that ruled large parts of Northern Europe during the medieval times).

Link for explanation of "HANSA" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansa

I also recall an article in the FLUGREVUE which I read years ago where it says that the Northern German Port and Trading cities (Hamburg etc..) where referred to as "Hansestädte" = Hansecities in English.
Also, isn't the Licenseplate Code for Hamburg a double H (HH-Hansestadt Hamburg)..

I think all of this lead to this unique name.

Cheers,

Patrick
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

pelican

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:22 am

Hansa refers back to the Hanseatic league as staten before. But Air Trade or Air Alliance isn't completly far-fetched because the Hanseatic league was an alliance of traders. So it's possible the founders had trade and alliance in their minds when they choose the name "Luft Hansa".

@ Jan one slightly correction to your historical overview: the new "Deutsche Lufthansa" was founded in 1953 as "Aktiengesellschaft für Luftverkehrsbedarf" (Luftag) which was renamed to "Deutsche Lufthansa" in 1954 and started with its first scheduled flights in April 1955.

pelican

AC

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:34 am

Thanks for all information. It is interesting to know how the word should be pronounced. In China (and Hong Kong), Lufthansa has been officially translated into chinese words which are pronounced as "horn-sa" which are absolutely meaningless in chinese.

"Looft" sound has been ignored in the translation so I can guess that "Hansa" gives more meaning to the whole name.
I Believe I Can Fly...

Spike

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:41 am

That's a shame since Lufthansa has a longer history of flights to China bar one (PIA). I'd have thought China would have been more inventive than that! What is BA called as a matter of interest?

mattdavies1988

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:03 am

A German person that I spoke to about it, people at an aviation museum in Germany and my former German teacher all said that in this context it means "airline"

Luft = Air
Hansa = Line

and this makes sense to me. The people in Germany also added that this was acceptable as not many countries in the world speak German and I suppose that it is the perfect name for an airline?

Hope this helps

, Matt

NumberTwelve

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:06 am

Mattdavies, hopefully your German teacher has retired - because it's absolutely nonsense.

Sure a name like "Air Line" makes sence but Hansa is a community, cooperation, alliance and no Line.

Shamrock_747

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:26 am

Back at school my german teacher told me Lufthansa meant "The league of flying". Though I'm not trying to imply he was correct!

NumberTwelve

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:32 am

Shamrock, maybe this is a good translation. LH had partner airlines in South America (Condor, nothing to do with TUI Condor) and East Asia ("Eurasia" Airlines).
Hehe, maybe one of the first alliances  Wink/being sarcastic

FRASYD

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:33 am

Jeez, around 15 people in this topic have explained it correctly now, why don't you just accept it?

Vimanav

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:35 am

While Luft means air, the 'hansa' indeed comes from the Hanseatic shipping lines of the 17th and 18th centuries. So it came to mean basically "shipping line of the air". Our instructor (a 30+ years LH veteran since retired) explained this during the course of our basic LH Passenger Training Course at Seeheim way back in 1993.

"hansa" is the hindi word for swan, if you please. lufthansa apparantly means the swan in the air. It may sound a bit funny with an indian word in german airline but if I have my source correct, this is the truth.

Air India...

I was under a similar impression as you were. But unfortunately it is not factually correct.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

NumberTwelve

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:38 am

"lufthansa apparantly means the swan in the air"

Never heared that before - I only see the crane (bird, not machine), not the swan.

JAGflyer

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:49 am

Deutsche Lufthansa = German Air Alliance or Company?

Just as LOT is : Poliski Lotnicze Linie = Polish Air(flight) Line

I originally thought "Hansa" was some sort of cargo/transport related word.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

mattdavies1988

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:03 am

No my former German teacher has not retired as my younger brother has him as his teacher  Smile

Looking in a dictionary and on internet translators I cannot find out what Hansa means!

, Matt

JoFMO

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:10 am

that why I explaied that Hnasa is the latinized form of Hnase. Look for Hnase and you will clearly find something in your dictionary.

Leskova

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:32 am

JoFMO - I doubt he'll find something while looking for "Hnase"...  Big grin ... "Hanse" would be a better word to look for...
Smile - it confuses people!

travellin'man

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:37 am

Part of the significance of referring to the Hanseatic League is that it is considered part of the dawning of the modern age of Western culture. In an era dominated by emperors whose power derived from the ownership of land and the usage of war to enforce that primacy, the Hansastaedte were an expression of a new independent mindset, one founded on cities, more participatory political administrations, legal process, international trade and money rather than on land, birthright and war. (Later on in Italy the free cities of Florence, Pisa and Genoa, among others, would also challenge imperial authority, and the autonomy they achieved helped spur on the Renaissance.) In the postwar period, when Germany struggled to free itself from the imperial ego that lingered throughout Europe from the 19th century and which Hitler had fired up, Germany chose the 'Hansa' for the airline to highlight a different aspect of their past, one which was founded on peace more than war, and which suited a more modern outlook for the 20th century.
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

sharpnfuzzy

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:44 am

Just as LOT is : Poliski Lotnicze Linie = Polish Air(flight) Line

Actually the full name is: Polskie Linie Lotnicze LOT.
The word "LOT" itself means "Flight".

ZKOJH

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:47 am

lufthansa = let you F**k the hosest and never say anything

wellcome 2005

Vietnam time..