OPNLguy
Topic Author

And Now, Some -good- News For USAirways...

Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:34 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MarkTPA

RE: And Now, Some -good- News For USAirways...

Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:42 am

I am glad people got home safely, I don't think they will be around much longer. I don't give them 6 months, if that long.

Cactus739

Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:44 am

Soo...they got through the weekend without stranding hundreds of people and thousands of bags?

Wow.... I wish all airlines were that good!
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

uswyjer

Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:52 am

As soon as some good news comes out, there are those who are ready to pounce on it and disregard it! How about taking it for what it is, US got over 100 employees to volunteer and help out at PHL this weekend, and from what I've read in this article and others the pax and employees enjoyed dually.

B4REAL

Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:04 am

I am reading this right as only 100 US employees helped out in the call that was made by management?
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

swatpamike

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:03 pm

3 weeks

swatpamike

luv2fly

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:06 pm

It might be to little to late, at least they now are trying.
You can cut the irony with a knife

SHUPirate1

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:46 pm

You guys keep forgetting, that in the months of October and November, US Airways' cash position improved, somewhat dramatically in October (113 million dollars), and sizeably in November (32 million dollars). If the airline posts positive cashflow for December (likely, if I had to guess, although not certain given their problems) and January, and gets approval to continue to use the ATSB loan money past February 15th, I would give US Airways a pretty good chance of survival, although regaining passenger loyalty will be difficult and crucial. That said, if the airline has any of those not happening, then the employees at the airline would likely be best off refining their resumes.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

AAplatnumflier

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:47 pm

Agreed, 3 weeks left of US Airways

Maitner777

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:56 pm

I am worried now about being able to take my caribbean trip in March? I purchased a ticket several months ago into SXM via US Airways for late March. If they do begin liquidation, will I be out of luck?

CPDC10-30

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:41 pm

I purchased a ticket several months ago into SXM via US Airways for late March. If they do begin liquidation, will I be out of luck?

If you bought the ticket on your credit card you should be OK.

ScottB

Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:23 pm

"If you bought the ticket on your credit card you should be OK."

Actually, that is not true. The law only gives you 60 days from the statement billing date containing the charge to dispute that charge with your credit card company. If you bought that ticket more than three months ago, your credit card can refuse to refund that money (even though that may end up being a poor customer-retention policy).

QuestAir

Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:45 pm

I flew US Airways extensively back in February and April of 2004 and it's amazing to compare them to when I flew in them in April 2000. I remember in the in-flight magazine, Attaché, Steve Wolf had a full-page column!
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

BostonGuy

Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:19 pm

Spending the weekend trying to kiss-up to customers because many of those customers were treated like dirt the previous weekend isn't what I call "Good News".

It's called desperation.

Last gasp.

The end.

GMUAirbusA320

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:00 am

I only hope they're around long enough to cash in my ticket for PHX Jan 18-22nd. A great airline..now almost dead.

deltairlines

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:03 am

The latest I'm giving them is the end of this quarter...Q1 tends to be the hardest quarter for the airline industry, and with US Airways already on the downhill slope from the past week or two, and with Northeast weather soon to start up (which can wreak havoc on operations at BOS, LGA, PHL, and DCA - some of US' key markets), it might just be too steep of a mountain to climb.

It is quite a shame though - I've flown US a few times in the past couple of years, and received excellent service, be it at check-in, at the US Airways Club in GSO, from gate agents to the aircraft, whether or not I was in First Class or the back of the bus.

Jeff

eta unknown

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:10 am

US Airways is like a cockroach that just wont die- no matter how many times you try to exterminate it. I wish the airline would go away though- enough is enough! There's still too many seats chasing too few pax in the USA.

pilotntrng

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:27 am

I really should stop reading these posts about US Air. You non-airline folks have no clue what's goin on inside the company. I wish you would stop with your theories about the downfall of US Air. IF you don't like the company so be it, but employees like myself, don't appreciate comments like "US Airways is like a cockroach that just wont die- no matter how many times you try to exterminate it. I wish the airline would go away though- enough is enough! There's still too many seats chasing too few pax in the USA".

You give us 3 weeks, huh? Give me a break. We will be around a little longer than that my friend. Yes we are struggling and I don't have a very good outlook, but cut us some slack would ya?

Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

FriendlySkies

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:38 am

...and gets approval to continue to use the ATSB loan money past February 15th...

Wasn't the ATSB dissolved? And if not, I highly doubt they will give US an extention, after their excuses for not giving UA a loan, I doubt they will be giving any more. Especially now that the majority of those who got loans filed for Chap 11 after they got them!

aa777flyer

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:43 am

I purchased a ticket several months ago into SXM via US Airways for late March. If they do begin liquidation, will I be out of luck?

Not necessarily. The law passed by the ATSB requires other airlines to accept your ticket and confirm you on a flight. Most airlines do charge a small service fee of around $25.00 to do this. So if US does CH7 before your trip, you will not be totally out of luck.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

AEROFAN

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:50 am

Well, I hope they are around for a while longer. At least their shuttle operations. I've just taken their shuttle from LGA-DCA. Two nice flights not to mention a helluva a lot cheaper than DL as well. $116.20 compared to $347.00 on DL

ANCFlyer

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:52 am

The law passed by the ATSB requires other airlines to accept your ticket and confirm you on a flight.

Unless I missed something, that law expired, and "other" air carriers are no longer required to accept tickets from defunkt carriers. . .

Beware
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

luv2fly

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:56 am

I do believe Bush signed the bill to remain in effect.
You can cut the irony with a knife

GARUDAROD

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:05 am

I will tell you a sure fire sign the end is near. As soon as the 2 for 1 airfares
go on sale, time to turn out the Light because the party is over. That is the
final act of desperation to try and raise some cash. Until that time and
barring any further operational meltdowns, US still has a fighting chance.
Now if a major blizzard happens to strike and shuts down flights for days on
end, that too will probably be Death knocking at the door.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

elcapi1980

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:12 am

I am glad people got home safely, I don't think they will be around much longer. I don't give them 6 months, if that long
-----------------------------------------------------------

3 weeks

I only hope they're around long enough to cash in my ticket for PHX Jan 18-22nd. A great airline..now almost dead
Come on people......US Airways may not be the best airline in the whole US continent, but it is not the worst either....At least all my experiences(7 in 2004) were not bad, who are we to wish them the worst or to say how long are they going to last, I bet that none of those who posted bad things about US Airways do not even flight them, or had to experience the chaos that happened in Christmas because some employees(not all of them) called sick.
I addition, wishing the worst to them, not only will affect the company itself (40000 direct employees + families), but many of pax that booked(to support or best deal) their trip with them for vacation, work or whatever.....so before
saying anything....!!!!! THINK !!!!
I love you barranquilla!!!!!

DAYflyer

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:17 am

Who cares if the cash position improved 2 months out of 26. It's absurd to think that they will survive. The federal bailout loan runs until the end of this month and without that they don't have a prayer.....

Start collecting your US Airways memororabelia now folks.

One Holiday without a ton of bags misdirected? This happens every day at other airlines, including other bankrupt airlines like UAL.

I hope the employees get new jobs quickly.
One Nation Under God

Argonaut

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:24 am

Call me sentimental, but lately I've been giving my business to US whenever I can. I just don't want USAirways to die. I'm in favour of having as many airlines around as possible (I know, it's not realistic...) because I like commercial aviation---and because I like having a choice. If I'm flying out of Philly I simply don't want to be faced with a choice of flying WN or WN or WN or WN. Yes it's cheap...and you get what you pay for. That's fine, as long as it's not the only show in town. For an agreeable travel experience, put me on a Greyhound every time.

I'm not in the airline business, but I am definitely with Pilotntrng all the way. Two of his colleagues happen to live next door to me, and I really want them to keep their jobs (not least because they LIKE doing what they do for a living).

"like a cockroach..."??? Sorry, it's just not amusing.

------Argonaut
'the rank is but the guinea stamp'

USairways16BWI

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:32 am

yes US is in a bad situation right now, not like its the only airline thats ever been through bad times.hopefully US will get out of this mess and be successfull, but unfortunately they will be scarred forever because of the bad talk from alot of people. Sure, its ok to have a favorite airline and be biased toward them, i do, but dont rag on other ppl's favorite just because they are in worse shape.

swatpamike

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:51 am

Hello all.

I like most people on this form don't want to see anyone lose there job.

Now having said that what happened at US Air over Christmas was the last straw. Picture yourself sitting in front of your computer pricing airfares. When you look at a US fare in the back of your mind you will think will it happen again.

Also everyone "yes I said everyone" in this industry knows that there is overcapacity. The only way to get things into a position were most airlines can make money is to reduce capacity. This will eventually happen on its own. The government is just postponing the inevitable. That's my 2cents.

Cheers

swatpamike

Spoke2Spoke

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:51 am

"3 weeks", "6 months", "Absurd to think they'll survive".

Well, ok. But why? I wouldn't say they have the best of chances. But, I honestly don't see why the name "US Airways" will stop flying over me.

The planes are full, there are $8.6 billion in lucrative east-coast assets. If their cash position is improving, as some say it is, they may be looking more enticing for investment or buyout.

Feel free to write "US Airways" off. However, you're post would be much more effective if you provide reasoning for your analysis.

Spokes
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

nucsh

RE: USAirways Livery

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:08 am

For all you guys saying that you give USAirways 3 weeks until they go under, BAH friggin' BAH on you. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Besides, it takes longer than 3 weeks for an airline to go completly defunct and liquidated, even if under USAirways' current situation. And while I am a strong supporter and believer that USAirways will survive... Even if they were to go completly belly-up, they have at least until 2Q in 2005. IF they were to go under, that'd be the time that they would do so.

I WANT USAirways to survive. I know people who would lose their jobs if they did (which is never a fun thing for anyone), and I absolutely LOVE the airline. I've never recieved bad service, nor have I had any lost bags. I'll be flying USAirways until I can't fly them anymore, no matter what fare is cheeper.

Besides, it's one of two airlines that fly into my college town ([ LYH ]) and I'll be damned if I fly ASA to Atlanta -D--> Charlotte when I can just fly straight home on USAirways. Smile

DISCLAIMER: (all above viewpoints are based on nothing but intuition and a friends father's information as a 737 captain for US)

[Edited 2005-01-03 22:14:47]

[Edited 2005-01-03 22:16:40]
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

jetdeltamsy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:02 am

a good weekend, perhaps. but the damage done to the company by the christmas labor fiasco has most likely sealed the participant's fate.

Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

jcavinato

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:14 am

I was Chairman's Preferred for all the possible years (since start of the program) until 2003 (because we moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona). That travel included about eight/ten trans-Atlantic trips each year in Envoy or First class. And, I did a lot of trips to LAX, DEN, IAH, ATL, and more. In a low year I spent about $80,000 on fares with USAirways.

The station people at SCE (State College) were superb and became good friends. I've had many great chats with flight attendants and swapped recipes, family photos and more. In all that travel there was only one flight attendant whom I ever felt should not be in the job. Otherwise, I always thought of USAirways of hiring great people and allowed them to let their personalities shine through on the job.

My thanks and appreciation to all of them.

My take on the management of the company is another thing altogether. Especially negative are my interactions with R. Gangwall, absolutely the worse example of a CEO from the standpoint of customers and employees.