IntheKnow

Bring Back BA World Tails...on Engines!?

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:00 am

Hi All

I really admired BA with the world image tails. I can see the mistake of not having the union flag on the tail so why didn't they transfer the images to the engines rather than scrap them altogether?

Then everyone is happy, flag on tail where it belongs and world image on engines where it is visible to those inside the aircraft as well.

Just a thought. Bring them back. They were a bold idea and made aircraft more interesting to look at.

Could some of you wizard artists have a go at producing an image of this?

Many thanks

ITK

antares

RE: Bring Back BA World Tails...on Engines!?

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:59 am

Oh come on. Even I know that engine changes are a fact of life. The jets would end up flying around with all sorts of different designs under each wing and look even more disorganised that the different tails shambles.

What are you going to do. while they fly overhead. Stick your head under the wing to admire them, or use binoculars?

skidmarks

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:04 am

Actually Antares, you only change the engine, and not the cowling so the design wouldn't get muddled up. However, as a BA employee, I actually think the tails were crap and should be got rid of at the earliest opportunity. We are an airline, not an Art Museum. Yeah sure
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

antares

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:15 am

Thanks Skidmarks.

I suppose that you must very occasionally change cowlings too, when they get run into by hail, gravel or ramp vehicles (no doubt rarely) but presumably much less so than changing the actual engine.

I recall being told that the tails of the world notion was also discovered to be bad for the sense of 'brand' that was BA. There are few stronger brand images than the Union Jack, so in that sense BA is back on track with an identity that says BRITISH! And good on them.

Shamrock_747

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:23 am

Although some of the designs were attractive I agree that they were completely inappropriate to go on the tails of British Airways aircraft. Britain's flag carrier should have some version of the union flag on the tail.

I do like the more subtle use of some of the artwork which can still be seen in various parts of the airline today; such as on name badges, ticket wallets, baggage tags, seat covers etc. Makes a nice change from plain dark blue!

It seems that all traces of the world images will disappear from BA eventually and I doubt they will be brought back in any form. Personally I'd like to see them stay in the situations mentioned above and also added to those dull white winglets on the 747-436 fleet.

EmiratesUK

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:45 am

Please.....Those world tales were awful! o.k so BA was supposedly the worlds favorite airline but to get rid of our British Identity....NO WAY... I agree with some posts that the old scheme was a little dull and out dated (made the 747 look dirty and old) I much prefer the new design.
EK A380 Private suite - Here I come!!

m404

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:51 am

Iregardless if whether you agree with a world look for a world airline one reality much decide any cowling paint.

If an engine developes a fuel/oil/hydro leak inside that cowling many times the first way to spot it is a blemish on a solid painted surface. Complicated designs could possibly hide a needed clue to a mechanical problem.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

IntheKnow

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:09 am

So that'll be a "no" then  Big grin

Argonaut

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:21 am

BA has never had a decent livery, although the current stylised union flag on the fin is reasonably okay---it looked best on Concorde, for which it was originally designed.

The most frightful part of the today's livery is that awful "ribbon" logo. It looks like a piece of toilet paper caught around a car radio aerial. If it's symbolic of anything, it beats me what that might be. So much for a "British image"...

'the rank is but the guinea stamp'

miamix707

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:33 am

Those world tails at least looked interesting. I'm starting to get tired of this new version of the Union Jack on the tail, looks so much less exciting. Getting tired of seen this livery already (and I don't even see it as much as you guys in the UK)

They diminished the blue area as compared to the Landor colors, and that makes their current livery even more boring now that the world tails are gone.

Ready4Pushback

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:44 am

The most frightful part of the today's livery is that awful "ribbon" logo. It looks like a piece of toilet paper caught around a car radio aerial. If it's symbolic of anything, it beats me what that might be.

It's called the "Speed Tick", isn't it? At least that's what my cabin-crew friend says it's called. I like it anyway - beats having just a design on the tail, and the name printed, like most airlines. Personally, I really liked the world tails, but I love the Union Flag tail. The old grey livery was awful.

antares

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:50 am

Actually going back in some way to the 'retro' Speedbird symbol of BOAC times might work. And I'm not referring to the service standards of the old BOAC, be assured from vivid personal recollection, that won't work!

Shamrock_747

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:10 am

It's called the "Speed Tick", isn't it? At least that's what my cabin-crew friend says it's called.

I believe the official name is Speedmarque. I think it looks stylish and has now become part of a strong brand, though what it represents is not entirely clear to most people. It is an adaptation of the red dash Speedwing logo from the Landor livery, which itself is an adaptation of of the BOAC Speedbird logo.

9V-SPJ

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:12 am

Isn't the wavy thing called a "Speed-marque"?

9V-SPJ

scotron11

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:34 am

I thought the world tail logos were cool. Maybe a little "ahead" of their time, for some folk.

babybus

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:45 am

I wouldn't have minded if they had kept the world tails to British themes based on designs representing England,Scotland, Wales and Ulster but to have Poland and Saudi Arabia and other themes on British aircraft was pushing the patience of the British public and no doubt confused a lot of travellers.

The new livery should have been an adaptation of the landor livery not the freak show we were given.

Just my crazy thoughts. Smile/happy/getting dizzy
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Starlionblue

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:50 am

Isn't the wavy thing called a "Speed-marque"?

Close. It's called a "Speedmarque"  Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:22 am

Just my crazy thoughts

Actually they are good thoughts, i was thinking the same. Instead of the world tails, BA could have painted their aircrafts tails in the colours of all the four home nations flags. English St Georges Cross, Scottish saltire, Welsh dragon and the Northern Ireland emblem, that would have pleased the entire UK public. That would have been a far more 'British' thing to do than painting the tails with ugly graffiti.

In Arsene we trust!!

Leezyjet

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:16 am

Personally, I think they should have stuck with the "interim" colour scheme - the combination of the Landor scheme but in the current colours with the speedmarque.

just my £0.02

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

BWIA 772

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:38 pm

Ok I understand that the World tails were kind of bad for branding but they could have kept Chelsea Rose it is english and it look damn good. I find that I like the landor livery over this one although this one isnt bad.
Eagles Soar!

AlanUK

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:31 pm

ITK,

I read your post and thought "yeah right, that would look just plain ugly"... Then I had some spare time and did the following work in Photoshop/CorelDraw (all MY artwork please no one copy!!!). And I thought... Mmm, maybe it isn't such a bad idea after all. But I doubt very much BA would ever bring these images back in any shape or forms...

enjoy anyway:

Zander

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:46 pm

BA could have moved the world tail motives to the rear fuselage instead,
there is just white anyways.
It doesn't had to be like a square paintings, more like graffiti or something like that (like the Andalucia stickers of Air Europa).
That would be a better solution in my opinion.

Spike

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:58 pm

AlanUK: superb job. They should do it. What a lovely sight that would be set against the white of Siberia or Canada.

BA380

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:42 pm

AlanUK

what a trouper. Great effort.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

gkirk

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:59 pm

The world tails were attrocious
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Gofly

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:06 pm

AlanUK, great effort. However they do look absolutely hideous!
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

IntheKnow

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:20 pm

AlanUK

Now thats what I'm talking about, looks great!

ITK

prat_eegle

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:26 pm

I think this is a great and brilliant idea, because I adored and admired the concept of the world tails and the universality of air travel, of cultures, and of the human race.
Clouds in both Worlds

planesarecool

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:34 pm

I didn't wanna start a new topic, but does anybody know if the British Airways busses will be repainted, as when i go past say T4 or T1 at Heathrow sometimes, there are loads that still have the world tail colours on the back. In fact they actually suit the busses more than the aircraft. It'll be nice to atleast have some remenents (sp) of the World Tails  Big grin.

-Stephen

prat_eegle

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:00 pm

Maybe as soon as BA withdraws (if it does) any reference to the world tails, Richard Branson may decide to adapt the idea.
 Smile
 Smile
Clouds in both Worlds

AlanUK

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys... Took me a good 3 hours to do it!  Smile

Planesarecool: I believe the buses will be repainted to a plain white top, as the new ones that are arriving (some from factory, some form LGW) are all white. But there is obviously no rush at BA as most buses still have the World "tails" on them.

VSCaptain

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:23 pm

I think that's a great idea!! I would love to see that happen. Its better than BAs blue engines. There disgusting.
AP321 - Oxford Aviation Academy

AlanUK

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:40 pm

What's disgusting about navy blue engine I don't know?

What I do know is that VS are not quite desperate enough to recruit 13-15 year old Captains!!!  Innocent

IntheKnow

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:56 pm

VSCaptain,

Welcome to A.net. Where free speech is not always appreciated it would seem!  Smile

AlanUK,

Shame on you, bless him  Big grin

Cheers

ITK

RedDragon

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:19 am

I agree with Babybus, Arsenal@LHR et al further up the page in wishing BA had used four designs representing the four UK regions, rather than all the tail designs they did use. Chelsea Rose was about the only scheme I really liked and was sorry to see go (and kudos to them for their Remembrance Day scheme, if I'm not imagining things).

I was a bit peeved though that BA never brought out a Welsh scheme - hmph!

Rich

AlanUK

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:20 am

No offence was meant. I just can't see how someone can say a blue engine is disgusting when BA, UA and so many other carrier use it!

VSCaptain, Welcome to Airliners.net!

sevenair

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:25 am

British airways should ONLY display anything British, it is a British airline, and it should display, if anything other than the current c/s,things associated with this fine Nation.

Bruspotter

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:15 am

AlanUK; I am very surprised that nobody has complained that you put too many engines on that plane!
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

Feroze

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:24 am

I thought that the A380 had four engines...

Shamrock_747

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:48 am

Great artwork there Alan. Interesting to see how the Utopia designs look on engine cowlings. Just a shame you painted the underside a disgusting dark blue.  Big grin

jonty

Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:14 am

I love the new BA livery, its modern and way better than the dreary old landor livery! But I reckon that the world tails were one of those moves towards political correctness overdrive where nothing should display any hint of britishness or British culture in case anyone from any other country is 'offended' by it, as is happening in the UK with regard to nativity plays etc, but the public wouldn't have it and reacted badly to it (as people did with the nativity play thing) so it was changed to be more British again, how it should be, since it is called British Airways! Anyway I'm glad those world tails are gone!

Argonaut

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:55 am

"British airways should ONLY display anything British, it is a British airline, and it should display, if anything other than the current c/s,things associated with this fine Nation."
________

Good grief!! Why on earth "should" it? It's a shareholder-owned company, not the crown bleedin' jewels! Virgin, easyJet and plenty other airlines are just as "British"---and by your argument they too should "display....things associated with this fine Nation."

So why don't you sound off about easyJet's everso frightfully unpatriotic orange?

As for "this fine Nation", Big grin ,well, one usually finds that the people who come out with that sort of jingoistic cant are...well, yes, sort of British,...but actually, um...English.

'the rank is but the guinea stamp'

srbrenna

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:40 am

What's with all this "we must have the Union Flag on the tail of BA's planes"? Of the 3 liveries that BA have had since the 70s, only the Utopia design dared to be different. Personally I rather liked them. I added to the experience of getting on to the plane - seeing what design was on the tail.

Its predecessor, BOAC, always displayed the Speedbird more prominently than a Union Jack.

miamix707

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:59 am

The only bad thing about the Landor livery was that awful gray I guess so it could blend in with the cloudy skies.. I don't know.

IMO the SppeedMarque is the best feature of the current livery, the tail design is good but it does barely any good on a plane plane that is now too white. I agree they should've just updated the Landor scheme.

cedarjet

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:47 am

AlanUK: awesome job, I am standing on my chair applauding. You say that UA, BA etc can't be wrong about having blue engines. Dude, you obviously haven't seen Austrian's latest effort. Holy jesus.

To the rest: The World Colours theme was originally invented by Landor for British Caledonian, and each tail was going to be a different tartan. How cool would that have looked? There is a picture that was mocked up of a row of DC10s at Gatwick with the tartan tails, I presume it's on www.british-caledonian.com but the guy who runs the site has lost his Dad, Ron Thaxter, who was a BCal vet, and the site seems to be temporarily down.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz