jakbar

How Is Trans-Pacific Business Class On Asiana?

Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:54 am

I'd appreciate hearing details from anyone who has flown trans-Pacific Business Class on Asiana on both the 747 and the 777. How was the seat? The food? The service? In-flight entertainment?

Carfield

RE: How Is Trans-Pacific Business Class On Asiana?

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:43 pm

I flew both Boeing 747s and 777s in J.

Seats at the 747s are definitely in the "ancient" side -- legroom is around 48" with a legrest and a small personal TV (no AVOD, just repeated programs). Boeing 777s have a much better seat with 52" of legroom and more lumbar support. I will fly the SFO or SEA routes...

Food is really nice on OZ... you can expect a full five course main meal with canape, appetizer and salad, main course, cheese and fruit plate, and then dessert and tea/coffee. The Korean bi-bim-bap is nice as well... but only for the ones with more Asian taste in food.

Entertainment is only average -- classic PTV at most.

Service is good -- Asiana F/As are pretty and friendly... they are not as warm as CX or SQ, but they are still fine. If you need anything, just press the call button. I find them not making many beverage rounds in between, but call buttons will be responed with smiles.

Amenities -- no amenity kit, but slippers and eyemasks. Amenities such as toothbrushes, shaving kits, mouthwash... are available in the bathroom. Sort of like SQ...

If the price is right, it is not a bad option.

I rate it above EVA business class, but not as good as CI or MH business class.

Carfield

KL808

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:51 pm

Lufthansa747 has some good posts about flights on OZ. However, they are not transpacific. Mainly flights from INC to BKK and MNL.

Check out his trip reports here:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/48245/

scrool through them and you'll find it.

these are great reports BTW.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

TonyBurr

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:02 pm

I recently flew JFK-ANC-ICN on OZ in J on a 747 (December) You could not ask for more attentive service. They are wonderful. The food was very good. The price was better then anyone else.

But you pay for what you get. The seats were horrible. When I extended the leg rest and put my feet on the leg rest, my knees were up almost to my face. The length of the leg rest extension was non existent. Very little recline in the seat. The monitors were very small and poor quality. The selection of entertainment was poor. You could not chose what movies you wanted to see. They just played in a loop. If you were watching on one channel and it finished you could not go to another movie for its beginning, but drop in wherever it happened to be.

Their lounge in ICN was beautiful and staffed with wonderful people.

If the price were the same on another airline I would definitely take the other. If the price is lower and I need to save on the fare, well OZ J is better then economy on the others.

If they greatly improved their product they would be wonderful. Until that happens, it is not J as you would expect.