ord

It's Official: Delta's New Livery To Debut Today

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:01 am

Delta is officially showing its new livery today on a 777 in Atlanta. Whether or not the final version is the picture we've seen here at airliners.net remains to be seen. I hope they did something about that white fuselage and added some color! I guess we'll all know in the next few days. One other note: the widget logo has been revised and now sports curves instead of points.

I've noticed some inquiries about Delta in the past few days and I'll share what I know. The widget logo is, indeed, supposed to represent a rocket, with the blue being the rocket and the red representing the blast. Only the early DC-9s had the logo on its side. This was because Delta management thought the DC-9's tail wasn't tall enough to put the logo rightside up. But, after a few years, they did put it rightside up for consistency purposes.

As for new livery research, I do know what United did with their current scheme. They had developed many potential designs, and the finalists were tested among frequent fliers, business flyers and leisure flyers on a number of attributes vs. about 20 other airlines' liveries at the time. The gray and blue scored higher on every attribute than the old United livery and higher than the other airlines (attributes included things like "is a modern airline," "is a global airline," "is a safe airline," etc.). I know that Stephen Wolf selected the final design, by himself, in a Washington, D.C. hotel. I have seen some of the other blue/gray designs that were finalists, and some of them were more wild than the one selected.

flyCMH

RE: It's Official: Delta's New Livery To Debut Today

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:12 am

Wow, so Delta has gone through another livery change. I don't really know what to say about it, though I don't like the large "Delta" lettering on the forward fuselage. I hope they applied more paint to the aircraft, as it didn't seem done in the photos I have seen. Though I do like the more detailed tail, with the shadow applied to the colors. It will be interesting to see 3 different paint schemes for one airline...

aa737

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:26 am

It will be interesting to see 3 different paint schemes for one airline...

Look at BA, they have three. But they also have some other issues to work out.

Boeing757/767

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:30 am

Looks like the photo we've seen here is the official version. This is from Delta's site:

http://www.delta-air.com/inside/newlook/hires/index.jsp
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

teahan

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:30 am

I am going to be sick !! What airports does Delta not fly to ??

Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

ord

Article Announcing The Change

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:40 am

From the Atlanta Journal and Constitution:

"For the second time in three years, Delta Air Lines is rolling out a new paint scheme for its planes. The Atlanta-based airline is switching to a design featuring swaths of red and blue draped across the tail fin, with the word Delta removed from the tail entirely. Other changes include a nearly all-white fuselage, minus the thick stripes of past designs. The Delta logo on the side is enlarged, and the company's triangular "widget" shield is modified to give it a softer appearance.

"The goal was a sophisticated and fluid look, with no hard edges," said marketing chief Fred Reid. "We think it's arresting without being over the top."

Delta in 1997 unveiled an updated livery that was the first change for the carrier in three decades. But it was also one of the last acts of the carrier's old management team, which was soon replaced by a crop of outside executive with their own image ideas. Just under half the carrier's planes have been repainted in the '97 scheme, with the rest still sporting the old '60s design. Now Delta will begin repainting planes in the latest livery, a project that will take until around the end of 2003. In the meantime Delta will have all three liveries in its fleet. Delta's oldest jets -- whose increasingly weathered appearance has provoked grumbling among employyes -- will be retired before they are ever repainted.

Reid said the new scheme is part of a broader "re-branding" of Delta that includes a new ad campaign, which debuted this month, and new employee uniforms appearing early next year. He said executives felt the '97 livery would never be identified with positive changes at Delta under the new management group. "Instead of continuing with something that doesn't really reflect what Delta's become, we elected to go with something fresh, contemporary and sophisticated," he said. The new livery was conceived for Delta by Landor Associates, a San Francisco firm that also did the 1997 design.

bizjet

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:54 am

Yep, I see the new scheme from my hotel room. Unfortunately, it is too far for my camera to see it. I can only see it with my binoculars. And, may I say, I hate it. BizJet

jrlander

Thu Mar 23, 2000 5:04 am

The new livery is part of a global re-branding of the company. Delta has long had a very conservative image. The current livery was a reflection of this. Now everything will change. Delta employees are getting new uniforms. Ticket agents, gate agents, and flight crews will start wearing grey suits with royal blue shirts. They will have the option of wearing ties or not wearing ties depending on the situation. All tickets stands will be re-done to say DELTA, instead of Delta Air Lines.

I actually link the new livery. The tail is quite appealing to me. The DELTA is growing on me as the week goes on.

DeltaAir

Thu Mar 23, 2000 6:51 am

Personally, I don't like it, but it will grow on me. I think Delta is now setting the stage for other airlines. As we have entered the 21st century airlines are tired of being for the rich and important, now they are for everyone. Don't be surprised if this paint scheme is now once again modified.

DeltaAir

Interiors Are Changing

Thu Mar 23, 2000 6:59 am

Delta & Air France are now coordinating interiors and along with a new paint scheme, there will now be a new International First Class and BizElite on all international planes. The L-1011s have all been purchased and will be out of here ASAP assuming Delta can get more aircraft from Boeing.

AF777

RE: Interiors Are Changing

Thu Mar 23, 2000 7:55 am

Where can I find out more info on the new interiors?

MCOtoATL

I Kinda Like It

Thu Mar 23, 2000 8:37 am

I am not quite sure how I feel about it, but I do applaud Delta for doing something so radical, which is far from the norm of Delta's rather conservative history. I like the message it sends out.

As for those who don't like it (and I may be one of you,) it's not like our favorite automaker re-designed our favorite car and we hate it, and thus won't buy it. I doubt that anyone will refuse to fly Delta because of a livery.

To some extent, Delta has accomplished something - we are all talking about it, aren't we?

MCOtoATL

Vote On His Website

Thu Mar 23, 2000 8:43 am

The following is from the Atlanta Journal-Consitution online. In Atlanta, the new paint scheme is obviously a big deal. Check out the web site and you can vote for the livery you like the most: the old, the current, or the new.

As of this posting, the old sceme was by far the favorite of those who have voted.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/bizatlanta/delta/colors.html

freddy

Thu Mar 23, 2000 10:49 am

I noticed some new photos have been added:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Barry Crawford

Click for large version

Photo © Barry Crawford

Click for large version

Photo © Barry Crawford

Click for large version

Photo © Barry Crawford

Click for large version

Photo © Barry Crawford

Click for large version

Photo © Barry Crawford

/Freddy

DeltaAir

Thu Mar 23, 2000 11:02 am

The more I look at it the more I am starting to like it. Delta had guts, or no brains, i'm not sure which yet.

The Official Delta Press Release

Thu Mar 23, 2000 11:26 am

Check out the story behind all of the changes from the
Delta News Site. The url is:
http://www.delta-air.com/home/press/index.jsp

Tom in NO

RE: My Gosh, Is That Thing Real?!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 12:03 pm

I don't know where to begin:

1) if that is in fact the new DL livery, it is some kind of ugly!!! I don't know why they ditched a perfectly good livery a couple of years ago, replaced with one that was bad to begin with, and replaced that one with this.

2) this continues a disturbing trend that began with United: a perfectly good paint job that they felt needed modernizing, and look at how tacky their planes are.

3) I won't even go into USAirways' paint job.

4) the only airline whose latest livery is an improvement would have to be Continental.

5) long live American's silver birds!!!

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

LH423

Thu Mar 23, 2000 12:10 pm

So crucify me, I LIKE IT.

There I said it, I LIKE THE NEW DELTA SCHEME.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

N754PR

Its The Worst Scheme Ever!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 12:12 pm

God, I cant understand what they have done !!

It sucks.

Daryl
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

ASA_737

RE: Its The Worst Scheme Ever!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 12:24 pm

I really like it. Its about time Delta got rid of their consevative edge. This is a classic paint scheme and will be around for a long while. Its Great!

Not Bad, Not Bad After All!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 12:44 pm

Actually, the new paint scheme is starting to grow on me - I actually do like the large "Delta" title and the newly modified widget logo! The Boeing 777 does look bright and shiny under the Atlanta sun! Not at all like it was under cloudy Seattle skies! (The original pics in WA were actually taken at a hangar in Everett.)

AAmericanguy

Thats The New Livery!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 1:29 pm

Ok People, I was just watching the news and Delta has announced that that is their new livery. Those photos we've been seeing,thats the FINAL product. In a way I like it but in another way I hate it. I guess its the body being all white with DELTA on the side. Its just waaaayyy to big. Well,that just my thoughts, all you in ATL be prepared!

Concorde SST

Thu Mar 23, 2000 1:36 pm

I’m going to reserve my judgment until I see more pictures with the plane in action, and at a better angle. Although these newest pics are much better than the first ones, and are better than the ONE that Delta put on their web page.

I have to admit that I like the scheme better (newer photos - Barry Crawford's) than when I saw it the first time. Thanks Freddy for bringing them to our attention.

It will be interesting to see these test colors on the 757 they plan too!

Thanks Berry, nice pictures!

aaron atp

Wwbbd -What Would Brian Boitano Do?

Thu Mar 23, 2000 1:44 pm

He'd be on delta's new "soaring spirit" 777, then on this monstrosity...

what is this world coming to?

aaron

Kohflot

Thu Mar 23, 2000 2:11 pm

My own two cents..

I think this new DL scheme is brilliant. It's as if a giant flag was draped across the tail. Imagine seeing a row of 10.. The bare metal gives the plane a sleek look without looking too much like AA's. The fuselage would have been a disaster without the white/metal contrast. The title change to plain Delta is just like Federal Express changing their titling to FedEx, which is simply acknowledging their stature as a household brand. My only complaint is that I wish they would have painted the entire engine blue, rather than switching to grey at the reverser split.
Ask why..

Jacobcal

Give It A Chance!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 2:38 pm

I must say that I really like the new livery! Its a little plain, but less is more. The tail looks great and I really like the large Delta logo on the side. The first time I saw the new look I thougt it would have looked better if they would have done a Continental in reverse! Keep the top white, a small red strip below the doors and paint bottom blue but leave the tail the same. I thought that would have looked good, but that would not have been too origional and this one is. This one has grown on me and it looks great!

~JacobCAL

UAL-Fan

Thu Mar 23, 2000 2:44 pm

I LOVE IT! One way or another this really makes them stand out in a crowd. I think its modern, bright and progressive. So many other Carriers paint schemes are so BORING and drab.

Delta is number 2 on my favorite scale but is inching up with each flight I take with them. I even stopped putting my DL Miles toward my UAL Account!

Good job Delta!!!

RE: Its The Worst Scheme Ever!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 3:12 pm

I think that the new look is the best of any US carrier. I say this as an Aussie stand out looking in. I do not have any preference in terms of US carriers, so my opininion is unbiased.

The tail looks great, like an unfurled flag. The only real thing I see wrong with the livery at all is the name and the logo. Why do to the expense of changing your look and keeping the same, boring triangle logo. The 'Delta' at the front of the aircraft really does not suit the new look.

The one question I do have regarding the new colours is....how long will this one last before they introduce a new scheme again.

UA744Flagship

Yeeeessshhh! The Tail!

Thu Mar 23, 2000 3:25 pm

I like the artsy-fartsy of the tail; however, I do think it looks a bit unprofessional with somewhat randomly drawn lines (not very recognizable or brandable) separating the red from the blue and light blue, and also the random drabbing of the light blue onto the fueselage. I actually like the large Delta title and he new widget though.

Suggestions for improvement:
- Put a widget on the tail, emblazoned on that artsy-fartsy draped flag.
- Put a curvy cheatline between the bare betal and white... dispell that dullness of white!
no wire hangers!

VirginA340

Right Track Bit Needs Work

Thu Mar 23, 2000 3:55 pm

I like the new paint scheme especially on the tail. Delta; your on the right track but please get rid of the bare white and silver. We already have way too many airlines flying bare white or metal schemes as it is thee skys and passenger including aviation enthusists are getting board. Come up with somethin different like what the post above has stated.
"FUIMUS"

Bruce

For The Entire Fleet?

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:00 pm

What is the timetable for implementing this new color on all the Delta fleet? They ARE going to use it on all their planes, right? From the 777 down to the CRJs? And does that mean that some Delta jets will go from the "old" livery to the "2000 version" completely skipping the "current" one!!!

Also, what route does ship 7004 fly? International or domestic?
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

unitedchicago

ORD:

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:24 pm

ORD:

Please email me at chiwrigley@aol.com. I'd love to discuss UA's color scheme and the different option presented Wolf. I had heard one included a bold orange stripe?

A Note To Delta

Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:39 pm

Your planes were already disgusting looking enough when they looked like they hadnt been washed since Ford was president. Grease and dirt near the back wings and engines.

Now you go all white????????????

One winter on the east coast will muck those babies up with some nice polluted air.

A very stupid decision.

The777Man

Thu Mar 23, 2000 6:24 pm

The tail is terrible and the rest lacks paint. I don't like the new titles (I like "Delta Air Lines" better) but the reworked widget is okay. Delta's scheme used to be one of my 12 favourite schemes; the new scheme drops them of that list. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

ord

Thu Mar 23, 2000 11:57 pm

I don't mind it for the most part, and I sort of like the tail. However, the scheme seems incomplete because...

1. The bare metal was simply carried over from the last paint job. If you're going to re-do the thing, don't do half a job. My opinion is the metal should be removed altogether as it takes away from the clean, all-white fusealge (even if that is boring).

2. By painting only half of the engines, they look out of place, like they simply ran out of paint (just like SAS).

CV880

They're Loosening Up, Great!

Fri Mar 24, 2000 12:26 am

I like the overall impression made by the new design. This February I rode DL for the first time in three years and I was impressed. Everyone was upbeat and the meals were outstanding. Granted, I was 'up front' in F, but the quality of the inflight amenities -- choice of wines and entrees -- was a vast improvement over the crap they were serving up 3-4 years ago. Yes, the new color scheme could use some pizzaz on the fuselage, but the tail design reflects some warmth and informality which is consistent with the type of service I received on my MIA-ATL-SLC-SJC itinerary this winter.

BH346

I Don't Like It

Fri Mar 24, 2000 12:54 am

I loved the current Delta scheme, it was my third favorite. Now the new DL scheme is my second least favorite. The tail looks awkward, the widget should be left alone, and the "Delta" titles don't look very good. I loved the old scheme a lot, why did they change it??  
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

I Don't Like It

Fri Mar 24, 2000 1:52 am

What BH346 said. This shows lack of imagination the current colors are a lot better. The reworked logo is nice though as well as the title, the rest...not at all.

Click for large version

Photo © Dennis Lau

Click for large version

Photo © Barry Crawford

USAirways737

Y U C K!

Fri Mar 24, 2000 1:55 am

It is horrible! They should keep the old scheme.

na

A Few Words From A Designer

Fri Mar 24, 2000 2:33 am

Reading Delta´s announcement, I was shocked to realise, that the world´s most renowned Design Agency, Landor Associates, created this piece of crap.
I´m working for a partner company of Landor (currently also on an airline job, the reworking of the worldwide Lufthansa advertising campaign) but I have to repeat what I wrote yesterday:
This new Delta livery looks like the work of an undertalented graphic arts student!
Lets hope that tasteless executives chose this "solution" after the agency got already tired.

Delta writes, different schemes went through a lot of tests (client interviews). All right. I know from long years of experience, where these tests lead to, if you (the client, here Delta) has now design knowledge.
And you can "admire" the result now. Lets hope, this try has an even shorter life than Deltas current 3 year old livery.

By the way, Landor normally creates nice designs:
Thai, Cathay Pacific, British Airways classic blue and grey "Crest" livery to name just three...

PresRDC

Fri Mar 24, 2000 3:33 am

Overall, I like it, but the engines have to be painted all the way. It does look incomplete and I don't understand how anyone can say it looks good. Does anyone know why an airline would only paint half the engine? With fully painted engines it should be a nice scheme.

boeingrulz

RE: Yeeeessshhh! The Tail!

Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:55 am

The tail isn't the worst of it, the body is dull, the identity is muddled, it has no clear graphic style, it is just plain bad. I am a graphic designer and a fan of the other work that Landor has done, this is just plain not up to their standards. It makes me wonder if the customer had a hand in driving this unfortunate tragedy.

Carolyn

LHMark

RE: It's Official: Delta's New Livery To Debut Tod

Fri Mar 24, 2000 5:35 am

The new scheme is just typical- not incredibly offensive, but not incredibly imaginative either. It is milquetoast, mediocre, blah. No one outside this forum will even notice that the livery has changed. It's corporate-safe.

I fail to see how anyone can say that, with the new scheme, Delta is somehow shedding its "conservative" image. This is as conservative as Rush Limbaugh. And maybe it SHOULD be so. What megacarrier would want to present any image other than Rock-solid stability? That is why liveries stay on planes for many years (well, that and the cost of repainting an elephantine fleet).
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Bicoastal

Fri Mar 24, 2000 5:49 am

......yet another reason to fly the friendly skies of United!
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

unitedairlines

Shut Up Already

Fri Mar 24, 2000 6:01 am

All you people that don't like the new color scheme are either grumpy old men that complain when their routine is messed up, or can't deal with change. We are living in the future and everything is progressing and you should get used to it and stop complaining. If you don't like it, don't sit there and say Delta is dumb for doing it. Keep your rude comments to yourself. If you don't like it, do not bash them out, just say that it is an interesting new paint scheme. Why does every post have to have "I'm better than you are" sugesstions? Go with the flow of change, because you will probably see a lot more of it. If your neighbor painted your house a different color that you didn't like, would you go to all your other neighbors and backstab him and his house just because it is different? Let me know what you think of my thoughts.

Deltaman

!delta!

Fri Mar 24, 2000 6:03 am

Delta is THE best airline their is!!! Their 1st paint scheme was the best! The 2nd was no-where close. The 3rd(new) Is okay. The new paint scheme needs more color on the fuselage. But other than that, it cool! But you see... it doesn't matter what their paint scheme looks like because Delta is the best airline! Who agrees?

Etops767

Fri Mar 24, 2000 6:17 am

I like the new livery,its fresh and bold and it looks like there are alot of people who do also. There is an online poll(www.ajc.com) of the 5700 responses so far 17% like the current livery,34% like the new livery,and 50%
like the old livery.So draw your own conclusions,but the numbers show the new livery is preffered 2 to 1.It also shows that they should'nt have changed in the first place.But I think change is good and the old livery was too dated.

boeingrulz

RE: Shut Up Already

Fri Mar 24, 2000 6:20 am

Wrong! I'm neither a grumpy old man, nor am I afraid of change. I love many new liveries including the Canadian Proud Wings, BA world tails to name a couple, but this one is bad, not because it is new, because it is bad.

Carolyn

unitedairlines

Carolyn

Fri Mar 24, 2000 6:25 am

Did you read anything that I just posted? "not because it is new, because it is bad" Keep your crappy comments in your own thick head.

Sorry But This Post Asked For Our Opinion

Fri Mar 24, 2000 6:35 am

we have a right to post whatever our opinions are and if you would take a look you PMS victim you would see that the post about the new Delta IS LOOKING FOR OUR OPINION AND ASKED FOR IT.

Unlike stupid Delta who did an awful inside job with this one. Just goes to show they really arent serious about their new line about listening to their customers cause I am sure if they did they would have heard mostly negative about that paint job.

The new livery sucks, period.

And EVERYONE answering this post has a RIGHT to express that.