Orion737
Topic Author

Impact Of Jet2 On MAN-LGW

Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:34 pm

I fly MAN-LGW with British Airways and their flights can be expensive, so I am waiting to see if Jet2s operation on the route will lead to BA prices falling. I hope so, because I would always prefer to take BA but would like fares to be a bit cheaper.

A340600

RE: Impact Of Jet2 On MAN-LGW

Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:09 pm

Hello,

I'm travelling to MAN from here, LGW with BA soon hopefully. I don't really think that BA will lower their prices much if at all on the route. It is currently £65 cheapest compared with Jet2s cheapest of £30, but BA have always operated for profit over just filling seats,

Sam Big thumbs up
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Capital146

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:20 pm

I am waiting to see if Jet2s operation on the route will lead to BA prices falling. I hope so, because I would always prefer to take BA but would like fares to be a bit cheaper.

Why would you always choose BA? On a flight which lasts little over 30 minutes I'd not want to pay more than double than I needed to. Having flown Jet2 on several occasions they offer a very good product. If price is important to you then you should at least give them a go, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I don't really think that BA will lower their prices much if at all on the route. It is currently £65 cheapest compared with Jet2s cheapest of £30, but BA have always operated for profit over just filling seats,

Jet2 aren't a charity, they operate for profit too! The fare of £30 return is widely available at the moment, probably to generate interest on the route. Once it has become established they may offer fewer seats at this fare but I'm sure will always try to undercut BA's prices, except perhaps for late bookings.

[Edited 2005-01-09 14:22:35]
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Crosswind

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:11 am

Once it has become established they may offer fewer seats at this fare but I'm sure will always try to undercut BA's prices, except perhaps for late bookings.

Previous experience suggests that while a low-cost airline's fare may start at a lower level than the established carrier, there will be a considerable overlap in fares between them and traditional airline.

Even booking some time in advance, BA are often cheaper than low cost airlines, depending on their relative booking profiles - don't forget many of BA's passengers will be travelling on business/flexible/interline tickets, so even though a flight may be fairly full, the lower economy fares may still be available. One the other hand for a similarly busy flight Jet2 may be asking for £59 one-way plus tax.

Regards
CROSSWIND

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:25 am

And no breakfast and tea!

Capital146

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:09 am

Each to their own of course. Would be a dull old world (and A.Net forum) if everyone thought the same! If prices were similar I'd opt for BA too, but I wouldn't pay an extra £35 for the privilage of breakfast and tea on the flight. I think I could just about manage a 30 minute flight without food.  Smile
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

BHMNONREV

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:30 am

Capital146, has there been any talk in the Leeds area on Jet2 starting an LBA-LGW service, something timed to connect with some of the Trans-Atlantic traffic from Gatwick??

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos