jacobin777

AA Vs. UA Yields On Competitive Flights?

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:15 am

I've been comparing flights of AA vs UA on a few competitive flights...particularily flights such as ORD-NRT, SFO/SJC-NRT, etc....I've been noticing that AA's yields (ie. empty seats) are much worse than UA's......

Does anyone here think that is true?

Also, how does one go about finding yields on various air carriers, or is that not possible?

"Up the Irons!"

tekelberry

RE: AA Vs. UA Yields On Competitive Flights?

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:11 am

Also, how does one go about finding yields on various air carriers, or is that not possible?

That's proprietary information that is not released to the public.

UALFAson

Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:40 am

Ah, the good old "yield" versus "load factor" confusion. I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped down your throat yet pointing out the difference, given the short fuses of some here.

Generally speaking, yield is either total revenue or total profit, depending on the context in which you're using it. It has little to do with load factor.

For example, let's say AA offered $5 seats from ORD-NRT. Their load factor would probably be 100% since people would take that offer in a minute. But their yield would be sh*t because they're making almost no revenue/money.

Anyway, symantics aside, to get back to your question: as Tekelberry said, yield and profitability information is a closely guarded secret that is not made available to the public, stockholders, analysts, or even employees who don't need to know.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Boeing7E7

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:24 am

All network airline fares are roughly the same, the lowest fare just depends on who has the most cheap seats left.