NumberTwelve
Topic Author

Backrest Adjustment In Planes?

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:45 pm

Just wondering who adjusts backrest on night flights.
Of course, the seats are designed to be adjusted in sleeping position.
But I always fear I would disturb other passengers, so I usually don't do it or ask the person sitting behind of me if it's ok.

Who of you also hesitates to adjust the backrest?
My (probably) next flight will be FRA-SIN (12 hrs) overnight plus additional 7 hours from SIN to BNE - in Economy.
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

geoffm

RE: Backrest Adjustment In Planes?

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:59 am

If they're asleep - no problem. If they're eating - I raise my seat. Anything inbetween and they get asked (assuming they're not pissing me off by kicking the seat, pulling on it to stand up, etc, in which case seat goes in my preferred position at a speed of my choosing, which may or may not jar their knee or whatever happens to be protruding...).

Geoff M.

baw716

RE: Backrest Adjustment In Planes?

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:12 am

I'm with Geoffm. I try to be sensitive to both the person in front of me and the person behind me. If they start to piss me off, then all bets are off. If they really start to piss me off, I just have a nice little chat with the flight attendant and the problem is usually solved right away (when you get on and off with a wheelchair, you get a couple minor little perks). As to the person beside me, since I have (uh, em) put on more lbs than I care to admit due to my back injuries, I have started buying two seats, or upgrading. That eliminates me mashing someone into the wall or putting an elbow somewhere it shouldn't go. But...that is a whole other thread....
baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998