Cory6188
Topic Author

DL's New Slogan "Good Goes Around"

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:42 pm

I went on to DL's website earlier today, and I noticed their new slogan "good goes around" - what exactly is that supposed to mean? Nothing against DL here, but that doesn't make any sense to me, and it has nothing to do with being an airline. If good goes around, does that mean bad eventually comes around as well? I mean, if the good can only be in one place at a time while it's going around, there has to be something to balance it out, so that means that bad might go around as well. Also, why can't it be "great goes around"? Is DL only good, not great? But I digress - that was my stream of consciousness thought process when I saw their new slogan. What do you think? I'd love to know how much the marketing genius that came up with this simple statement was paid.

StevenUhl777

RE: DL's New Slogan "Good Goes Around"

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:44 pm

Ranks right up there with other stupid airline slogans, like "It's Time to Fly"

...and this coming from a UAL fan.  Big grin
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

Falcon84

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:45 pm

Who thinks up garbage like that and UA's old "Rising" campaign? Unbelievable!
Work Right, Fly Hard

Cory6188
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:50 pm

I think that "Rising" is the most pointless - I'd better hope that your airplane is rising, as I'd hate to be on one that's falling.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:54 pm

I assume it's "What goes around comes around" sort of thing. If you treat the passengers well, they will treat you, the company, well by returning and referring their business to you.

Cory6188
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:59 pm

I guess that's a logical response - I hadn't really considered it that way. Even so, it doesn't relate to flying in any manner. For example, I like AA's "Something Special in the Air", CO's "Work Hard, Fly Right", or UA's old "Fly the friendly skies of United."

[Edited 2005-01-12 05:01:39]

WeAreUnited

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:59 pm

I think AA's new "We know why you fly" ranks right up there with UA's "Rising" campaign.

I wish United would bring back the "Friendly Skies" slogan. It fits well with their song, "Rhapsody in Blue" in my opinion.

Lono

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 pm

Sky High Airlines... "Our Heads are in the clouds" is better...
I thought Grinstein said something about how the DL marketing department was horrible and was going to be changing for the better..???
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

wjcandee

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:58 pm

My recollection is that there was some speculation that Delta raced the fares and fare advertising out because the story was going to break and/or the competition was going to try to upstage them. My guess is that their agency has a whole *image* advertising campaign built around the slogan that hasn't been launched yet. I.e. the details of the Simplifares beat the image portion of the campaign. That's at least a fair guess. Perhaps the stupid slogan will seem much less stupid after we see the campaign based upon the slogan. (Like, say, Delta's simplifares allow some small businessman to fly somewhere to close some deal which saves his company which saves people's jobs which lets someone have insurance on which they get a lifesaving operation at the Mayo Clinic, and they fly there on Delta. See? Good goes around. By lowering fares, it's good for you and good for us. Or some ridiculous tripe like that.)

Best,

Bill

Zone1

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:12 pm

Just as long as Grenstien doesn't have any plans on changing Wavy Gravy to the sky and clouds picture on their front page, I'm fine with it. I like your idea for a commercial, Wjcandee. I've also noticed ads for Simplifares over the Internet. Specifically it was Yahoo's main ad all today. Hopefully this new thing is getting them some new or winning back some old customers. People might finally realize that LCCs are not always the cheapest. It might even get some people to fly Song by just going to Delta's website and searching for flights to leisure destinations.
/// U N I T E D

malaysia

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:17 pm

We are up to something good!

LONG LIVE TRANS WORLD!!!
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

VictorTango

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:55 pm

What about Air Sahara's - "Emotionally Yours"?

Wonderful airline with a stupid slogan.

Rgds, Olly

hawk44

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:01 pm

I noticed the new slogan the other day I frankly I think it sucks. What was the old Delta slogan? My mind went blank when I saw the "good goes around."
Never under estimate the power of US

hawk44

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:03 pm

Side note wasn't Gene Hackman the voice on the commercials for the old United slogan ?
Never under estimate the power of US

baw716

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:38 pm

It constantly amazes me how much ad people get paid to come up with slogans which mean absolutely CRAP!

However, (and unfortunately), you have to ask yourself this question:

How did you FEEL about the ad???
What kind of emotional response did you have?
a) positive b) negative c) don't feel anything

If the answer is A, they have a REAL winner. If the answer is B, they got your attention, which is half the battle. You may not like it, but you paid attention and you had a response (marketing 101).

If the answer is C, it just plain sucks.

Since a lot of you seem to have some kind of emotional response, albeit negative, the slogan is effective....it got your attention. It got you curious. It got you to ask the question what the f... are they doing? If it gets you to think about them and they drive the message home and eventually they tweak it in such a way that you become accustom to it and eventually comfortable with it, then at some point, you will buy it. Or so the experts tell me.

I do know that brand development and management is a HUGE piece of a overall marketing strategy for a company and owning my own company and developing my own brand, I know it takes a lot of resources to get your name out there and known. Why do you think everyone went nuts when United dropped the "friendly skies" monacher they had for something like 30 years and went to "Rising". It should have been "Sinking". It would have been more accurate.

So all you armchair marketing gurus, lets have at it: What should we suggest for Delta, because "Good goes around" is going to come around and bite them in the ass....because, while it may get OUR attention, it will not get the general public's attention for more than 2 seconds.

If we apply logic (heaven forbid!), if we come up with a theme that actually MEANS something to the target audience, the people who actually HAVE to travel for a living, what would we say to them? What is important? Time, convenience, lack of hassle, value for their dollar, peace of mind....of course, you have to spend lots of money to know those things, but if I were to guess, the items I just stated would probably be up there on that list.

So...what do we say....Delta is making over its fleet, to give it a new fresh look inside, simplifying its fares to make it easier for the business person to understand. Flight full, pay more money. Flight empty, pay less money, until flight full, then you pay more money. I personally like: Flying made simple. Of course, that would be too easy...or is it too simple?

Let's see what we come up with.
baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

SLC1

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:59 pm

Didn't DL or someone have an old slogan like "we love to fly and it shows" or some crap like that? I was probably about 7 years old when that was on, but I seem to remember something like that.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

ANNOYEDFA

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:10 pm

I have a better one..... From Continental.... Chim Chim Chicken..... To this day I have no idea what that has to do with flying....
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

sudden

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:31 pm

Hm...lets see!

"Good Goes Around".

Ok, I get it! They are actually advertising that they make good go-arounds! Big grin

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

richierich

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:53 am

I think Cory was right in his initial post. If Good Goes Around, then Bad Must Go Around also, and considering Delta's current economic climate, that must be what is happening!

Seriously, the print ads actually don't bother me much. To me, it is not that different than Continental's "Work hard. Fly Right" ads. Airline ads are a tricky thing - those ads that don't actually show airplanes or airports have to conjure up positive images of safe, easy, comfortable travel and yet not offend anyone in the process. What usually results is a benign, meaningless ad campaign that stirs little or no emotion, sometimes not even making complete sense. "Good Goes Around" is meant to convey that if you are good to us, we'll be good to you and vice versa. Even if those three words are not a complete sentence, it doesn't matter... it is the imagery behind the tagline that is crucial. Delta's image is suffering lately in view of their economic perils and the company is obviously hoping ads like this allow people to forget that stuff and fly a company that will treat you well. Whether they are able to deliver on this message, is of course, up for debate.

I know some people hated the "We Love to Fly and It Shows" ads of the 80s and 90s, but this tagline was immediately identifyable as Delta - this is what the marketing folks are looking for.
None shall pass!!!!

PA110

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:08 am

A tag line or slogan, should not have to cause speculation. It should cause an immediate and (hopefully) positive response. "Good Goes Around" sounds like some sort of Zen thing. Tag lines are do change.

Pan Am - "You can't beat the experience" was one of the longest and best, until the "experience" started to become lousy due to poor labor relations being taken out on passengers.

American - "Doing What We Do Best" was immediately changed to "Something Special in the Air" following a DC-10 nosewheel collapse in San Juan back in the early 80's. The local newspaper had a photo of the aircraft and the caption read: "Doing What They Do Best".

United - "Fly the Friendly Skies" was abandoned when UA admitted they hadn't been particularly friendly lately, and came up instead with the apologetic "Rising" campaign, which only reinforced the image of how bad things had become.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

ahlfors

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:11 am

Good goes around, and bad just lands without going around.

Cactus739

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:48 am

I don't remember this being talked about on here, but there was an article in the Arizona Republic newspaper earlier this month that America West will be starting a new ad campaign this spring.

Replacing "Lower Fares, Fewer Restrictions" will be.....

"Get On Board."

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I really liked their old "Every Flight Counts" one.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0104amwest04.html

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ScottB

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:31 am

I have to admit that Delta's "good goes around" tagline made me go "huh?" as well. I guess I'm an old-timer because I associate "Delta is ready when you are" with the airline as much as "We love to fly and it shows." If I recall the TV ads from last year, the slogan then was "A world of reasons."

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:43 am

(Like, say, Delta's simplifares allow some small businessman to fly somewhere to close some deal which saves his company which saves people's jobs which lets someone have insurance on which they get a lifesaving operation at the Mayo Clinic, and they fly there on Delta. See? Good goes around. By lowering fares, it's good for you and good for us. Or some ridiculous tripe like that.)
Like AA's we know why you fly campagin? I like the slogan, but the commercials just suck!

I have a feeling that this Good Goes around is just a temporary thing...they never wanted to intorduce Simplifares this early and they probably came up with a quick slogan, and if they did that they were sucessful....they had record bookings on day 1 with an average of $1 mil +/hour in ticket sales!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

CMK10

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:48 am

I think it should say good people go around Delta. Their slogans have gone downhill since we love to fly and it shows.
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

QuestAir

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:18 am

I like SkyHigh's slogan best... it's been my signature ever since I joined a.net!
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:16 am

Oh my gosh, I was wrong...
Like, say, Delta's simplifares allow some small businessman to fly somewhere to close some deal which saves his company which saves people's jobs which lets someone have insurance on which they get a lifesaving operation at the Mayo Clinic, and they fly there on Delta. See? Good goes around. By lowering fares, it's good for you and good for us. Or some ridiculous tripe like that.)
Just heard a Delta slimplifares commercial...in FLL of all places.
Woman in STL is going to CVG for a date...she gets the slimplifare...

arrives at the airport early, is put on the earlier flight, he joy rubs off on the FA who tells a halarious joke!
Good goes around!

And this from a mainly song city...maybe Delta is finall getting its act together advertising wise!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

mtnmanmakalu

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:20 am

Does this new slogan mean that ALL DL A/C are going to return to the airport after takeoff...??? Or abort ALL landings..???

Big grin
I do, I don't, whatever.......

SESGDL

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:58 am

I like the new slogan, I think it makes sense and it's a good slogan. I don't know what the rest of you are thinking.

Jeremy

SWA TPA

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:07 am

Sigh. Makes me miss the good ol' days......

Delta is ready when you are.
Fly the friendly skies of United.
Were American Airlines! Doing what we do best!
Piedmont. The up and coming airline.
Fly the USA on US Air!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

QuestAir

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:11 am

Then there's always BA's 'World's Favourite Airline' and EasyJet's 'Web's Favourite Airline'!  Smile
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

stlgph

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:15 am

We're Amtrak with Wings!

God bless that Top Ten List. That was hilarious.

I dunno, call me stupid, but I liked the United's "Rising" advertisement.

Didn't Northwest once have an ad that was "Wait Til We Get Our Hands On You". I think I remember this one...complete with some light fluff pop tune to accompany it. Or am I dreaming.

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

SWA TPA

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:16 am

Wasnt Easterns "The Wings of man" at one time?
Also for EA, "We earn our wings everyday" great one!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Iflewrepublic

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:21 am

I always liked Pan Am's "The World's Most Experienced Airline."

Northwest Airlines - We're Ready When You Are.

Anyone ever hear Ian Van Dahl's "I wanna fly so high"? I think it was sung by Sonique. It would be interesting to see an airline pick that up as a theme song.

Iflewrepublic
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

malaysia

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:06 am

I DO NOT FOLLOW is one Slogan at INDEPENDENCE AIR
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

fjnovak1

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:41 pm

The slogan from NW I remember most is "Some People Just Know How To Fly"

Anyone else remember they used to have CTA (Switzerland)">BB King singing the song during the pre-flight safety video....I always thought Northwest had the cheesiest safety videos, now of course, they have no videos....

One time when i worked at my family's grocery store in Ann Arbor, Michigan, i was joking around w/ a NW pilot shopping there and I told him my new NW slogan: "Some people just know how to fly, and finally we've hired some of them"

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the US slogan currently: "We're not happy, until you're unhappy"
Go Blue!!

malaysia

Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:13 pm

IRAN AIR, Growing, Your Way

railmatt

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:03 pm

I like Delta's new slogan. New and fresh.

Now, can they deliver the "good"?

Jumpseat70

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:48 pm

"WE MOVE OUR TAILS FOR YOU!!" that was a good one.
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

PHLBOS

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:10 pm

Side note wasn't Gene Hackman the voice on the commercials for the old United slogan ?

Yes, Hawk44.

I remember one old Eastern Airlines commercial ('80s vintage) that had the slogan, "When you need the sun, there's only one... Eastern."

Wasnt Easterns "The Wings of man" at one time?
Also for EA, "We earn our wings everyday" great one!

SWATPA,

The We Have to Earn Our Wings... Everyday slogan was ringing in my head when I first opened this thread.

Anyone remember the old Allegheny Airlines slogan? I believe that it went something like this, "The Allegheny wedge... it has a lot more going for you." I remember hearing that slogan on the radio back in the '70s.

Personally, my favorite current airline slogans are AirTran's Go, There's Nothing Stopping You and Frontier's A Whole Different Animal.

[Edited 2005-01-13 15:21:10]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

graham697

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:37 am

I thought Delta's interim slogan is much better, "A World of Reasons". Whoever their advertising company is needs to be fired.
Looking forward to the new AA

767Lover

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:19 pm

My boyfriend attended an American Marketing Association meeting today featuring Delta's chief marketing officer as the keynote speaker. He (the speaker) explained the campaign started as more of an internal campaign. They did a lot of research within the company and the employees said that when one person does a good job, it has a domino effect on the company's performance.

Lono

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:22 pm

The only way to fly... was the best...
2nd best is You're free to move about the country...

This new slogan is a loser.... it only got our attention because we are airline geeks!!! the majority of the people will scratch their heads... "Huh?".. good fares?? good service?? good FF plan..??? good grief!!!
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!