MCOtoATL
Topic Author

Tower Air

Fri Mar 24, 2000 10:35 am

It seems that many people are extremely upset with Tower Air. I am well aware of some of their problems, and know that they have filed Chapter 11, but I assume are still flying. I do have some questions:

1) How much cheaper are they then other airlines?

2) If there planes are so old, do they ever speak of plans of updating their fleet?

3) Do their passengers know what kind of reputation they have?

4) Who would want to work for an organization with such a bad reputation?

5) Is there anything good about them?

Thanks,
JOE

varsity

RE: Tower Air

Fri Mar 24, 2000 10:47 am

They are usually competitive with the majors' lowest fares on the same routes, but if you have to choose between flying a creaky old 747 out of a hangar or a brand new A320 or 737 from a renovated terminal, on an airline that gives you mileage points, who do you think the public (I'm not talking about us plane nuts) would pick?

They don't have newer planes because they have no credit to buy them with, and for a lot of the work they do (military charters, hajj contracts) the 747's are ideal.

planenutz

Fri Mar 24, 2000 1:49 pm

Tower Air said that they had secured a line of credit and were going to continue operating during Chapter 11 reorg. However, about a wekk after they announced their bancruptcy they closed up shop at San Francisco. Their entire ticket counter was taken down and know there's no Tower Air presence at all.
Not all who wander are lost....

Sat Mar 25, 2000 2:19 am

Their 747 fleet is very old, they are all second hand, some of their 747-100s date back to 1970 when they were delivered new to Pan Am and Lufthansa. Heard a lot of stories about their fleet breaking down and causing major delays.

Sat Mar 25, 2000 2:25 am

I can answer Number 5

"Is there anything good about them?"

YEP, they are going out of business (hopefully)

woodsboy

Sat Mar 25, 2000 3:04 am

Tower definitely has a spotty reputation and they have also had a few accidents although none have been major. I use to deal alot with Tower military charters here in Fairbanks and generally the crews were pleasant and cooperative. They always carried with them one or two mechanics so that might say something about thier own perception of the reliability of their a/c!

Their crews, as I remember were often foreign, a mix of French, Greek and American come to mind in particular. Not that this should mean anything but it always makes you wonder about training and why a US based airline doesnt have American crews.

Their a/c did periodically experience mechanical delays but I recall that at least one of their 747-100s that visited frequently even had in-seat video and had leather (or leather looking) business class seating throughout. Maybe that one a/c is used exclusively for charters.

In general I think that when considering a charter type airline, ATA would be a much better choice. They seem to have things much more together and even thier older TriStars always seem clean and somewhat updated.