UNITED/ America west

Fri Jan 22, 1999 12:09 am

if united buys out america west, will united have a hub in phoenix as americawest does currently?

RE: UNITED/ America west

Fri Jan 22, 1999 12:27 am

I know somebody that works for UA and he just told me about this i am going to get more info. on it later.

Farhan Ali.

RE: UA/AWA/killing LAX ops?

Fri Jan 22, 1999 7:16 am

I was thinking about this very thing in english today (what else would I think about). I think it would be bad for UA to have a hub in PHX and LAX because of their close proxcimity. So, does anybody think that UA will send most of LAX's domestic ops to PHX and possibly everything to PHX and pretty much kill the LAX hub? Will it be the other way around, or will they just have both as hubs if the deal goes through?

Fri Jan 22, 1999 7:47 am

i think that it would be a bad idea that united should kiil the lax hub and come to phoenix becuase it would be WAY to much with united and south west. And united will need to change to terminal 4 becuse there current location in terminal 2 only has 4-5 gates!

Fri Jan 22, 1999 9:13 am

There's no way that UA would kill LAX ops. LAX is a very important airport for UA -- just look at all of the int'l routes. NRT, HKG, SYD, AKL, LHR, MEX, GUA, SJO, i'm sure i'm leaving out many. It also has a great majority of the transcontinental market out of LAX, with several flights to BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL, IAD, MIA, TPA, MCO etc. With its commitment to modernise T-8, which houses shuttle ops, and its recent acquisition of gates in T-6, it's certain that LAX will remain a UA stronghold for years to come.