zotan

Show About Concorde

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Rlight now on the show Nova on PBS they have a show about the concorde. I just turned it on, but just though it let you guys know...

roseflyer

RE: Show About Concorde

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Yes it was on at 8pm in the US on Nova. I thought it was a decent show. Nothing new or spectacular, but a fair representation of the financial disaster that was Concorde. It made a big point of showing that anything can be built if someone (in this case the French and British governments) would pay for it. It didn't offer much technical stuff though. I was hoping to learn some facts about that actual building of the plane since I missed out on that from when I worked this summer partially giving tours of the bird at The Museum of Flight in Seattle.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

N317AS

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:30 pm

Pretty interesting stuff. I had no idea the 747 killed so many "projected" Concorde sales. Of course landing rights may have killed a few also.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

roseflyer

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:49 pm

I thought that the orders were killed before the landing rights became an issue. But the plane's sonic boom really hurt its marketing potential since no one wanted it flying near them. It wasn't just a NIMBY thing, since it truly was loud. Also I never knew that Concorde struggled to make it from CDG-JFK with bad winds. Its range was the minimum necessary for its two big clients, which also killed sales.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!