kith

NW To ITH

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:24 am

Great news for ITH. Northwest Airlink (Mesaba) as agreed to start service to Ithaca to Detroit. With only service to Ithaca on Usairways with Saab 340's to LGA and a mix of CRJ/s/Dash 8's to PHL this is a welcome addition. Although not flight schedule is offered yet, it says "one ealry morning flight from ITH-DTW and one late afternoon flight" -Matt in KITH

MaverickM11

RE: NW To ITH

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:48 am

What do you do in ITH? I worked for USAirways Express for a year there during my senior year in college.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LY4XELD

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:49 am

Great news for Ithaca! I wonder if Mr. Foley, the CEO of Mesaba Holdings and Cornell Alumnus (in ITH) had anything to do with this (or at least provide some help!)?

Excerpt from his bio on the Mesaba Holdings website:
Mr. Foley holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Cornell University and a Masters Degree in Business Administration- MBA from Edwin L. Cox School of Business Administration at Southern Methodist University in Dallas Texas.
That's why we're here.

kith

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 am

I go to Cornell (ILR school) I bet it might have, they have been desperate to get another carrier in here for a while. Hopefully they will add more flights soon like they did in ELM/BGM. 68% of the Tompkins county travelers drive to SYR/BGM/ELM/ROC to fly because of the lack of service to/from Ithaca.

DFORD757

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:50 am

Heard that also...good news for ITH. Just hope that the demand is there, since NW serves ELM and BGM (with Mesaba and Pinnacle) and SYR, all of which are within an hour or less drive of ITH. Just have to wait and see!

LY4XELD

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:21 am

As a former student and resident (albeit temporary) of Ithaca, I can assure you that the demand is there; with students/faculty/etc. from Cornell and Ithaca College during the fall-spring and then some tourists (okay, a few tourists) in the summer, it should be sustained. The last thing you want to do when it's snowing is drive an hour out of your way to ELM, BGM, or SYR to find out your flight will be delayed!
That's why we're here.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:25 am

"and then some tourists (okay, a few tourists) in the summer,"

Ithaca is GORGES!
E pur si muove -Galileo

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:21 am

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13778500&BRD=1395&PAG=461&dept_id=216620&rfi=6

Good news for XJ and ITH.

Add ITH to the list of new cities from DTW coming online in the near future:
LBE, AVP, CHO

NW sees value in flying into these smaller markets and provided connectivity to the rest of the world. NW is using Mesaba and their fleet of workhorse Saabs to provide better air service, better hub access, and more cities to smaller markets in the East that were traditionally dominated by US. With PIT no longer a hub, many of these cities had poor access to cities in the Midwest, West, and Asia.

I figured there would be some sort of incentive package, there usually are for many of these cities, and NW is the only one who can capitalize on them since no one else really has suitable aircraft. There is still a place for turboprops, and a city like ITH is a market for them.

azjubilee

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:52 am

I'm willing to bet Foleys inflated annual income that he had NOTHING to do with this new service. Mesaba has no hand in deciding where to fly its airplanes. If it did, Foley wouldn't be involved as he is only the CEO of the holdings company that controls Mesaba. PSU - you're right... Mesaba is the perfect airline to snap up these small cities. We've got excess saab capasity and a burning desire to grow and increase our profits. I would guess a formal press release will be shortly be launched.

AZJ