vanguard737

Good Bye, Interflug!

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 am

Guten Tag,

Now I know that with the last session of the Volkskammer on 2 October 1990 and with East Germany coming under the jurisdiction of the Grundgesetz, the DDR ceased to exist on 3 October 1990. However, when was Interflug "Gestürzt in Ruinen?" (Bad joke, I know  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)Was it merged into Lufthansa, or, being a state-run airline, did the BRD take the reigns for a while before letting it die on its own? I would love some info on the last flight (Cities, A/C, date, etc.)

Tschuss

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © F. de Ruiter

320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 744 752 753 763 772 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 ERJ CRJ CR7

berlinflyer

RE: Good Bye, Interflug!

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:15 am

No, it continued to operate for a while, especially with it´s A310 longhaul planes. They negotiated with Boeing for leases, but they just went bankrupt before - of course mainly because Lufthansa had started service to Berlin then. Today their A310s are integrated into the Air Forces Fleet and one of it was equipped as Germany´s "Air Force One", now carrying the "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" title. Their TU145s were also in the Air Force Fleet for a while, one crashed off the shore of South Africa. The other one was sold after that.

foxecho

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:24 am

Forgive my ignorance, What airport did they fly into/out of in Berlin?

I am going to be aboard DL's Inaugural (return) flight into TXL on 03May, looking forward to spending time in Berlin!

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

PDPsol

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:45 am

Question for everyone,

I know this may seem completely far-fetched, but did Interflug ever operate the A340? I was looking at a pic the other day [and unfortunately, do not remember where I saw it] with what appeared to be an A340 in Interflug livery, complete with the red cheatline and the 'Austrian'-looking tail.

Then again, the pic was so fuzzy, it may have simply been an Austrian A340...

patroni

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:46 am

@ Andrew: Forgiven  Big grin
They operated out of Berlin-Schönefeld (SXF/EDDB). Enjoy the time at my former home town. I highly recommend visiting Tempelhof airport... not much traffic there nowadays, but still a historic monument!

@ Vanguard 737:
If I remember right, at the end they also operated an all-white Dash8-100, wet leased from Tyrolean, only wearing Interflug titles. Their last flight was on April 30, 1991, with a TU-134 from Vienna to Berlin. The last A310 flight was operated on April 28, 1991, from Larnaca to Berlin.

Cheers,
Tom

jsnww81

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:37 pm

What was the Interflug route structure like during the DDR days? How much domestic flying was there? I can't imagine there were more than a handful of cities in the DDR (Berlin, Dresden, Erfurt, Leipzig/Halle) that could have supported service. Where did the international flights go?

mariner

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:49 pm

The Interflug route map was quite interesting, although it varied a lot over the years.

The major international destinations were Vietnam and Cuba - there was a big billboard just outside Schonefeld airport: "Orange Juice - Fresh from Cuba!"

IIRC, the Vietnam service was via Tashkent.

There was regular service to Damascus (via Cyprus) and at one point to Baghdad. And, depending on the political mood swings, to some countries in Africa (I can't recall it is was Interflug or Aeroflot who flew as far south as Angola - or both).

And, of course, to the countries of the Communist bloc - Moscow, obviously, Budapest, Bulgaria, etc.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

eta unknown

Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:00 pm

They used to operate to Brazzaville and Maputo as well- I saw the abandoned office in Maputu in 1990- LAM took over the service routing Maputo-CDG-CPH-SXF, filled with Mozambiquan workers under contract to the GDR.

In th end they operated the A310 to SIN via somewhere in the Middle East- fares were extremely cheap, although the crew uniforms looked like they were sourced from the Salvation Army.

Fly-K

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:51 pm

@ Pdpsol:
Maybe what you saw was an image of the IL96 in IF colors, I remember seeing a poster with their future fleet including TU204 and IL96...
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

berlinflyer

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:14 pm

Foxecho: If you need any infos on Berlin for your stay let me know.

levent

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:54 pm

What were the travel needs like of East Germans? Was there a lot of tourism, was it mainly business or political trips? That part of the airline industry always remained a big mistery for me.

I was in Berlin in 1998 to visit the ILA airshow at Schönefeld, flew into Tegel and also visted Tempelhof.

SwissA330

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:32 pm

Interflug seems to be a travel agency now....

http://www.interflug.de

Same Name, Logo etc...
swissair/+/ we care

berlinflyer

Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:21 am

As far as I know some turkish businessman in Germany has bought the rights to use the name and logo for his travel agency. But this has nothing to do with what it was before.

foxecho

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:28 am

Berlinflyer and Patroni- Kindly Email me from my profile, I do have a few questions regarding transportation around Berlin and maybe even some aircraft spotting areas?

Thanks!

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

planenutz

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:58 am

I ahve a copy of the lat printed Interflug timetable from March 26, 1989 to October 29, 1989. Some highlights:

Destinations:

Europe: Amsterdan, Brussels, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Leningrad, Moscow, Milan, Rome, Vienna, Zagreb, Belgrade, Istanbul, Athens, Prague, Tatry, Bratislava, Bucharest, Sofia, Budapest, Tirana, Bourgas, Varna, Malta, Kiev, Sochi, Simferopol.

Africa: Algiers, Tunis, Cairo, Tripoli, Brazaville, Luanda

Middle East: Larnaca, Damascus, Dubai

Asia: Karachi, Singapore, Bangkok, Hanoi, Beijing

Americas: Havana

At the time that this timetable was effective services to Maputo, Addis Ababa and Amman had been temporaryily suspended.

The new A310s were used on flights to: Havana, Rome, Athens, Larnaca, Dubai, Singapore, Bangkok, and Beijing.

At the time the fleet consisted of A310s, IL-62Ms, TU-134s, IL-18s, and Let 410s. Oddly enough, the official airline of the "soldiers, workers and peasants state" had a business class product on all aircraft except for the TU-134s. The Let410s were used mostly for charters and were configured for 7 passengers in an executive layout.

Flight ops were based at Berlin's Shoenefeld Airport. A quick scan of the flight schedules tells that IF only operated daily flights to Moscow, Sofia, Prague, and Budapest. The rest of their routes only saw 3 flights per week at the most, but usually only 2.

I also have an IF timetable from 1976. There's one flight routing that I would have loved to have tried. It was Interflug's flight #910 operated by an IL-18 turboprop configured with 100 seats. It departed Berlin at 8:55am every Monday and arrived Hanoi 3:00pm the following day. The flight routed Berlin-Moscow-Tashkent-Karachi-Dacca-Hanoi. All on an IL-18 Big grin. IF had IL-62s a the time but opted for the much smaller prop. What a most excellent ride that would have been!
Not all who wander are lost....

jsnww81

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:28 am

Interesting that for many years Interflug's overseas network consisted mainly of capital cities sympathetic to the East German state. How else do you explain a need for service between East Berlin and Maputo (er, Lourenco Marques)?  Smile

There's part of me that finds these "patronage/prestige" airlines fascinating. While they didn't make sense economically (few things about communist East Germany did) they sure are interesting to look back upon. A little bit of this system lives on in airlines like TAP, which still operates to almost all of its former colonies in Africa and South America - and makes money doing it!

mariner

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:35 am

Jsnww81:

It isn't - or wasn't - unusual, and it wasn't limited to Soviet Bloc countries.

BOAC was, for a long time, regarded as a branch of the British Foreign Office, and their most profitable routes were - and many still are - to former British colonies/dominions, etc.

So with KLM and Sabena. Or Iberia to Spanish speaking South America.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

planenutz

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:46 pm

I've always wondered if any stats were kept as to how many defections occured by IF crews. I had heard thay they were actually quite rare even though flights to Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Milan, Rome, or Vienna would have created the perfect opportunity.

I understand that one member of the crew was a Stasi agent. The other members always knew there was one in their midst, they just didn;t know who. Also, IF only hired crew members with families that in turn could be kept as "collateral" back home to deter defections.

AIR MALTA

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:01 pm

Planenutz,

can you tell more about operations to Tunis : schedules, ac type, etc..

Thank you
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

dazeflight

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:39 pm

The A310 was operated to Moscow, too. It was planned to buy Tu204 and Il96 planes in the nineties. And interesting page for everyone speaking german is http://www.interflug.net which is mainained by a former Interflug Captain.

ciao
Daniel

TriStar500

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:09 pm

Regarding possible defections, I remember the story about one IF captain, who was deemed "unreliable" by the Stasi and who was exclusively assigned the SXF-SVO-SXF routing... year in and year out.... must have turned him crazy.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

dazeflight

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:10 pm

TriStar 500,

maybe you are talking about a slightly story on the website above... It is about a pilot who had contact with westerners (he was one of the few allowed to fly to western estinations) without reporting. He was immediately withdrawn from active Service and had to fill in flight plans and stuff like that for the rest of his "career"... no that's somethign to drive you crazy

ciao
Daniel

Sabena332

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:34 am

At the time that this timetable was effective services to Maputo, Addis Ababa and Amman had been temporaryily suspended.

I have an Interflug summer timetable from 1987 (got it cheap on Ebay some time ago). It still shows the routes to Maputo, Addis Ababa and Amman, here are the flight information in case someone is interested:

Maputo:

Flight IF750 (operated with an IL6, Classes: F/Y) on Thursday:

Departure in Berlin at 22:40h
Arrival in Brazzaville at 06:05h +1 day
Departure in Brazzaville at 08:40h +1 day
Arrival in Maputo at 12:40h +1 day

Flight IF751 (operated with an IL6, Classes: F/Y) on Friday:

Departure in Maputo at 14:40h
Arrival in Brazzaville at 18:50h
Departure in Brazzaville at 20:10h
Arrival in Berlin at 05:30h +1 day

Partner flight TM635 by LAM (operated with a D10, Classes: F/C/Y) on Sunday:

Departure in Berlin at 15:15h
via CPH and PAR (no times are visible for the stopovers)
Arrival in Maputo at 07:20h +1 day

Partner flight TM634 by LAM (operated with a D10, Classes: F/C/Y) on Saturday:

Departure in Maputo: 21:10h
via PAR and CPH (no times are visible for the stopovers)
Arrival in Berlin at 13:25h +1 day

Addis Ababa:

Flight IF734 (operated with an IL6, Classes: F/Y) on Tuesday:

Departure in Berlin at 04:55h
Arrival in Cairo at 09:10h
Departure in Cairo at 10:20h (no traffic rights on this flight)
Arrival in Khartoum at 12:45h
Departure in Khartoum at 13:55h (no traffic rights on this flight)
Arrival in Addis Ababa at 16:26h

Flight IF735 (operated with an IL6, Classes: F/Y) on Wednesday:

Departure in Addis Ababa at 14:00h (no traffic rights on this flight)
Arrival in Cairo at 16:45h
Departure in Cairo at 17:45h
Arrival in Berlin at 22:10h

Partner flight ET725 by Ethiopian (operated with a 727, Classes: F/Y) on Tuesday:

Departure in Berlin at 21:30h
via ATH, CAI and KRT (no times are visible for the stopovers)
Arrival in Addis Ababa at 09:15h +1 day

Partner flight ET724 by Ethiopian (operated with a 727, Classes: F/Y) on Tuesday:

Departure in Addis Ababa at 10:00h
via KRT, CAI and ATH (no times are visible for the stopovers)
Arrival in Berlin at 20:15h

Amman:

Flight IF/RJ654 (operated with an IL6, Classes: F/Y) on Sunday:

Departure in Berlin at 03:05h
Arrival in Larnaca at 07:55h
Departure in Larnaca at 08:40h (no traffic rights on this flight)
Arrival in Amman at 08:55h

Flight IF/RJ655 (operated with an IL6, Classes: F/Y) on Sunday:

Departure in Amman at 10:20h (no traffic rights on this flight)
Arrival in Larnaca at 12:40h
Departure in Larnaca at 14:05h
Arrival in Berlin at 17:00h

Interesting stuff, isn't it?  Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LHSTR

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:52 am

A friend of mine told me he, as a West-Berliner, once flew from SXF to IST on Interflug.
So they tried to make some money by serving the West.

Sabena332

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:59 am

A friend of mine told me he, as a West-Berliner, once flew from SXF to IST on Interflug.
So they tried to make some money by serving the West.

Many people from western countries flew on Interflug. In the timetable I have are many connection flights listed, for example to/from: AMS, CPH, MXP, VIE, ARN, etc.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

mariner

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:08 am

Lhstr:

They did make some money flying westerners.

We flew with them in 1989. About two dozen of us were taken by bus from central Berlin to Schonefeld.

We weren't allowed into the main terminal - there was a special area for foreigners, with two check-in desks.

Obviously, it took awhile, and Interflug officials were constantly coming along the lines and asking for pax to various places - the flights were due to depart - and moving those pax to the front of the line.

We were flying to Larnaca and check in was extremely pleasant, as was security - it was as if they had been ordered to be nice to foreigners.

We were taken out to the IL-62 on a bus - the only two on it - to find all the other passengers sitting on the plane waiting for our arrival.

It was terrific. It was full, all economy, but all the passengers were given a small amenities kit. There was no IFE, of course, but there was a lot of food, which a choice of beef or chicken for the main course.

The captain made all his announcements in German and English, but, during the flight, he made a couple of announcements telling us where we were and these were only in English.

We were the only two going to Cyprus, all the others were going on to Damsacus.

I enjoyed it very much.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

clipperno1

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:32 am

IIRC pre-1989 the Interflug A310 were also doing charter-runs from western-germany to holiday destinations. Heard that somewhere. At the end all the GDR focused on, was to bring in western currencies to their desolate economy.
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

planenutz

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:35 am

AIRMALTA:

Here you go, from 26-3 to 28-10-1989.

Flights operated on Sundays only.
IF684 Dep. SXF 1000 Arr. TUN 1505 IL62 F/Y
IF685 Dep. TUN 1610 Arr. SXF 1900 IL62 F/Y

Both the outbound and inbound operated via Malta.

airsicknessbag

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:51 pm

In the end (i.e. after the GDR collapsed but before IF did) Condor actually cooperated with IF, sending pax from SXF to the Caribbean, mainly Cuba, on IF metal (A310). There were plans to further integrate this by launching a joint venture “InterCondor”. While this obviously never became reality, there are some postcards out there with a retouched “InterCondor” 757.
In a way, DE later (1997 or so) got back to the idea and founded Condor Berlin, based at SXF to take advantage of lower wages in Eastern Germany.

Regarding IF flying 310s to SVO, they even managed to nearly crash one due to the pilots´ inexperience with the plane´s systems:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/1991/910211-0.htm

Daniel Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos