lincoln

TV: "Come Fly With Me" On The Travel Channel

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:15 am

Found this while surfing... Very interesting thus far apparently RE: John Travolta/Quantas (Did you know he was 747-400 FO qualified?)

Also on at 11:00 PM tonight if you missed it.

Lincoln

[Edited 2005-01-22 02:23:29]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

aa777flyer

RE: TV: "Come Fly With Me" On The Travel Channel

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:35 am

Did he have to get permission from Quantas to paint his 707 in Quantas colours? How much does he pay his crew....? Awesome show!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

EMBQA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:54 am

Quantas to paint his 707 in Quantas colours?

..QANTAS...QANTAS......QANTAS...there is NO bloody 'U'

Queensland And Northern Territories Aerial Service...Q-A-N-T-A-S

Well, the 707 he owns started life with QANTAS. Also part of the trade off for painting his aircraft was that he did the 'World Tour'.

[Edited 2005-01-22 02:55:54]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

lincoln

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:12 am

Sorry, EMBQA... Stupid error: QANTAS, QANTAS, QANTAS. I was trying to get it typed during a commercial break, and it looked correct.

Whose idea was it to (re)paint the aircraft in QANTAS colors, anyways? I'm not usually a retro fan, but I think it's a very cool look. Wish more airlines had one "retro bird" in their fleets... (Yes, I know it's not really in QANTAS' fleet, but...)

Also, why didn't he buy an American (the airline or an airline from the country) 707? I've yet to think of a reason for him to have purchased an ex-QANTAS besides cost or availability.

Also, does he have to fly with a 3-person crew (including himself) or can he get away with solo operations?

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

EMBQA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:23 am

Lincoln-

Well, that was more directed at the other post... but it bugs me so may American continuously get it wrong. As for the aircraft, as I said above, it was a joint venture between Qantas and John. Part of the trade off for getting the airplane painted in Qantas colors was doing the world tour... and he also got his 747-400 F/O Training. Also, as a bonus, the aircraft he owns started its flying career with Qantas in 1964. It later bounced around to Braniff and then was converted into a VIP Charter for Tracy Investments, then to TAG Aviation. John leased it on and off for a while before buying it outright around 1997/98. He flies with a full cockpit crew of 3...and must. A 707 is not rated at anything less...it is far to busy a work station to have it any other way.
When he first bought it:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Stevenson - Spot This!

The first repaint:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Pries - A.T. TEAM

The Qantas:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Troy Prybyski / Cactus Wings

[Edited 2005-01-22 03:49:21]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

NIKV69

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:35 am

Is that 11PM EST? That would be 8 here. I will try to watch it but "Highway to Heaven is on at that time!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

HPA320

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:39 am

This aircraft has been sitting in PHX for two weeks now.

I saw it once again today.
America West Airlines. 1983-2005. The Journey Continues...

lincoln

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:34 pm

On the Travel Channel website, it just says 11 PM... I'm out here in PST/PDT land and the way the Travel Channel loops it's programming it's entirely possible that it will be 11 PM on both coasts (or the Travel Channel could do the East/West feed thing but I don't think they're big enough)

And EMBQA... I also screwed it up and I'm an American. Thanks for pointing it out and I will try not to repeat the error. Part of it is the Qu thing that's hammered in in grade school.

Lincoln
(A Cable Television engineer, among 30 other hats, in real life...)

AWspicious

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:14 am

reviving a dormant thread:

Someone informed me the show about the last Concorde JFK fligh is being re-broadcast on the Travel Channel. I've scanned the listing we get here in Toronto and I didn't see it. Anyone have more info? Is there a certain programming name I should look for? Do we in Canada even get the same broadcasts as those in the U.S. ?
Thanks
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

DHLSAN

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:47 am

AW, from their website

network: Travel Channel
series: Concorde: The Final Flight

episode: Concorde: The Final Flight
rating: g | cc

... Concorde: The Final Flight Concorde: The Final Flight. British Airways retired the Concorde, ending the era of champagne and caviar at Mach 2 forever. Aboard ...

airing: — Jan 24 2005 @ 06:00 PM [ remind me ]

Yellow?