FCKC
Topic Author

50 Long Haul Planes For Air India........

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:14 pm

Indian Civil Aviation Secretary Ajay Prasad said in Singapore today , Air India is looking for funds to finance a 50 long haul planes order.
He also added that there will be no problem to find them.
The order will be split between long range 350 seaters planes and medium capacity long range 250 seaters
INITIAL deliveries calls for September 2006 !!!!!!!!!
In the battle are : A340-500/777-200LR/777-300ER/A340-600/A330-200/7E7-8 !!!!!!!!!!!!! No more A340-300s.

Final decision should be taken before the end of March.

This time should be the good one !!!!!!!!!!!

Air India Express will beginn on March27th with the first delivery of their 737-800s.

Indian Al should received 9 wide bodies (Types ?) , beginning on November to open new international routes.

After , all the new Indian LCCs came and will come , India seems to wake up seriously !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope all will be realised !!!!!!!

N79969

RE: 50 Long Haul Planes For Air India........

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:23 pm

The process for acquiring an airplane in India seems more Byzantine than any process than the acutal Byzantine empire could have possibly devised. Given the dozens of false starts in the past and resulting threads, I would not believe it until deposits are put down for new airplanes.

VictorTango

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:27 pm

VictorTango

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:30 pm

NYC777

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:33 pm

If we held our breaths from now until the Indian Govt. actually signs and puts the order in...no one will be alive then! I'm not going to jump for joy in March when the "announce" their decision.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

as739x

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:35 pm

Little spin off from the topic. Are there any set dates or date for San Francisco service?

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

kkfla737

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:48 pm

I'm sure the planes will be ordered by 2015. Perhaps AI can make do with some 707s until then and wet lease another 100 or so A-310's.  Smile

Maybe there is hope despite my sarcasim. I think AI still has so much unrealized potential. That having been said, I'm an Indian born in the USA who has not flown Air India back to India since 1980.

N79969

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:04 am

It's already to beginning...according to Reuters via Airwise, they will decide in June and not March whether to buy Boeing or Airbus.

" I'm an Indian born in the USA "

Doesn't that make you American?

VictorTango

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:47 am

ABCD?

Rgds, Olly

Falcon84

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:50 am

Final decision should be taken before the end of March.

Of what year?  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

jaysit

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:52 am

In the interim, Air Rwanda, Air Burundi, or Nigeria Airways must have some second hand Airbus A310s Air India can pick up.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

mrniji

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:36 am

That having been said, I'm an Indian born in the USA who has not flown Air India back to India since 1980.

I know what you mean.. often one experiences, even if one desparately wants to book AI, that any other alternatives is more convenient, either because AI does not offer suitable connections (Hub and Spoke, as well as Point to Point).. my girlfriend came over from SIN to India, and I tried everything (without her kmowing Big grin ) to push her in AI, end she ended up with UL, because AI just did not offer that what we wanted to.. I ended up on TG, since AI does serve every single city in India from SIN except CCU... what a management

Doesn't that make you American?

N79969, do you know the Simpsons episode where Illegal immigrants are urged to leave the country... when they discuss Apu's status in the end, being an Indian  Big thumbs up - just kidding.. Since I am Indian and US-born, too, I just claim both for me, probably same as KKfla737  Big grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

N328KF

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:43 am

Funny, I am an Indian born in India and I think of myself as American. It all depends upon perspective.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

NYC777

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:09 am

Even more funny I'm an Indian born in the UK and I'm and American!! Cheers!
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

mrniji

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:16 am

To add up confusion: I am an Indian born in the US and now back in India  Big thumbs up (who grew up in Germany and studied in the UK, btw..  Big grin )
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Vimanav

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:23 am

ABCD?

Surely better than being a "DCBA" Big grin

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

trvyyz

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:28 am

Native Indians are the real Indians. Oops! sorry, Americans. So, who are these Indians and Americans? It is so confusing. Who are Asians? Indians are not asians? Again what is going on. Are people here crazy?
Everything depends on how the North Americans define things and how they see you. But still who cares.  Confused

Back to the topic, when is AI coming to YYZ? Why can't they choose BOM over DEL. They could get more Pax from BOM than DEL as Amritsar and DEL are not too far away. Sorry if I sound ignorant.

airish

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:54 am

TRVYYZ

when is AI coming to YYZ?

Lets wait and see if AI have applied for it.

Hopefully there will be a published list of who has applied for what once all of the submissions have been made or failing that once the rights have been allocated.

Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

lh477

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:23 am

Air India is coming to YYZ in May/2005 from Amritser via Birmingham 3/wk.
Amritser is being chosen becuase of the Huge Punjabi population in Toronto.
Anyways, AI would have full flights to BOM, DEL, AMS, AMD, HYD from YYZ.

Try this one for size.......Born in Finland, Grewup in Finland,India, Tanzania, Canada, residing in Canada.
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

FCKC
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:47 am

LH477

744 or 772 for YYZ ?

IndianGuy

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:20 pm

Oh GawD! Another "Ai considers this" and orders that kind of post! Wake up folks! this is Air India, Indias national shame: which is still stuck in an era that the rest of India has left behind.

Air India doesnt deserve to get any more help from the Govt of India to purchae planes or whatever else. This airline needs to be shutdown and its assets transferred to IC or other state carriers who can do a far better job.

777ER
Crew

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:48 pm

AI are leasing some ex UA B772ERs so this could help to get more B777 models in the fleet.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

NWA742

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:40 pm

Wake up folks! this is Air India, Indias national shame:

With this statement coming from Indianguy, I take it's complete nonsense?

Sean could you help me out?

Also, anybody have any ideas on which company is more likely to win the order? Didn't AI just receive their first 777?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

777ER
Crew

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:44 pm

Didn't AI just receive their first 777? Yes AI have received their first leased B772ER. There are some pics in the database
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

777ER
Crew

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:46 pm

Here are the photos

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

jacobin777

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:04 pm

Well..my mother is Pakistani, my dad is Indian, 1/2 my great grandparents are Afghani, 1/2 are Indian, and I was born in good ole' USofA.....lived in London and Pakistan for a little while and I love France....go figure!!!

so..if I say "Pakistan Zindabad", my dad gets all over my case...."what, aren't you proud of your Indian roots and heritage?"...haha!!

actually, this summer, I'm going back to India (after 27 years) and to the villiage my dad grew up in....its only 100 miles south of Kathmandu.....maybe a trip to the Himalayas would be cool!!!

p.s.-desi movies rock........just saw 4 at the theaters the past 3 weeks....!!

can't believe Parveen Babi is dead...  Sad she ROCKED back in her days!

"Up the Irons!"

mrniji

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Back to the topic, when is AI coming to YYZ? Why can't they choose BOM over DEL.

Why the heck should everything of AI start in BOM?? This entire idea that Ai should only operate from BOM is a real pain for us north-indians  Nuts - as said, all the sadhars and Panjus, like me, would be pissed of in the long term if there are no flights oversea from the North .. no offense, my friend  Big grin - btw, I so agree with your assessment on being American, Indian... this entire concept of citizenship is a pain in the ...

744 or 772 for YYZ ?

I have only heard from the press about these plans, so I cannot confirm anything.. it would in that case be a 772 (considering the press, naming all possible 772 routes - to SYD, YYZ, CCU-LON, it sounds AI ordered 10+ 777  Big grin .. btw, cann 744 land in ATQ?

This airline needs to be shutdown and its assets transferred to IC or other state carriers who can do a far better job.

Dear friend, I just see it other way round.. having just travelled on IC to IXB, BLR etc, I prefer it to be swallowed by AI  Nuts

scotron11

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:13 pm

I asked this same question on another thread, but here goes again.

What does the Indian Government get out of controlling AI? Their plans to possibly sell-off 10% of the airline seems pitiful. Why don't they just sell all of it and get on with running the country and leave the airline alone.

Maybe they're afraid of success!

trvyyz

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Why the heck should everything of AI start in BOM??
Three reasons.
1. there is already a daily AC flight from YYZ to DEL.
2. Be it DEL or ATQ, it is the Punjabis that are going to fly in it. So, only one of them, ie ATQ would be sufficient and ( I also think ATQ and DEL are relatively close). So, it might be better to Make it BOM-ATQ-BHX-YYZ.
3. BOM is more convenient to Pax from most of the states of India. Connectivity to DEL is pathetic.

mrniji

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:17 pm

Their plans to possibly sell-off 10% of the airline seems pitiful. Why don't they just sell all of it and get on with running the country and leave the airline alone.

Maybe they're afraid of success!

It is not that easy... to leave Civil Aviation in India tb solely private driven is dangerous.. private airlines would never operate on routes where there is no operational benefit, although these routes (f.i. in remote India) could benefit the economy and hence the country as a whole.. who would otherwise serve remote areas?? Civil Aviation will remain for some time a matter, where the state needs to interfer - in your words: "They need that airline to run the country".. I agree that the way it is happening at the moment needs to be improved.. much more autonomy would do it.. in the end, we will end up like the civil aviation sector in the state.. and who will intervene in case of bancrupcy? The 'free market forces'??  Yeah sure

2. Be it DEL or ATQ, it is the Punjabis that are going to fly in it. So, only one of them, ie ATQ would be sufficient and ( I also think ATQ and DEL are relatively close). So, it might be better to Make it BOM-ATQ-BHX-YYZ.

BOM-ATQ.. is something like a compromise.. however, ATQ-DEL is some distance, we should not forget.. - it is not that close - Panjus from Patiala and Chandigarh, f.i. might be better off in DEL. But a hub-and-spoke flight DEL-ATQ would do it -

3. BOM is more convenient to Pax from most of the states of India. Connectivity to DEL is pathetic.

Sorry, I disagree.. if you are looking for a more central place, then how about HYD or so..  Big grin

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:53 am

my mother is Pakistani, my dad is Indian
What happens when India plays Pakistan in Cricket  Smile

About the Plans,Knowing India's Aviation Scene with regards to planning.I'd wait & watch.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

karan69

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:02 am

As far as IC is concerned they 9 fleet widebody order is going to be split or entirely be the A332 or the B767-400er

jacobin777

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:15 am

"my mother is Pakistani, my dad is Indian".....lol...my mom isn't a cricket fan, and my dad prefers the British Cricket team....!!!

...and I agree with you about the "wait and watch".....unless I see a finalised deal, one just never know what happens with desis.......  Smile
"Up the Irons!"

trvyyz

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:32 am

Sorry, I disagree.. if you are looking for a more central place, then how about HYD or so..

disagree, Me too.
How can you even compare HYD to BOM?
Take the different cities in India and tell me how many flights fly to BOM and DEL. I believe DEL won't even reach half the number.
From BOM it is easier to get an AI connection in the domestic sector without customs at BOM, but at your AI destination within India.Take my example, I can have my customs at TRV. This will be applicable to many other destinations and you will have the convenience of thru check-in. It is availble for TRV-JFK etc.
If it is the present route most of the non punjabis will never be able to fly AI from YYZ.
Eventhough I may not like the Customs of Mumbai, it is still a great city. Is it not the commercial capital of India?

Sorry to argue again.

mrniji

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:05 pm

disagree, Me too.

My friend, no need to be sorry to disagree again.. that is the purpose of the sight.
As far your argument goes, I insist on my version of DEL.. DEL is not that badly connected as you allege.. moreover, mentioning HYD solely served the purpose of a central city.. no need to compare BOM with HYD, you are right (I prefer HYD btw.  Big thumbs up ) - absolutely no need to route everything via BOM.. why do you think that other airlines are using smaller cities, as BLR, HYD.. increasingly as a base? There is enough potential at other places than BOM, which needs to be exploited.. routing everything via BOM is a failed strategy..  Big grin

I may call Canada my home, but I am still brown. I may have spent
majority of my life off the Indian soil, my soul however is still Indian....

My friend, thou concerns are the mine.. I am with you, I feel the same...  Big grin stayed myself in US and Europe most of my life, but my ethnicity will remain my biggest denominator of identity