The_Greq
Topic Author

What Is A PTA?

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:01 am

This is more a airline ticketing question, but I didn't know where to post it. So, does anybody know wat a PTA ticket or PTA passenger is?

I see it very often as an addition to a Passenger Name List. So in my opinion it is a passenger which paid his ticket but isn't on the namelist yet.

Thanks in advance,

Falcon84

RE: What Is A PTA?

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:05 am

A PTA stand for Prepaid Ticket Advice.

They still exist, but rarely. It's when someone other than the pax would prepay for a ticket, usually from another location, and the customer would pick up the actual ticket at the airport they are departing from. Happened a lot with young kids traveling, and their parents living in another city.

With the advent of Etickets, and the decline of paper tickets, PTA's rarely happen anymore.
Work Right, Fly Hard

VictorTango

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:13 am

PTA is Prepaid Ticket Advice.

When a ticket is sold in one city and ticketed in another city it is known as a PTA ticket.

Eg.
A passenger who is currently in city 'A' travelling to city 'B'.
However his chooses to buy his ticket from a travel agent in city 'C' (assuming 'C' is his home city). He makes the payment for the ticket in 'C' through a representative. But the ticket is collected by the passenger in 'A'.

Hope this helps.

Rgds, Olly

FLY2LIM

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:14 am

Not only that, but it used to be that the person who bought the ticket had to show the credit card they used to buy the ticket. I suppose this would make the above named scenario impossible.
Funny, though, as many times as I was told to bring the credit card used to the airport counter, I don't recall ever having been asked to see it.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

N405MX

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:31 am

Prepaid Ticket Advise

Used when somebody buy you a ticket anywhere else where you are starting your flight, for example, you are travelling MIA-ORD, and somebody bought your ticket in ORD, there is where the PTA is used, now is being replaced by the E-TKT (Electronic Ticket)

Regards
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:14 am

FWIW, most carriers charge a sometimes hefty administrative fee for setting up a PTA, since it takes time for the agent to put together and for the funds on the FOP to be secured.

As others have mentioned, PTAs are a rarity these days thanks to the advent of e-ticketing and interline electronic ticket agreements.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BigOrange

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:52 am

A Prepaid Ticket Advice was used mainly by travel agents having an airline issue a ticket in a different country, e.g. when a passenger changed their itinerary enroute.

It's exactly the same as a TOD (Ticket on Departure) but for some reason the airlines only called it a TOD if it was issued in the same country as the travel agent.

They are still used where e-ticketing is not possible.