Zweed
Topic Author

The Intelligent Passport Control At Newark

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:29 am

A very good friend of mine just came back from the states.
I did not believe him and probably will many of you slag me off saying it is false. But I believe my dear friend.

When he was standing at the passport controll, they asked him the normal questions, no worries.

Then this question came. Keep in mind, my friend is born 1977 is will therefore be 28 this year (for thouse of you who are bit slow on the math)

Did you have any co-operation with Nazi-Germany during WWII

At first he laughed, thought it was a joke. but was asked to answer the question. Of course he answered....no

But seriously, what is this?
Do they have a standardized sheet with questions which are selected by random for every new person or what is wrong?

yes, it is a true story

[Edited 2005-01-25 18:30:09]

Sabena332

RE: The Intelligent Passport Control At Newark

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:34 am

This is a standard question on the backside of the I-94W immigration form, I am sure that the immigration officer didn't ask him this question personally.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Zweed
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:37 am

He got asked that personally, yes. As I wrote

airbazar

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:45 am

If you tell me the "front desk" immigration officer asked this, I won't believe it. But if you tell me he was pulled aside and questioned more, then I can believe it. One would have to know when WWII took place in order to know whether to ask that question or not and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those guys don't know when WWII was.

Sabena332

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:46 am

He got asked that personally, yes. As I wrote

That is odd, I never had an immigration officer who asked such a question, I only know it from the I-94W form (and I never saw an US immigration officer who looked at the backside of this form).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ual747den

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:51 am

Maybe he did not answer the question on the back of the form so the INS officer had to do it for him and to do that he would have to ask the question. I do not think that they would just ask to be funny or an A-hole because that area is under tight video and audio surveillance, it wouldn't be worth his job!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

jcxp15

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:53 am

Weird question to ask...

I guess it was put in place after the war, and just hasn't been taking off...

I would doubt any people left from WWII would be trying anything, as most of them are fairly old and probably have other things to worry about.

magyar

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:48 am

Maybe there was a secret lie detector in operation and they wanted
to calibrate it with this question?

Perhaps we need to get ready for questions like:
"What role did you have in the assasination of Abraham Lincoln?", etc.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:51 am

Maybe they are concerned with younger generation family members whom had parents or grandparents who were active Nazis, and believe the enterant may be seeing/supporting a wanted Nazi war criminal. Then again, maybe the agent flunked history in high school. Usually I find EWR's passport control to be very efficient, with no problems.

bennett123

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:21 am

Ltbewr

Even if my father was Josef Mengele and I was bringing him a fake passport, and $1M, think about it,

"Did you have any co-operation with Nazi-Germany during WWII".

No, I am supporting someone who did Co-operate with Nazi Germany. The only person who co-operated is Josef Mengele himself.

This sounds like a positive vetting form that I received once, it asked the following "Have you been involved in espionage".

It seems that security need to learn how too ask sensible questions.

star_world

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:58 am

The questions on the I-94 waiver form are basically irrelevant in themselves, as no person is actually going to answer 'yes' to them - it just gives immigration authorities a clear-cut reason to deport you in the event that any of the answers are found to be false, particularly with regards to denied visa applications, etc. - as you've answered no to all those questions and signed your name to it they don't need to find any other reason to make you leave the country...