mauriceb

AF-KLM Might Add Alitalia To The Group

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:39 pm

the italian minister Berlusconi did an aproval with Jean-Cyril Spinetta to get Alitalia in the group. But first Alitalia must get out of financial problems and announce the defenite re-structure plans.

think they will fit well in the group, might see them restructuring the whole fleet after the fusion...

bobnwa

RE: AF-KLM Might Add Alitalia To The Group

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:16 pm

I think Alitalia might be all for it, but I don't think AF and KL are that enthused.

StarFlyer

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:31 pm

Fact is, AZ needs cash quick. This is the chance for any airline or alliance to buy market share in Europe. Hence I would not restrict potential buyers to AF/KL.
Maybe we'll see LH or BA take up the commitment...
Yours truly - StarFlyer

LifelinerOne

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:32 pm

I think Alitalia might be all for it, but I don't think AF and KL are that enthused.

Well, Air France-KLM has always said that Alitalia is welcome when their financial situation is okay. Air France-KLM has a stake of 2% in the troubled Italian airline.

Let's just wait and see if Alitalia recovers from it's troubles.

Cheers!
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

JoFMO

Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:19 pm

Just two month ago the Italian finacial ministre offered Alitalia to LH now the government is holding talks with the French government.

It looks like nobody is really interested in Alitalia. And AF/KLM would be mad to becoming engaged with Alitalia before their financial troubles are solved. Unfortunately Alitalia need to become engaged as a stating point for solving it's problems.
Not a comfortable situation for AZ.

mauriceb

Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:21 pm

AF clearly said that it would take AZ if they are out of financial problems, now berlusconi really wan't AZ into the AF-KLM group, it would also make much more sense since they are already a sky-team partner

globetrekker

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:24 am

How strange the world is....KL and AZ used to be very close partners in the 90's with a KL 747 even stationed at MXP to carry out flights to SYD, then they went through a nasty divorce, with both airlines blaming each other for the break-up. I remember this well, all the KL-AZ posters, signs etc. were taken down immediately at my station.

Now they ended up being in the same alliance and they may join the Air France-KLM Group......

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

FlySSC

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:42 am

Just a few weeks ago, AZ announced they wanted to leave Skyteam for the Star Alliance, as they said they had no advantages to stay with AF ...

Now they want to join AF/KL ...  Insane

One think is sure : AF/KL will take the risk to buy AZ in its present situation... and if ever one day AZ's situation is improving, I am not sur they would be interested either.