Indy
Topic Author

Anyone Been To IND Concourse A Lately?

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:13 am

Has anyone here been to IND concourse A in the past few weeks? How is the traffic there? Is it too overcrowded? Uncomfortable? I remember there is a Subway shop in A but is there anything else? Are they doing any construction? Your comments and/or photos would be appreciated.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

7e72004

RE: Anyone Been To IND Concourse A Lately?

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:15 am

Here i am (no surprise *lol*) I have not been there lately but i would guess it is pretty crowded with NW and WN there. I would expect it to be more crowded when the next phase of NW flights is online next month.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Indy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:18 am

I'll be there in 6 weeks. But curiosity kills the cat as usual. I've seen comments posted about it being crowded but I'm trying to get a better feel for just how bad it really is. Isn't there another 16 flights or so being added next month?

7e72004

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:32 am

I believe so...even now i have heard it is very crowded. I used to think that with just the MEM, DTW, MSP flights it was crowded *lol* I would love to see some direct flights to SEA

7e72004

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:27 am

I think they should just put NW, CO, and DL in concourse C, ATA over in concourse A with Southwest;

LV

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:34 am

As much as I love talking about IND as the next guy if we don't slow down and space out the IND topics it will become the next CRW or RDU on this board, so overtalked to everyone gets sick of it and just ignores the threads and contributes nothing....and that takes away the whole point of posting threads

stlgph

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:51 am

Nah, everyone loves Indianapolis!

Just wait until May when race time begins and all the charter flights start arriving.

If Concourse A is getting "crowded" let it. But I don't see how it would be getting too crowded anyway. Concourse A has always been busy in and of its own sense...TWA used to fly 757's out of there and Northwest has always had a brisk business. So they've added a few regional jets here and there. It is nothing the concourse can't handle as far as passenger loads are concerned. There is plenty of waiting room for the next passenger. If you want something to eat, there are a plethora of restaurants and eateries in the airport's central food area on the way to B & C. It is nothing that a person from A couldn't walk to. Just because Northwest has added new flights doesn't mean a new food court should be constructed in the A concourse. Keeping most food restaurants outside of security for a non-hub airport is probably the best idea.

Of course it would make sense to put ATA & Southwest together, Delta, Northwest, Continental, etc. all together in the same terminal. But right now I think some airlines are content on staying put where they are....like ATA I think really wants/likes being in Concourse C and I don't think convincing them to move without them putting up a fight would be very easy.

Right now I think the Indy Airport Authority is probably pleased beyond belief that the airlines are doing a great business, a new airline is coming in, and ATA and Northwest are committed to great amounts of growth = more revenue from PFC's and landing fees for them.

Despite the fact that the airport might be getting too small for the operations it is currently providing, the airport is still very reliable and convenient for its customers, offers great low airfares to practically -everywhere- and draws from a very large geographic area. So let them run it, enjoy the revenue, and get down to work on the new airport terminal.

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Indy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:08 am

BTW... how is RDU doing? NW is flying from IND to RDU  Smile/happy/getting dizzy . We can create one hell topic about IND and RDU. j/k of course. One of the worst times at the airport isn't around Thanksgiving or Christmas but rather F1 race time. I few out around then. Trying to remember for sure but I believe that as the time I saw the EAL 747 sitting there. I think its been 2 or 3 years.

7e72004

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:10 am

Right after 9/11 was some sight...airlines and planes you would never see at IND were there. I think IND had one of the highest # of diversions.

Indy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:12 am

BTW.. I understand the comment about the IND threads. I feel the same way about the A380 threads.

7e72004

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:13 am

and i feel the same way about the USAirways threads..  Big thumbs up

Indy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:16 am

All we need now is for US to start A380 service from IND to RDU. Prozac sales will hit record levels.

DL_Mech

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:56 am

TWA used to fly 757's out of there

Back in the 70's/early 80's, TW used to fly the L-1011 out of there. It always left from the second gate on the right side of the concourse (don't know the number).
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

7e72004

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:58 am

that would be gate A-4  Big thumbs up