flybyguy

Civil Aviation Entry-Level Engineering?

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:09 am

Hi All,

I'll soon be graduating in May of this year and was just wondering if anyone knew of airlines, government departments, or any civil aviation related company and/or agency in need of entry-level mechanical engineers. I am aware of the major aerospace companies like Boeing, Raytheon, etc. may be hiring, but I was wondering if airlines or air-cargo services also hire engineers.

I have a few job interests in line already, but want to broaden my options before dedicating my time to the few interests I have already. I am willing to go international or travel frequently if required.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

LY4XELD

RE: Civil Aviation Entry-Level Engineering?

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:16 am

Flybyguy,

Sounds like you are in the situation I was in 2 years ago. Same major (same school, too...Cornell?). Not much exists out there for entry level engineers that I found in agencies like the FAA, NTSB, etc. Some airlines need mechanical engineers, but those are few and far between. I've interviewed with AA MX in Fort Worth and in TUL and it seems like there is always something that prevents them from hiring me (usually an internal candidate shows up and they have to prefer them). I didn't look into cargo operators, but there's a chance there. I'd say you'll be more valuable to an airline if you have even a little experience under your belt. I'm working now for a major defense contractor in Fort Worth (not too hard to figure that one out!).

That's why we're here.

goCOgo

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:58 am

Interesting question. Is there any market for entry civil engineers? I'm most likely going to end up in water resources, but might I get a bite or two if I put out a résumé to some aerospace companies?
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

FriendlySkies

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:04 am

You could always major in Aerospace Engineering like I'm going to.  Big grin

I know companies like Boeing use all sorts of engineers, including mechanical, material, aestetical, aeronautical, computer, etc...airlines usually have a handful to maintain and run the simulators, but your best shot is probably not in the aerospace industry. If you look hard enough, you'll find something.  Big grin

goCOgo

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:25 am

I wish I could afford Case for aeronautical, but as it is I'm stuck at Cleveland State. We are supposed to be starting a Masters program in transportation engineering, so maybe I can go for that and get into airport design. But I'm probably just dreaming.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

jjbiv

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:53 am

How did you guys ever make it through differential equations and engineering (read: calculus-based) physics? I have nothing but respect for engineers!

joe

malaysia

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:22 pm

I MADE SORRY DECISION, I regret it

I should have stayed in AEROSPACE ENGINEERING. I changed to AIRLINE/AVIATION MANAGEMENT and since graduating 3 years ago, I still have no salary job and not even a management level career in the lousy industry.

You engineers are luckier than me I would say, so I am doing some extra schooling in accounting to try doing some airline corporate career.

NW did look for civil engineers once (buildings and structural planning for NWA facilities worldwide)

So much for a perfect world
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens