graham697

The Future Of PIE

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:29 pm

With ATA and Southeast now gone all PIE has left is USA3000 and some random canadian carriers. ATA's depature should have been forseen as the carrier no longer needs to serve PIE to have access to the Tampa market. I assume they won't need to expand.
Looking forward to the new AA

7e72004

RE: The Future Of PIE

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:31 pm

ATA is still serving PIE from MDW aren't they?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

graham697

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:33 pm

Nope, according to the Times (St. Pete) it is a complete withdraw.

moman

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:42 pm

They will still want to expand to capture the "expected" increase in tourist traffic.

Too bad for PIE, that's a nice little terminal.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

exFATboy

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:36 pm

I thought ATA was going to continue PIE out of MDW - it's on the WN codeshare list.

http://www.ata.com/about_ata/news/20050113.pdf

It still makes little sense to me, BTW, since WN flies MDW-TPA - perhaps the ATA flight schedule just allows for easier connections to/from specific WN flights?

It is too bad about PIE, but as we've discussed on here before, PIE and TPA are so close to each other that PIE doesn't offer a material advantage over TPA.

stlgph

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 pm

Look for USA 3000's new nonstops between Chicago Midway and Indianapolis! Haha.

I'm sure the terminal will get some low cost carrier in there. What about Trans Meridian, Hooters Air, etc.?

Give it some time.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

727LOVER

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:05 am

Nope, according to the Times (St. Pete) it is a complete withdraw.

Got a link? Is this today's paper?
Love Trumps Hate

DB777

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:10 am

There was an article yesterday about ABE (Lehigh Valley Int'l Airport) working out a deal with a consultant to provide service from ABE to PIE and FLL using Pace aircraft. The shutdown of Southeast has made a big dent in the ABE airport's revenues so they've been proactive in getting some Florida service restored.
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

L104me

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:15 am

It's funny that the ATA press release mentions nothing about the withdrawal of the MDW service. But all of the local media is reporting a complete withdrawal. I heard it first on the local NBC affiliate, and also found it on BayNews9.com

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2005/1/27/69486.html

I wonder how long the PIE airport can survive with such limited commercial service?

kkfla737

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:03 am

I wonder how long the PIE airport can survive with such limited commercial service?

Good question. AA, US and perhaps EA all served PIE at one time and closed it. It's really a shame, but TPA int'l is one of the finest airports in the country and the two airports are just seperated by the Howard Frankand Br. so there is little advantage to PIE, except perhaps for Pinellas County pride.  Smile

moman

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:20 am

the article is on the front page

The only thing Pinellas county has to be proud of are the beaches and downtown St. Pete along the waterfront. The rest is marginally nice, and at worst, urban decay. Look at the decisions made by the city and county planners and it's easy to see there is no foresight in their decisions. Clearwater builds a world-class ballpark for the Phillies underneath tons of power transmission lines, beside a bunch of ghetto apartments, and the other side is an ugly highway (us 19). I could think of three or four more examples.

The airport is no exception to this mismanagement. PIE is a great GA and cargo facility but they are fighting a losing battle with TPA. TPA is much nicer facility and the wealth in the area is on the Hillsborough side, not Pinellas.

Pinellas just needs to get used to it's place in the shadow of Tampa. There has always been the "jealous little brother" syndrome and PIE is an outgrowth of that. Until Pinellas gets serious about attracting large companies with well paying jobs, we will see all those jobs go along the Veternas expy area in Tampa or along I75 between New Tampa and Brandon. The cycle will continue.

Moman

John

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:34 am

Look at how close PBI, FLL and MIA are to each other..yet they are 3 seperate and distinct markets.

exFATboy

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:58 am

Nothing on ATA's website yet, although I just tried to do a flight search for June MDW-PIE and it told me there were no flights available. Website returns March flights just fine.

Tampa Bay's main news radio station, 970, is also reporting the pullout:

http://www.970wfla.com/fla_localstory.html?ID=20050127075801

although they don't cite a source.

Hooters Air would be a possibility for St. Pete, since Hooters was founded in Pinellas County.  Smile

moman

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:56 am

Look at how close PBI, FLL and MIA are to each other..yet they are 3 seperate and distinct markets.

PIE and TPA serve the exact same market: Tampa for business and Clearwater/StPete for beaches. The beaches here aren't near as well known as the panhandle or east coast, or even further down by Sanibel island, etc.

Moman

highflier92660

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:04 am

With TPA the primary airport across the bay, PIE has always played a secondary role over the years. The passenger traffic has overwhelmingly been leisure "snow-bird" types and people on a budget who could care less about the seat pitch, the type of aircraft, or the fact that the airline they're flying on is in the midst of an FAA investigation. (See Southeast.) St. Pete/Clearwater passengers willingly endure the elements like sub-tropical down pours as they board and deplane from their aircraft. Like a cyclical roller coaster, in the worst of times the place has looked like a veritable ghost town.

However, to the city father's credit and foresight, PIE will upgrade its terminal facility over the coming years, extend the runway out to 10,000 ft., and in so doing help attract a new start-up carrier or possibly an existing one like Hooter's Air.

MAH4546

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:05 am

PBI is pretty independent, but MIA and FLL cater to the same exact population base and market. FLL is the domestic airport, MIA is the international airport.
a.

MAH4546

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:13 am

Here is the article:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/27/Business/ATA_to_stop_local_ser.shtml

It states PIE-MDW is ending too.

There is a rumour that has been posted on this board that Spirit Airlines may move their TPA operations to PIE, but take it with a grain of salt.
a.

727LOVER

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:36 am

I guess SRQ is ending too... Sad
Love Trumps Hate

kkfla737

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:58 am

I guess SRQ is ending too...

FL already announced SRQ-MDW, so I don't think the loss will be that great for Sarasota/Bradenton.

moman

Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:41 am

However, to the city father's credit and foresight, PIE will upgrade its terminal facility over the coming years, extend the runway out to 10,000 ft., and in so doing help attract a new start-up carrier or possibly an existing one like Hooter's Air.

Some might call that lunacy. As a Pinellas county resident (yuck), the money could be used elsewhere including cleaning up this place and better roads.

With TPA the primary airport across the bay, PIE has always played a secondary role over the years. The passenger traffic has overwhelmingly been leisure "snow-bird" types and people on a budget who could care less about the seat pitch, the type of aircraft, or the fact that the airline they're flying on is in the midst of an FAA investigation. (See Southeast.) St. Pete/Clearwater passengers willingly endure the elements like sub-tropical down pours as they board and deplane from their aircraft. Like a cyclical roller coaster, in the worst of times the place has looked like a veritable ghost town.

That made me laugh out loud, because it certainly is the undeniable truth.

Moman

graham697

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:48 am

It would be smarter if the state just came in and created a "Tampa Airport System" just to jab at Pinellas. The current HCAA could easily take over PIE and let it be a charter/cargo airport.

PIE has had a stellar year and personally I wished them luck, but I hope no airline leaves TPA for PIE, because you will have many pissed off passengers who don't even know PIE exists. ATA experienced that a lot here in Tampa, where the people picking them up came to Tampa when they have no operations here. I guess free parking will return soon....

moman

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:53 am

NO airline that wants to stay in business will move from TPA to PIE. It's plain and simple.

Moman

kkfla737

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:14 am

according to the April 1988 Braniff (II) timetable, BN served PIE and TPA. Both were served from MCO, but TPA also was served from MCI. Interesting that they flew to both airports. Perhaps that also explains why they were gone just over a year later!  Smile

LGA777

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:52 am

Keep in mind the BN service was some sort of leftover from Florida Express and PIE was just served by a BAC-111.

And to add to Momans copy of the article about Hooters Air as a possible
future tenant at PIE, how many of you know where the first Hooters restaurant was, it was in Clearwater, Florida, only a few miles from PIE !

LGA777

APFPilot1985

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:56 am

from a GA standpoint i prefer TPA vastly, raytheon is great and the mall is just a hop skip and a jump, its a fun little cross country. If you file IFR the controllers are great.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

SegmentKing

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:08 am

Trans Meridian already has a presence in PIE, although I'm not sure how active they are.

I believe that PIE just spent a few million renovating the first set of gates off to the right side of the terminal... maybe its time to level part of it and add jetways...

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

moman

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:01 am

Okay I just want to clarify, I am not trying to be negative about the airport that is less than a mile from where I live (PIE).

I do not believe the market is in this area to successfully operate two commercial airports. This is not Chicago, San Francisco, or even Atlanta (which only has one airport). This is Tampa bay area, and TPA serves 99.9% of the commercial traffic in this area. TPA even serves with some success Bradenton/Sarasota but recently their airport (SRQ) has been getting more flights (good for them).

PIE really doesn't serve a market. I would like to see the airport succeed, but if Pinellas is to be successful in their quest to stop being a jealous little brother of TPA, the county needs to invest in the business structure and new desirable development to develop the market for PIE.

Tampa bay area (TPA) is also squeezed for commercial service by SRQ & RSW to the south and MCO to the east. This is unlike other large airports (STL, MCI) that cover huge swaths of country. I've driven to MCO a couple times for a flight since it's only about an hour drive, and I know a lot of people who regularly compare TPA to MCO.

BTW, Hooters air coming here would be great.

Moman

[Edited 2005-01-29 03:10:36]

DB777

Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:14 pm

To add to the list of defunct airlines that have served PIE, add Air Florida.

When they started up as an intrastate carrier (not subject to the CAB which regulated airline routes) in 1972, they had their B707 on a triangular routing serving MIA, PIE and MCO. I flew to MCO via PIE on the 707 and then back from PIE to MIA in early 1973 on a $2 space available pass available to all airline workers. The terminal at MCO was a cold as hell converted hangar back then.

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

ConcordeBoy

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:57 am

Also, compare the size of the MFW market to that of the Tampa metro area.....
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!