Anair
Topic Author

Supercostellation Abandoned In Gcrr 25 Years Ago

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:08 am

Hi everyone!

I'd like to tell you what I know about the story of a Connie that was abandoned in the Spanish airport of Lanzarote GCRR - ACE 25 years ago.

I just know about it that it was a cargo plane that landed there. Due to a mechanical problem that the owners couldn't afford the plane was sold to a local businessman that tried to open a bar in it.
Unfortunately he didn't received the agreement of the local authorities and the plane finished abandoned near the airport, where remained for some years till it disappeared.

Could anyone help me to know more about it? My father was friend of the businessman that owned it, and I remember going to play in it.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited 2005-01-27 20:09:39]
En un lugar de La Mancha....

Av8trxx

RE: Supercostellation Abandoned In Gcrr 25 Years Ago

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:17 am

A search of the net turned up:

Super Connie, registration F-BHBI, ex-Air France, last operator Air Frêt. The plane has been scrapped.

1981 photo at Lanzarote:
http://www.travelnotes.de/planes/canary/pconnie1.jpg

Anair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:58 am

Thanks a lot Av8trxx, how have you found it?.

You can't imagine what I've felt when I've seen it after so many years!!!!! It has been like returning to my childhood.

Thanks again.

More info from anyone would be appreciated

Anair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:51 pm

I've found some info:

The plane was owned by Fenix Air Transport. It was making a flight from Bissau to Lisbon when it landed on Lanzarote GCRR - ACE reporting engines 3 and 4 feathered. It landed without problems.

Two local businessman bought it in order to use it as a bar. It finished abandoned in front of the airport for some years, till someone make it burned for unknown reasons and was scrapped.

More info is still appreciated