DLX737200

ATL: Bad News With Bad Weather

Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:17 am

Hey everyone. DL has cancelled many flight in and out of ATL tomorrow due to the threat of freezing rain. If you are flying through there tomorrow, u might wanna check http://www.delta.com to check the status of your flight. Avoid ATL if you can. That place will be a madhouse.

-Justin

ERJ170

RE: ATL: Bad News With Bad Weather

Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:21 am

Delta has preluded to cancelling flights to most if not all of GA, SC, and NC..
Aiming High and going far..

DLX737200

Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:37 am

I'm pretty sure all of TPA and MCO Service from ATL has been cancelled for tomorrow as well. Oh the amount of money that will be lost tomorrow!  Sad

-Justin

srbmod

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:04 am

It's going to be very nasty @ ATL tonight and tomorrow. Current forecasts show a mix of sleet and freezing rain starting tonight and continuing through much of Saturday. Saturday's high is predicted to be at or barely above freezing. Current predictions have the southside of Atlanta (Where the airport is) receiving an accumulation of between a quarter inch to a half inch of ice. I know I'm not going to be going to work up there tomorrow, and I expect the airport to be a ghost town, so not working my shops on D and E tomorrow won't be that damaging.

ERJ170

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:20 am

Is DL going to move their aircraft or let them sit in ATL with the sleet/freezing rain?
Aiming High and going far..

MD88Captain

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:23 am

Move them where? If you had to deice every overnight plane, it would cost less and be less disruptive than flying them somewhere.

litz

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:55 am

There's nowhere to put them! Airplanes are generally fairly large critters, after all ...

I imagine they'll put what they can fit in available hangar space, the rest will either deice naturally prior to departure or will be deiced manually.

Remember the pictures of, what was it ... Portland, OR?, during that huge ice storm in the northwest last winter? Something like 12-20 inches of ice all over everything ... nowhere to put the planes, so they iced up like everything else.

- litz

DeltaMIA

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:36 am

The planes are being moved where they can. Especially M88's. Stations are having extra RON aircraft tonight. Some like DAB, MLB, SRQ will have planes overnighting when they don't even have a departure to ATL tomorrow.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

deltaffindfw

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:12 am

All this and the huge schedule reshuffling and DFW hub closing on the same weekend. Scheduling will be working hard!

OttoPylit

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:03 pm

Just to let everyone know who may be flying tomorrow, be aware that many flights to everywhere are cancelled right now. Freezing snow and sleet in ATL right now, supposed to worse by early morning. In the employee parking lot, people were borrowing ice scrapers to clean off their windshields. Not something that many are used to doing here in the South, especially a boy like me from Florida. Most flights for tomorrow are cancelled until at least midday, but if the storm turns up not as bad as predicted, some flights may start to be reinstated earlier. We will see. Personally, I am thinking about calling in sick. lol Just kidding. ATL looked like a ghost town tonight, no flights coming in, no flights heading out. First time I have seen all the runways empty from on top of the concourses. Be sure to check your flight on delta.com and show at the airport a little earlier than normal to make any changes that may be necessary.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.