Orion737
Topic Author

London-Georgetown, Guyana

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:53 am

I find it hard to understand why there isnt a direct flight available from the UK to Guyana, considering the historic/cultural links.

Both KLM and Air France maintain regular links with Paramaribo and Cayenne respectivley.

Demand surely exists for a BA 767 service to Georgetown.

AMS

RE: London-Georgetown, Guyana

Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:54 am

Yes, I can understand what you mean!....I Have many good friends from British Guyana, Georgetown who live in Jamaica Queens, New York.....However There are many flight from JFK to GEO......What is the Guyanese population in the UK?

Regards,
AMS

eta unknown

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:18 am

This has already been covered ad nauseum.

airfrancejfk

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:50 am

Answer is pretty simple, while most of the overseas Guyanese in the United States and Canada are fairly recent immigrations (mass emigration from the 1980's to present), most of those in the U.K. have been there since the 1950's & 1960's, and have little or no family ties back home in Guyana. This is why there are sometimes up to 3 daily flights (BWIA, North American & Universal) between JFK-GEO, and yet only a weekly connection service with BWIA via Barbados or Port of Spain. Supposedly, even the BWIA flight from Port of Spain to London, only carries a handful of passengers originating or terminating in Guyana.

I remember when BOAC used to fly the route, that was back in the early 80's. BWIA flew a few direct flights with the Tri Star to/from London and Georgetown via Port of Spain, but this didn't last long.

keno

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:15 pm

most of those in the U.K. have been there since the 1950's & 1960's, and have little or no family ties back home in Guyana.

Sorry I don't quite agree with you there. I'm assuming that Guyanese population in the UK shares similar history with other Carribean communities you'd find there today. There are still large number of British nationals who return to Jamaica, Trinidad & Antigua each year to see their relatives, many of whom have been living in the UK since the 50s & 60s. If that's the case, surely the Guyanese too would still have plenty of family ties in Guyana?

It's not really fair to compare Guyana with its French and ex-Dutch neighbours. Surinamese population in Holland is massive, while French Guiana is still a French posession (they are a part of EU unlike Tahiti).

Alessandro

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:46 pm

Orion, not a big deal, you can fly to A´dam-Par´bo on a B747 and take a minibus/taxi to N.Nickerie from Par´bo (paved road all the way takes 2-3 hrs),
then ferry to Guyana and then travel onward.
The big question is when the A380 will start to fly on the A´dam-Par´bo route,
definitly a demand there.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

AA B777-200

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:12 pm

Alessandro,

You're VERY optimistic fro AMS-PBM! But I get the point, at least there is a connection via PBM.
When PY still had its own flights into US, I remember them operating a DC8-63 PBM-GEO-JFK. Although the flight originated in PBM, most of the seats were filled when leaving GEO.
BW must be making lots of cash on GEO-POS with all the onward connections possible, either to the Caribbean, US/Canada or Europe.
Maybe, when KLM settles things in the Caribbean they'll re-open former DCA and ALM's GEO-CUR routes.

Avianca

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:26 pm

I also don´t think there is big demand for a London - Georgetown flight.

AF flights to Cayenne are good booked with high yield travellers, as the main station of the ESA is there.

An for PBM as mentioned in the Netherlands are a lot of people of Surinam...

Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Alessandro

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:31 pm

I went on the route last spring and the KLM B747 was crammed, sat next to
a guy that been waiting one week to get a ticket and was really releaved
that he got a ticket. Saw construction taking
place at the Par´bo airport and I´m sure a weekly A380 during peak season could be reasonable, also Paris-Cayenne could have at least one weekly
A380.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

avek00

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:23 am

Poor air service to GEO is not due to a lack of market knowledge - several Western airlines have explored offering service to Guyana, and have come to the same conclusion: the lack of tourism, the need to invest heavy capex to bring GEO up to acceptable standards, and the total absence of premium demand to Guyana renders any potential service uneconomical.
Live life to the fullest.

trintocan

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:13 am

GEO did have flights to LHR back in the day by BA, up to about 1985. I remember seeing the BA 747 there in 1978 when I first visited Guyana. The flight was routed GEO-POS-BGI-ANU-LHR. Nonetheless, given the relatively short runway in GEO the Jumbos were load restricted.

Guyana, though a very scenic country, has a small population and a somewhat limited demand for air services, hence the dominance of BW with its connections via POS to North America and the UK. The Guyanese community in the UK is not particularly large and is certainly not comparable with the Surinamese community in The Netherlands.

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

latinaviation

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 pm

This is why there are sometimes up to 3 daily flights (BWIA, North American & Universal) between JFK-GEO

Well, BWIA does not fly JFK-GEO non-stop. But, yes, there are times when Universal and NAA are both operating JFK-GEO. From what I hear of late, though, is that Universal is not doing very well financially. They have also swapped their 763 for a 757.

hardiwv

Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:42 pm

The big question is when the A380 will start to fly on the A´dam-Par´bo route

This is a joke, right?

During peak seaons it is difficult to find seats on all major destinations. I'm sure that PBM is not in the priority list for any ailrine needless to say deplying the A380...this is a dream...KL does not even sustain a daily flight to PBM! flights are only 3 x week, and you expect a carrier to operate the A380?

Of course, since there is no competition, KL flights to PBM are profitable, but this is a result of a monopoly due to low demand rather than high traffic volumes.

As for GEO, the situation is even more difficult because BA could not even sustain 1 or 2 x week flights LHR-GEO. I think we will continue to see BWIA dominance in GEO for quite some time...

Rgs,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos