HAWK21M
Topic Author

Spotting Locations In India

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:37 pm

Are there any Good Spotting Locations in India.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mrniji

RE: Spotting Locations In India

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:46 pm

Advice I did in BOM: ask the Auto-drivers.. one of them took me free to a wall with nice 'spotting holes'  Big thumbs up - will write than in my trip report (which will still take sometime...)  Big grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

VictorTango

Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:44 pm

one of them took me free to a wall with nice 'spotting holes'

Wow! Subin Wow! didn't know auto-drivers in BOM are that friendly & generous towards aviation fans  Big thumbs up

Awaiting your 'spotting holes' trip report.

Rgds, Olly

B747-437B

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Are there any Good Spotting Locations in India.

The spot that Karan and I found at the runway 27 threshold is among the best spotting locations I have ever seen anywhere in the world, more amazing since it is at Mumbai - a notoriously bad airport for spotting.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Sean Mendis

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Sean Mendis
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Karan Bindra

"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:32 am

Was the location on the Sahar side Hilltop.
regds
MEL

B747-437B

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:07 am

Was the location on the Sahar side Hilltop.

It is close to there but not on the hill itself. Take the road heading from Karan's dad's office towards Kurla until you come across the ILS system for runway 27 approach. Park there and head to the north side of the runway. You have to jump over a bunch of open drains and enter into the jhopadpatti colony. Walk as if you are going to climb the hill (it will involve climbing about 4-5 feet on the hill to the first plateau) and then turn left. You will have to jump over a few more drains but eventually you will come to the spot that is in line with the Bravo 3 and Hotel taxiway intersection. Perfect view, even though it stinks to high heaven with the raw sewage nearby!
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

TheBigOne

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:19 am

Hey Sean

Good to see you back!
Reach for the stars - they are closer than you think!

jr

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:16 am

I have always wanted to do photography at BOM, just never messed with it since India is so hit and miss. I will have to seriously consider it on my next trip back home to india if the spots are reliable and away from security concerns.

I have done some photography at MAA, and BLR. But these airports are very difficult. BLR is pretty much owned by the military and HAL. And the whole airport perimeter at MAA is owned by the indian army as well. I did a bit of spotting/photography at MAA this past dec. Got busted 3 times in 2 days... go figure. Even through photography is supposedly not illegal anymore in India, security mostly interprets it as that being legal only to take pics of your friends and family arriving and leaving and not for taking pics of the airport or planes overall.

Here are a couple of examples from MAA that I got. I'll try and post a few more soon.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Rawlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Rawlin

I've flown on 9V-SPK.

Skyguy

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:36 am

DEL has some good spotting locations, most popular one is on NH8 highway that goes right past the runway. Often you see people parked there and watching flights land right over their heads but once-in-a-while the cops come over and move everyone along.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

karan69

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:47 am

Josh really nice photos, if you do happen to come to mumbai,drop an email.

Mel/Sean any idea from where "Sanjeev Mehta" got/took his recent photos of BOM from

B747-437B

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:51 am

any idea from where "Sanjeev Mehta" got/took his recent photos of BOM from

Isn't Sanjeev Mehta the user SM777 from the forum?

jr

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:30 am

Thanks Karan. A friend of mine just started working for Jet Airways. He is currently in Bangalore, but will be moving to Bombay in a few weeks, so there is a pretty decent chance that I will drop by BOM on my next trip. I'll drop you a note sometime.

Oh, I forgot to mention... there is a decent viewing area at the new international terminal at MAA. Its pretty decent, but I think there is a surveillance camera monitoring the area. Not sure if they restrict photography from there.

Thanks,
Josh
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

IndianGuy

Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:33 pm

Just found an incredible spot yesterday here in PNQ. I went riding with my Enfield gang to a place called Bapdeo Ghat right on the outskirts and WAY WAAY up on a hill!

But the view from there is just incredible! You can clearly see the runway lights of Lohegaon and planes coming in to land fly directly beside the hill we were on before linig up for approach. Incredible!

-Roy

IndianFlyboy

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:02 pm

Skyguy,

The spot you are mentioning , called jumbo point , is no longer in existance. It depends completely on your luck now. Cops will harrass you to no end if they do turn up there , specially if you are photographing.
Used to be one of the best spotting places though. As of now , you can climb any high rise in Vasant Vihar , right on the approach.

Regards

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:25 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sanjeev Mehta
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sanjeev Mehta

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sanjeev Mehta
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sanjeev Mehta

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sanjeev Mehta

Mel/Sean any idea from where "Sanjeev Mehta" got/took his recent photos of BOM from

Karan,they arn't recent,but about 8-9 months old.
Its from the Aft bays at the Domestic terminal,probably from a parked Aircraft.I know a F/O who joined BD by the same name,but I dont think its him.This is a Pax photographer.

I've written to the Photographer,awaiting a revert.

I think just on the WE highway on the Santacruz side gets a good view if one has a good camera.

Roy....Awaiting your Pics.

regds
MEL

VictorTango

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:49 pm

Its from the Aft bays at the Domestic terminal,probably from a parked Aircraft

Mel, it's not shot from the aft bays but from the front bays...

The S2 & Alliance pic is shot from somewhere around bays 6 & 7 (you can read the bay no. on the tarmac in the CRJ pic) - possibly from the Oberoi lounge on the second floor.

The 9W 737 is shot from another aircraft (VT-JNN) parked on bay 1.

Rgds, Olly

TKMCE

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:01 pm

For MAA

Go the the St Thomas Mount Church . It is very close to the runway and in line with it (dont remember now - which end). Views are good, no security hassles (dont know about photography though) and no acrobatics required to reach the place.

To reach the church, from Guindly circle take the Poonamalle Road (do not take the turn to the airport which is where the railway station of the same name is). The church is around 500 metres down the road. There are some fairly steep steps to climb up or you can drive all the way to the top if you use your own vehicle.

Trivandrum - I remember the Veli tourist village has good views.

Hyderabad - Wish I had a telephoto lens! My office terrace has good views on the 09 approach! ((any highrise in Greenlands/Begumpet area would do!).

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:22 pm

Olly your correct on the type error,Just did not realise.
But what I meant was Fwd bay,Typo error.Apoligies.
regds
MEL

jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:24 am

Good point Tkmce. I totally forgot about the mount at MAA. The only problem with the St. Thomas mount is that on most occasions they are taking off that way (I believe that is North West of the runway), and the planes are too high by the time they get there. It is great to observe the ops but not very good if you want to photograph. It is kinda rare to get approaches from here, although I lucked out once while I was there in 1999. Also, the sun is not at the best of angles from this spot if you want to get pictures. But overall its a nice spot. Elevated just enough to where you are above the intense pollution levels of the generic Indian ground level  Wink/being sarcastic . You can actually take a stairs from the church there to the foot of the hill.

Here are a couple of shots from there...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Rawlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Rawlin

I've flown on 9V-SPK.

jaysit

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:25 am

You will have to jump over a few more drains but eventually you will come to the spot that is in line with the Bravo 3 and Hotel taxiway intersection. Perfect view, even though it stinks to high heaven with the raw sewage nearby!

Lovely.

You guys are braver men than most of us will ever be.

Isn't the spotting from that awful restaurant at the old domestic terminal better?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:50 am

I forgot to mention, the best spot on St. Thomas Mount is about a 100 or so metres away from the church. You'll have to follow the road going downhill to a Jesus statue (I believe its a statue of Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsamene). Walk around to the back side of the statue circle... you should have some good views from here. Be careful, you might scare the college lovebirds  Wink/being sarcastic
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

LFutia

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:00 am

WOW!!! Sweet photos from India! Im glad the GoI has permitted photography of planes on Indian Territory!
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:43 pm

WOW!!! Sweet photos from India! Im glad the GoI has permitted photography of planes on Indian Territory!
Only from Inside an Aircraft as a Scheduled pax,and not on Defence Aerodromes  Smile
regds
MEL

karan69

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 am

Roy have you posted your photos yet and what about the ones you previously claimed to have taken at PNQ

IndianGuy

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:40 am

The only photos i have as of now are of a Sahara CRJ and another S2 737 next to each other, and half a dozen King Airs/Taneja P68's taken from the gallery at PNQ. Lousy poor quality pics but will post on the email ids if you want!

aseem

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:29 pm

relative dearth of photos has a lot to do with the concept of security in India. In West nobody objects if you are taking photos out in the open, as long as you are not hiding behind the bushes or tinted glasses of your car. But in India, it's just the reverse.
rgds
Aseem
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:12 pm

But in India, it's just the reverse.
Applies to Aircraft Fleet Acquisation too  Smile

A F/O was telling me yesterday that recently the photography restrictions at Indian Tarmecs have been further reduced,I've not noticed any new circular on the DGCA website though.
Anyone with news.

regds
MEL

aseem

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:56 pm

and it will be ages before it reflects in the attitude of local cops. They just cannot comprehend that a person out in the open with a camera has nothing to hide. The attitude being, "catch whomsoever you can".
rgds
Aseem
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

jr

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:25 am

A F/O was telling me yesterday that recently the photography restrictions at Indian Tarmecs have been further reduced,I've not noticed any new circular on the DGCA website though.

Inspite of these changes, on a recent IC flight, the F/A told me to put my camera away, and give her my batteries... a prime reason for me to avoid them in the future. Ignorance on top of inefficiency.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:45 pm

http://www.dgca.nic.in/aic/aic7_2004.pdf
Jr......You'd need to carry this along in Future  Smile
regds
MEL

jr

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:55 am

Thanks for that Mel. Did not realize a doc like that existed in the public domain.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Josh
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

trvyyz

Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:49 pm

MEL,
Does this new rule mean, photographs cannot be taken outside the airport perimeter?

And which airports are defence?Any links?

And also aren't the CISF incharge of Airport security etc. not the cops. Cops are in state govt. jurisdiction and the other is in centre. How does this work?

Regs

SF

aseem

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:10 am

How does this work?

good question!! not like Wendy's parking lot at YYZ. boy!! had weather not played spoil sport with me.
rgds
Aseem
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

aseem

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:18 am

ORDER
In exercise of the powers conferred by rule 13 of the Aircraft Rules, 1937, the Director General of Civil Aviation hereby permits bonafide passengers traveling in an aircraft engaged in scheduled air transport services to take photographs from inside such an aircraft while in flight and while landing, take off and on ground at civil aerodromes.
This permission is, however, not applicable when such aircraft is landing, taking off or on ground at a defence aerodrome.
Sd/-( Satendra Singh ) Director General

pretty straightforward!!
rgds
Aseem
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

trvyyz

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:25 am

Howz YOW, do any intl. flights come there? I find Fedex Hill as a better place to take pics.
Here also the Peel Police don't spare you all the time. But it's talk only and nothing serious and maybe to display your ID at the most( me not yet).
Been once to Parliament, Gatinaeu, too long a drive, risk of getting tickets and feeding the insurance people.

Regs

SF

mrniji

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:32 am

For sure GOI, S2 announced that when I recently flew out of there.. IXB (Bagdogra), too, probably also BLR?? Anyone a list?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

aseem

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:35 am

SF,
Yes! that FedEx hill is a nice place and I once went there to collect my packet which incidentally was none other than my AC ticket. There was one FedEx B727 packet right across the fence. Not sure if it is the best place to spot.
There aren't any international flight worth the name, but heard Ethiopian flies there due to their expat population. Not aware of any spotting locations, and unwilling to risk on my own. As for Wendy's parking lot, I made myself double sure from Kaz(AirbusfanYYZ) before I tried my luck. Won't really mind if cops ask couple of relevant question.
If you're interested in some general YOW photos, feel free to see my online album, the link is in my profile page.
rgds
Aseem
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

VictorTango

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:39 am

The damn AAI site is down....There is a link on that site which lists all the Indian airports.

Olly

mrniji

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:48 am

There is a link on that site which lists all the Indian airports.

Do the Indian airports now have representative, official websites (like the brilliant website of Kochi a/p)?

Or is it still the crap like http://delhiairport.com, which has never been updated and is probably maintained by some Dishwalla?

trvyyz

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:07 am

There was one FedEx B727 packet right across the fence. Not sure if it is the best place to spot.

Surely it is the best. Excellent views of landing on 05 and dep off 23 and 33L , only you have to be on top of the Hill and not through the fence.

Is this the packet you saw? sorry about the plug.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Santhosh Fernandez

Here's a link on Indian airports classification, seems a bit vague as usual
http://civilaviation.nic.in/aai/airport.htm#CLASSIFICATION

ahlfors

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:10 am

So what's the story with batteries though on board aircraft. Last time I flew out of Trivandrum (in September) they made me take out the batteries from my digital camera... have they stopped this practice too?

aseem

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:12 am

There was one FedEx B727 packet right across the fence. Not sure if it is the best place to spot.

actually it was a spelling mistake on my part, i meant B727 "parked". yes it was a similar plane.
Where exactly is the spot you're taking about? I went to those FedEx buildings. Is this hill somewhere nearby? Any chances of coming to YOW.
rgds
Aseem
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

trvyyz

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:38 am

Where exactly is the spot you're taking about? I went to those FedEx buildings. Is this hill somewhere nearby?
Right where you saw the 727 and the fences, the fence runs through the west side of Fedex plane's parking area along Bramlea road. It is very easy, take Derry Rd. turn at Bramlea road towards the Runways and go straight till the road ends. To your left you can see the fedex plane( my above picture) and to the right is the Fedex Hill. If you look straight you can see the
RWY 05/23.
YOW not any time soon, may be YUL in the summer. Now I am going to India and hope not to be in any trouble for taking pictures.

So what's the story with batteries though on board aircraft. Last time I flew out of Trivandrum (in September) they made me take out the batteries from my digital camera... have they stopped this practice too?
Indian are smart in making rules.
You can take photos inside the plane. But you are not allowed to carry batteries in the cabin.
So what hapened to your batteries? A canon 300D battery costs 130 dollars here.

ahlfors

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:06 am

Well, at TRV airport they have a thing that scans check-in bags before check-in and there they person told me to put all batteries in the check-in bag. So my batteries travelled in the hold.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:54 pm

Does this new rule mean, photographs cannot be taken outside the airport perimeter?
There never was a rule stopping photographs been taken from outside the Airport premises,Its just that when one has parked outside the Airport wall armed with a Camera,the cops get concerned.Ask Karan  Smile

Bangalore
Jaipur
Pune
Goa
To name a few.Will try to chk the links.

And also aren't the CISF incharge of Airport security etc. not the cops. Cops are in state govt. jurisdiction and the other is in centre. How does this work?
Airport Security is handled by CISF,The Cops handle the City.

Personally The Mumbai Cops were better at Security compared to the CISF.
regds
MEL

VictorTango

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:04 pm

Personally The Mumbai Cops were better at Security compared to the CISF.

Not just security, but even when it came to co-operating with airport staff. The Mumbai cops were far better.

Olly

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:57 pm

The best part was the Mumbai cops seemed casual but very alert compared to the CISF staff I've noticed sleeping off on critical posts at Night.
Dont want to generalize,but the cops were better.
regds
MEL

trvyyz

Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks MEL for the info.
Personally, I hate the CISF, I have had some bitter experiences with them at ISRO, Trivandrum, while the Kerala Police would usually let me go(when they check for my Vehicle documents) on seeing my ID( I used to be a GO of Kerala State) without completeing the procedure.