BALandorLivery
Topic Author

What Happens To ATC When A Near Miss Is Reported?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:48 am

If ATC make an error and two aircraft take action to avoid collision as directed by TCAS, what happens to the controller when an air-miss is reported?

Does he/she finish the shift and deal with it after, or does another controller take over?

Any ATC officers out there who can provide info?

Regds

SPREE34

RE: What Happens To ATC When A Near Miss Is Reported?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:27 am

Depends on the situation. TCAS instructions are sometimes issued when ATC has already ensured separation. I saw this one time. Aircraft A climbing to ten thousand, Aircraft B descending to eleven thousand. Both aircraft got a TCAS alert, A to continue climb through B per TCAS instruction, B got TCAS alert to increase descent rate. They passed in the clouds and never saw each other, the targets merged on our RADAR. That's a full digital RADAR, and they were about 10 miles from the antenna. so it was VERY close.

In a situatiuon where ATC has blown it, usually the Controller in question is relieved by another Controller so he/she can participate in the investigation process.

In the US ARTCCs (ACCs) the computer will alert the supervisor if a Controller has less than required separartion, resulting in the above process as well. That device is not in our Terminal Control facilities.

That's the US answer. Hope someone from NATS chimes in as well.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

BR715-A1-30

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:47 am

Anybody ever seen PUSHING TIN... That movie has a fine example on what happens with a near-miss.
Puhdiddle

SPREE34

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:26 am

BR715-A1-30........"Anybody ever seen PUSHING TIN... That movie has a fine example on what happens with a near-miss."

Once again Max, you mouth off about something you know nothing, or little about. "Pushing Tin" is a movie. It's fictitious. It is the usual dose of fast driving, booze, sex, and adrenalin surrounding a mysterious occupation the general public doesn't understand, but is willing to pop the six bucks to see.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:59 pm

Is there a Recording of the Conversation,whats the Duration of the Recording unit.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

N1120A

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:05 pm

>"Pushing Tin" is a movie. It's fictitious. It is the usual dose of fast driving, booze, sex, and adrenalin surrounding a mysterious occupation the general public doesn't understand,<

I know many in the FAA and that movie is apparently the most false recount of ATC possible

>but is willing to pop the six bucks to see.<

Tell me where I can see a first run movie that cheap?

Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

atcrick

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:10 pm

Hawk21m,

Yes, all conversations in all ATC positions are recorded. There are different machines out there that serve as recording devices but alot of them are 24 hours per tape. They are changed everyday and kept for 30 days before being put back on the machine. Alot of times, depending on the incident, shortly after the incident the tape will be removed so it can be reviewed, and a spare tape put on the recording device.

Rgds,

Atc Rick

natch!!