HNL
Topic Author

AA HNL-NRT (Is There An Update?)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:53 am

In October AA cancelled plans to launch the DOT approved service between HNL and NRT because AA was unable to obtain favorable slots at NRT.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1707364
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1703400

Is there an update to this status? Can the 767 with a full load of pax, fuel, and cargo take off from the new short runway at NRT and make it to HNL?

HNL - There's no place like it!

Carpethead

RE: AA HNL-NRT (Is There An Update?)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:17 am

You just answered most of your own questions.
I have to imagine the the flight has to take slight payload restriction off the short-runway as it is only 2,180 meters long and the flight approx. 6 hour eastbound. I am sure AA wants the departure slots from the longer runway, that being the main hold-up.

aaway

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:05 am

AA filed with the DOT to retain the authority to fly HNL-NRT. The DOT did grant AA an extension in while AA works at getting a favorable slot at NRT. The extension comes with a caveat though - AA must start the service by Dec '05, or thus lose the authority.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

N1120A

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

>I have to imagine the the flight has to take slight payload restriction off the short-runway as it is only 2,180 meters long and the flight approx. 6 hour eastbound.<

A 763 on the route would not be a problem. DL takes off from BUR and flies to ATL non-stop from a runway less than 2100m, that slopes uphill and requires noise abatement. The 767 actually has rather good take off performance. Add that to the fact that is can go CDG-LAX unrestricted (12 hours) and there would be no need here.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Bluewave 707

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:57 am

Seems like the short runway @ NRT would be used for landings too. I've seen, and been on a fully loaded 763 take-off from OGG (7000 foot runway). It would be a good guess that a loaded 763 will make it off NRT's short runway, if not they'll be sensible enough to request the main runway.

I, for one, would love to see an AA 763 (or even a 772) in the morning hours @ HNL.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

HNL
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:43 am

What about operating outside the normal rush of Japan flights from Honolulu which depart from 8 to about 2 pm. What about a red eye from Honolulu - one that would get to NRT right at the lift of the curfew (6am??)? What time would that have to depart HNL?

Seems like AA could easily find slots at that time, AND offer an alternative to the UA, JL, JO, NW, CI, and Air Japan flights.

HNL - There's no place like it!