aa777jr

Baltimore Airport To Be Renamed?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:31 pm

Baltimore-Washington International Airport may soon become the Thurgood Marshall Baltimore-Washington International Airport if a bill introduced by a Maryland Democratic lawmaker to honor the former Supreme Court justice passes.

I think that'd be awesome! Comments?

AA777jr

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,145851,00.html
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

DfwRevolution

RE: Baltimore Airport To Be Renamed?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:33 pm

Thurgood Marshall Baltimore-Washington International Airport

Doesn't exactly roll-off the tounge, don't you think?

jm017

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:35 pm

I guess it's okay. but i just know in four years' time they are going to rename it the Thurgood Marshall George W Bush Baltimore Washington International Airport (or Marshall-Bush International for short).
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

aa777jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:35 pm

Not really, but I've done tons of research on Mr Marshall as a student and he deserves it.

FYI, when National was renamed Reagan, they spent about $30,000 replacing signs.

AA777jr

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:37 pm

Fine by me . . . .Good for Justice Marshall. . .

What happened/happens to "Friendship" Airport?

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ERJ170

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:38 pm

Why don't they just go ahead and drop the Washington part.. and name it Thurgood Marshall Baltimore International Airport.. It's not in Washington and it has it's own clientelle.. or perhaps not..
Aiming High and going far..

aa777jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:39 pm

ERJ170,

I bet money it would just be referred to by frequent flyers as Thurgood Marshall International...

Regards,
AA777jr

Newark777

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:43 pm

I guarantee within a few years it will just be called Marshall, and people will totally forget who it is named after. Sort of like BOS.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Or maybe frequent fliers would keep calling it BWI as they do now.

ERJ170

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:44 pm

How about "GoodMar".. or "TMI" or "Crabcake alley".. LOL.

j/k.. although Baltimore does have some good crabcakes!
Aiming High and going far..

AeroWesty

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:46 pm

FYI, when National was renamed Reagan, they spent about $30,000 replacing signs.

From the article you linked:
When Washington National was renamed Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (search), the airport itself spent about $28,000 to change signs, according to Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority spokeswoman Tara Hamilton.

The Virginia Department of Transportation also had to spend about $30,000 on new signs for that change, said spokeswoman Joan Morris.

It cost about $400,000 for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (search), Metro, to change all the names on all the pylons and maps, said spokeswoman Taryn McNeil.

That's a TAD more than 30G's

The article also has a lot of misinformation in it, like:
"It will give Thurgood Marshall international recognition. If I check my bags in Beijing, China, the person ticketing them will see Thurgood Marshall on the ticket."

Since tickets now say "Baltimore-Washington" or just "Baltimore, MD", etc., the likelihood of Marshall's name on the ticket is nil, since BWI doesn't need to be distinguished from other airports in the Washington area by name, just as tickets will say you're flying to "Santa Ana, CA", not to "John Wayne, CA" or "Los Angeles-Wayne, CA", etc.
International Homo of Mystery

boeingfever777

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Sounds great! He is much deserving for something as a airport to be named after him.

Although leave it to WN to look at the negative.

But Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Whitney Eichinger said that any change in the airport code from BWI to a code that included Thurgood Marshall's name would be a major expense for the airline, which is a major operator at the airport. She said that when New Orleans changed the name of its airport to Louis Armstrong (search) the cost was modest because the code did not change.

Typical low cost carrier WN has said this now, god only knows how it will go now.

Re-naming the airport code, how expensive can it get???

This man is a history figure in the United States and the most well known Justice in history.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

MxCtrlr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:49 pm

Call it whatever you want but Atlanta is still "Hartsfield", Miami is still "M-I-A" (not "Wilcox Field" as it is formally named) and Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is still "F-L-L" or "Lauderdale". This will still be "B-W-I".

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

aa777jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:51 pm

Westy,

What I said:

What the article says:

When Washington National was renamed Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (search), the airport itself spent about $28,000 to change signs

I didn't include the entire freaking Baltimore Metroplex. Open your eyes and read dude. I'm not gonna quote the entire article.

Regards,
AA777jr

Newark777

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:53 pm

It will give Thurgood Marshall international recognition. If I check my bags in Beijing, China, the person ticketing them will see Thurgood Marshall on the ticket

Too bad most of the traffic to BWI is domestic. I guess they didn't think of that. BA and AC are the only international carriers I can think of off the top of my head that fly into BWI.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

jm017

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:56 pm

I think it will always be popularly called BWI, even if the name change goes through. Few people will use the new name. However, this is one name change I support whole-heartedly.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

AeroWesty

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:56 pm

I didn't include the entire freaking Baltimore Metroplex. Open your eyes and read dude. I'm not gonna quote the entire article.

Dude! It's misleading to claim the cost of something is $30,000 when the article states it's $458,000 for those affected. You didn't have to quote the entire article. I was clarifying it wasn't as cheap as claimed, since it's traditional in these parts for people not to read what's linked.

'Night  Smile

aa777jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:58 pm

Westy,

Got it, both are insane number for replacing signs. Recentally, Southwest Texas in San Marcos became Texas State at San Marcos...the amounts of money the university spent to rename it all...$$$

Regards.

PanAm747

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:11 pm

First of all, LOVE the idea. I can't say I agree with everything the man had to say, but I always respectfully disagreed. Gotta give it up to the man who argued Brown vs. Board of Education, Topeka.

Second, it's best not to change the code - a SAN-MSP could be Lindbergh Field to Lindbergh Terminal. Or possibly Bradley International Terminal to Bradley Field? Hmmm...any others anyone can think of?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

MQrampBOS

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:04 pm

How about BOS-BIL? Logan Int'l to Logan Int'l.
Don't put me on A7! I got out of the airport, so why send me back?

aa777jr

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:59 pm

How about BOS-BIL? Logan Int'l to Logan Int'l.

clever  Smile

FlyPIJets

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:06 pm

Great idea, Justice Marshall deserves that.

But....

BWI use to be Friendship International - I kind of miss that moniker, it was kind of like Sky Harbor...

Just thoughts, that all.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

SonicKidatBWI

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:30 pm

AeroWesty

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) or METRO as it is more popularly known as around these parts, is the regional MetroRail and MetroBus transit system in the Washington, DC/Maryland/Virginia-area. WMATA incurred those charges in the amount of $400,000+ dollars because they had to change the signage on all of their printed brochures and at the National Airport Station. METRO in fact fought the renaming of the airport to Regan National citing the extreme cost of ordering new name plates and brochures to reflect the new name of the station. So you are wrong when you were trying to prove Joe Nobody wrong. Those numbers depicted for the State of Virginia and whomever else were correct and that's the true cost of what that state had to pay out of pocket. METRO is a transit system entity of it's own and has nothing to due with jurisdiction.

BH

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:31 pm

I dont think they should rename the entire airport. The international pier is dedicated to William Donald Schaeffer and renaming the entire facility will put that in the background. Maybe they should consider the soon to open A-pier after him, Or I think it would be better to name a Court house or other judicial or law related building after him to focus more on what he accomplished I believe that would be more of an honor to him.

toltommy

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 am

In this era of state and federal deficits, is this really a wise expenditure of taxpayer money? Doesn't matter if it's $30000 or $400000, it's still not a necessity. Perhaps we should officially change the name, but I think the folks pushing for this change should find a way to raise the money to replace signage, etc.

PHLBOS

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:33 am

While the airport's name may change, I think most people will still refer to it as BWI; similar to most people still refer to Lehigh Valley International Airport as ABE. I don't think the airport code will change with the name.

When Boston Airport became General Lawrence T. Logan International Airport in the mid '50s, the airport code has remained to this day as BOS.

To my knowledge, the only airport code change that coincided with the name of the airport changing in recent memory was Idlewild to JFK. There could be others that I'm just not aware of.

BTW, the code for Ronald Reagan Washinton National Airport is still DCA and Hartfeld-Jackson Atlanta International Airport code is still ATL.

[Edited 2005-02-01 16:35:30]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

gigneil

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:43 am

I bet money it would just be referred to by frequent flyers as Thurgood Marshall International..

And I bet money not a single frequent flier ever refers to it by that name.

N

toltommy

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 am

I agree, nobody will ever call it Thurgood Marshall International. Heck I just cut and pasted that name, rather than type it.

PHLBOS

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:52 am

Second, it's best not to change the code - a SAN-MSP could be Lindbergh Field to Lindbergh Terminal. Or possibly Bradley International Terminal to Bradley Field?

One possible reason why most travelers, agents and so forth won't refer to LAX as Tom Bradley International Airport is because when one says Bradley, they usually think of BDL over in Windsor Locks, CT.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:53 am

METRO is a transit system entity of it's own and has nothing to due with jurisdiction.

SonicKid:

You know, I really couldn't give a rat's ass who owns what, or which jurisdiction paints what sign.

The figure was stated that it only cost the public $30,000 to implement the changes when the actual figure was $458,000, but then, in these days, misleading people on the cost of doing something is the norm rather than the exception.

Now get off my case.

End.

Lindy

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:03 am

Newark777,

You forgot 3:
Air Jamaica
Icelandair
Aer Lingus (they don't fly to BWI in winter)

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

nycflyer

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:28 am

"How about BOS-BIL? Logan Int'l to Logan Int'l."

How bout this - when flying DCA to IAH you're flying from Reagan to Bush!!

They would never change the 'BWI' code. Why would WN even bring that up? Interestingly, BWI and LAX seem to be the only airports that people refer to by the three-digit code (not counting JFK, cuz that's the guy's initials)

PHLBOS

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:34 am

Interestingly, BWI and LAX seem to be the only airports that people refer to by the three-digit code (not counting JFK, cuz that's the guy's initials)

As I stated earlier, most people still refer to Lehigh Valley International Airport as either Allentown Airport or ABE. The former name of the airport was Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton International Airport. The name change occurred a few years ago.

N1120A

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:43 am

>I guarantee within a few years it will just be called Marshall, and people will totally forget who it is named after. Sort of like BOS.<

It is a little less easy to forget Justice Marshall than it is General Logan. Unless you want schools and places of public accomidation resegregated.

>BWI and LAX seem to be the only airports that people refer to by the three-digit code (not counting JFK, cuz that's the guy's initials)<

People refer to Denver as DIA, which was to be its code before the city realized it would make more sense to keep the DEN code. SFO is also refered to as SFO.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Tom in NO

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:44 am

Although leave it to WN to look at the negative.

But Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Whitney Eichinger said that any change in the airport code from BWI to a code that included Thurgood Marshall's name would be a major expense for the airline, which is a major operator at the airport. She said that when New Orleans changed the name of its airport to Louis Armstrong (search) the cost was modest because the code did not change.

Typical low cost carrier WN has said this now, god only knows how it will go now.

Re-naming the airport code, how expensive can it get???

Changing the airport's 3-letter code is an absolute pain in the rear: the primary problem lies in changing a lot of info in the FAA's database.

Yes, we had thought about changing our MSY designator to something like JAZ or JZY (something to more accurately reflect New Orleans, although MSY is actually quite apropos these days  Big grin ), but the FAA raised quite a big stink over it, so we dropped it.

It would also require numerous changes within individual airlines computer systems.

WN has legitimate concerns about changing codes, but I don't think the FAA's going to go for it in any case.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

N1120A

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:49 am

>WN has legitimate concerns about changing codes, but I don't think the FAA's going to go for it in any case.<

The airport would also have major issues. There is a great deal of expense in changing an airport code, money the City of New Orleans could perhaps spend on paving a road once in a while  Yeah sure. BWI would stay BWI, but would honor a truely great American

IAD777

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:53 am

FYI: Mr. States Rights, Local Control, Anti-Federalism New Gingrich forced district of Columbia tax payers to spend 300k changing the Metro signs from National to Reagan-National!

IAD777
History shall be kind to me; for I intend to write it -WSC

contrails

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:07 am

I am generally opposed to naming airports, buildings, highways, etc. after the dead, and this case is no exception.

How about changing the name back to what it was when President Truman dedicated it, Friendship Airport?
Flying Colors Forever!

JGPH1A

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:21 am

Who was Thurgood Marshall ?

I'm sure it's a nice idea, but airport name changes rarely 'take' in this day and age. Look at Newark "Liberty" - to 99.9% of the known universe still just calls it "Newark" - even Johannesburg "International" is referred to by quite a proportion of the country as "Smuts" still.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jetblast

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:23 am

I like the name but it seems a little long. Maybe they could just rename one of the terminals the Thurgood Marshall terminal?
I for one like Friendship Intl, it just sounds nice. I just don't want to lose our airport code of BWI; not many airports have their airport code as the abbreviation of the airport's name.

Regards
JetBlast @ BWI  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Speedbird Concorde One

7e72004

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:23 am

It will always be known as "baltimore/washington international airport." When i refer to atlanta...i refer to atlanta...washington...i refer to National (for reagan national)...etc...
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

727LOVER

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:27 am

One possible reason why most travelers, agents and so forth won't refer to LAX as Tom Bradley International Airport is because when one says Bradley, they usually think of BDL over in Windsor Locks, CT.

The airport is named Los Angeles International Airport. The international terminal is named after Tom Bradley...take a look.  Smile

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Carter

Does anyone refer to EWR as Liberty???
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:40 am

FYI: Mr. States Rights, Local Control, Anti-Federalism Newt Gingrich forced district of Columbia tax payers to spend 300k ...

LOL, that's brilliant. But then of course, D.C. isn't a state, so there's little danger he'd receive any backlash.

Cheers.

leelaw

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:41 am

Why did Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) or METRO need to spend $458K to change all the signage throughout the system when Pres. Reagan's name was added. Sounds like a porkbarrel project to me. Did they ever hear of stickers?

Here in Chicago, the home of the porkbarrel, transit signs are modified with stickers frequently and it works quite well.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

7e72004

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:42 am

I hope that they do not "rename" IND; that is like renaming Deer Creek (outdoor amphitheatre) Verizon Wireless Music Center...i still refer to it as Deer Creek...
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

USairways16BWI

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:42 am

ok thats cool. ill always call it BWI..my home airport.  Smile

aa777jr

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:05 am

Would be the third DC Metroplex aiport renamed...Reagan and Dulles were both renamed.

N1120A

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:08 am

>Sounds like a porkbarrel project to me.<

Actually, it was more like political idiocy. Also pissed off the entire FAA

>Did they ever hear of stickers?<

Those end up being more expensive

aa777jr

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:10 am

Why is this such a bad thing? Was their this much negative feedback when IAH got renamed Bush International? Just curious...Thanks.

gigneil

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:10 am

Would be the third DC Metroplex aiport renamed...Reagan and Dulles were both renamed.

Dulles has been named Washington Dulles International Airport since the 60s.

N