ktachiya

Who Talks To ATC? PIC Or On The Right Seat?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:06 pm

It has been strange because according to what I read, the PIC (Pilot in control) mainly conducts the ac functions so controlling while the pilot on the right side (usually) talks to the ATC.

However, I've seen this a few times on CX or KE but the PIC and the one talking changed.

For instance this is some conversation that I heard:

ATC: Korean xxx taxi into position and hold
KE: Korean xxx taxi into position and hold
ATC: Korean xxx cleared for take-off
KE:Cleared for take off Korean xxx

And the the plane is airborne

Then on the departure frequency, the pilot changes all of a sudden and says Korean xxx passing 1500 for 16000.

It was an obvious change because the pilot before take-off was Korean while the pilot after take-off was probably Caucasian based on the English I heard. The same thing happened on CX. They were approaching and it was a British pilot, and then when they were cleared to land, they were American. So does this swip-swap with pilots happen frequently?
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

AirWillie6475

RE: Who Talks To ATC? PIC Or On The Right Seat?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:19 pm

I have seen this before and the swapping occurs during take-off or landing. For example, in the Korean example the initial contact with tower was made by the first officer, and after they were cleard for take off the first officer received control of the airplane and he was flying the take off roll. That is why once airborne another voice, of the captain, was heard.

In the landing example when they were cleard to land they probably switched the controls and the one not flying was American.

fxra

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:22 pm

ONe pilot (being the PIC or F/O) flys the plane, the other (non flying pilot) does the radio work. The companies i have worked for, they usually alternate legs. Its not designated all the time to one or the other.

JD
Visualize Whirled Peas

10mid

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:34 am

Most planes have the tiller on the left side, so the Captain will do the taxiing and the FO the talking on the ground.

In the air, whoever the non-flying pilot is will do the talking.

So in the Korean example, the FO was talking while the CA was taxiing. Then since it was the FO's leg, the FO took the controls and the CA took over the communications.

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:37 pm

I think Any of the Two can.Its decided prior to startup.Although in flight if one is preoccoupied the other could.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)