airevents

Finding Out About Route Potential

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Good morning,

let´s pretend I want to set up an airline. How do I find out about route potential, passenger numbers already travelling on a certain route via other airports, yield etc ?

Thanks for any info !

Sebastian
www.airevents.com

ERJ170

RE: Finding Out About Route Potential

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:19 pm

As far as my opinion goes, I would have to say.. hire an airline consultant who will gather all that information for you.
Aiming High and going far..

GLAGAZ

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:35 pm

In the UK you get all the passenger number figures from

For example no GLA-MUC service exists but you can still see the pax travelling between to 2 cities via an English airport.

So I'd see if you can access the German aviation authorites website for passengers numbers.
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

geoffm

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:13 pm

Presumably where such figures fall down is where flights aren't "connecting". For example, if I was to travel Ryanair to Dublin from Bristol, then Aer Lingus Dublin to (random place) Frankfurt, that wouldn't show up because the two airlines don't have an agreement ("interline"?).

Sometimes you can extrapolate figures. For example, for BRS to EWR, CO had no real existing data to work on as no airline flies that route. So based on the number of people from the west country (the BRS catchment area) who travel via Heathrow to New York, you can estimate that perhaps 10% of those would switch to a local flight from a local airport.

So in reality, all you're going to get is a ballpark figure which could vary by 50% or more. Perhaps more accurate if that route is served directly or indirectly by other airlines.

Geoff M.

airevents

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:14 pm

The region of interest would be the Gulf and Africa, any ideas there ? Thanks !
www.airevents.com

odafz

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:22 pm

Some centuries ago, when hell was frozen I made a summer internship at MEA (Middle east Airlines AirLiban). One of my (many) questions is how to assess the potential of a line. The manager of route development told me that there were many indicators :
1- Number of visas delivered between the 2 countries.
2-Expatriate population living in the 2 countries
3-Foreign investments made by either of 2 countries (business travel , cargo)
4-Passengers connecting at intermediate airport to .

All these information are made available through info from embassies and consulates and do not forget that in Africa, Gulf and Middle East passengers are still requested to fill in a disembark card with all appropriate information ( country of residence for ex, purpose of travel etc...)

Hope I have been of some assistance to you

PVD757

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:48 pm

<http://www.faremeasure.com> shows O & D pax numbers for most larger US markets and <http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/index.html> is the site for the US DOT passenger traffic statistics via the Bureau of Transportation statistics...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos