Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

srbmod
Topic Author

CX Cargo To Start HKG-ATL Flights.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:37 am

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2005/01/31/daily46.html?jst=cn_cn_lk

Three times a week service starting in the fall. Rumors are now circulating (and implied in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today in their article on this) that if the cargo flights are successful that CX may start HKG-ATL service.

LAXintl

RE: CX Cargo To Start HKG-ATL Flights.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:55 am

The South East region has been developing nicely lately cargo wise, with Atlanta capturing the bulk of these services.

I'm not too sure Cathay could run successful passenger flights to Atlanta however. ATL is an entrenched hub of Delta whom is a member of Skyteam. Cathay would be hard pressed to get connecting traffic.

It would be more likely so see Cathay serve an American Airlines hub city like Chicago first.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:47 am

CX may start HKG-ATL service.

Firstly, CX doesn't have an aircraft that can fly ATL-HKG with any profit-potential payload levels whatsoever.

Secondly, why would CX fly to a competitor's superhub, ergo offering little connectivity/feed, in a marginal market for Asian O&D?

Avianca

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:53 am

great to see another cargo carrier coming to ATL.

ATL is a very big cargo airport, not the biggest hub (ok only in the Carolinas) but with big demand for finaldestination cargo.

cargoflights from europe to atl are very good booked. the big part of the capacities is sold as BLOCK SPACE AGREEMENTS.

regards
Avianca

CX Flyboy

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:27 am

We are expecting several new freighters to join the fleet in the coming years, so expect to see more new destinations and increased frequency on many routes.

Frostbite

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:17 pm

So CX will join other Asians JL, KE, CI, and BR at ATL...the ATL-Asia cargo market has shown some impressive growth over the last 5 years or so since the south cargo terminal was constructed (granted JL only ramped up cargo service when they yanked pax service).
Curious to see if remaining major cargo players such as SQ and NCA will follow suit.
Just my speculation, but construction of the 4th module at S cargo will probably have to begin soon to accomodate demand. Amazing the changes occuring on the S side of ATL.

If only I could nonrev on ATL-bound freighters out of ANC to get home...

n757kw

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:20 am

Just what we need here, more capacity to Asia. Inbound flights are full, but outbound are much harder to fill. I was at the announcement made at the airport, unfortunately, the City of Atlanta held it in the former Equine Center, so I did not hear what any of the speakers said.

As to the other building being built at South Cargo. I have heard lots of rumors, but I suspect it will not get built for several more years. ATL's cargo facilities are poorly planned and cargo has been mainly an afterthought to the airport until recently.

It would be nice to see more passenger flights to Asia, but it looks like ATL will only have the daily flight to NRT (DL), and the 5 times a week flight to ICN (KE). The KE flight to ICN will go daily on 30APR.

N757KW

jakob77

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:39 am

The geographic location of ATL makes it difficult for non-stop flights between ATL and most Asian cities unless a 345 or 772LR is utilized. Currently for Asian carriers only SQ has taken delivery of the 345. Any other airline offering ATL service would most likely require a refueling stop somewhere.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:52 am

Currently for Asian carriers only SQ has taken delivery of the 345

Not true.

lest you forget who launched the A345 into service?

Frostbite

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:04 am

Regardless of aircraft range issues, it is hard to envision any Asian carrier launching pax services to ATL unless they fall under the DL/Skyteam codeshare umbrella. The list of "international carriers which formerly served ATL" is a laundry list of carriers which either had no codeshare relationship with DL, or pulled out after cessation of a codeshare relationship (JL the Asian example). CI would seem the most likely candidate given their new codeshare relationship with DL and CO, but since they already began IAH service, they may find an ATL route redundant.

It is possible that the 787 will make ATL a more viable market for Asian pax services in the future.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:50 am

CI would seem the most likely candidate given their new codeshare relationship with DL and CO, but since they already began IAH service, they may find an ATL route redundant.

CO's Taiwanese partner is BR, not CI

Frostbite

Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:12 am

ConcordeBoy,

Indeed, I stand corrected! Given DL's new codeshare ties with both CI and CO...I mistakenly assumed CI & CO were dancing partners too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos