FATFlyer
Topic Author

Horizon To Start ACV & RDD To LAX

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:18 am

Horizon will add flights to Arcata/Eureka and Redding from LAX on April 25. Service will be 2 flights a day using the Q400 on looping routings. ACV and RDD each get 1 LAX non-stop and 1 LAX one-stop.

Flights are supported by a $500,000 grant received from the Small Community Air Service Development program.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050207/75989_1.html
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

wedgetail737

RE: Horizon To Start ACV & RDD To LAX

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:54 am

I'm sure it'll be a treat to fly on one of the Horizon Q400. They're a blast. And it sure beats having to connect in SFO.

AirlineBrat

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:42 pm

I live here in Arcata. Horizon Air has been flying the Q400's into ACV and RDD for almost 2 years now. They are way quieter than the Q200's and have a generous 36" of legroom. They also offer free microbrew and wine as part of the beverage service. I usually fly Horizon from ACV up to PDX and SEA. Horizon is hands down the best airline I have flown on in the US and their flight crews are excellent. These LA flights are going to be a godsend to the folks around here and the Redding community as well. We are isolated here on the Humboldt County coast. Fog can be a hassle since the edge of the runway is near Clam Beach. United Express flies mostly EMB 120's to SFO except for one CRJ that they run on the busiest flight. They also fly twice a day to SMF. United usually charges an arm and a leg ($250 rt) to SFO. Although the United Express employees here at ACV are great, United does not treat this market with much respect and the product is often inconsistent.

Horizon said that tickets will be $69 each way for the two months then go up to $99 afterward. If they can keep the airfares down around $99 ow/$200 rt they should be able to keep the flights pretty full. There are alot of Humboldt State University students from SoCal. These flights also add a new option to Mexico, Hawaii, and points east. This should make it easy for me to visit family in the New York area since there are so many flights out of LAX.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

EA CO AS

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Be sure to spread the word to anyone who could or would use QX to/from ACV and RDD - they're intent on hitting these new markets hard to make them profitable VERY quickly, instead of letting them generate on a slower timeframe.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

copaair737

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:28 pm

I'm up here in Eureka, and I will definitely try to use the new flights when they come online. Maybe ACV-LAX-FAT. Good price on the LAX n/s, maybe I'll take advantage of it. Good news for the airport up here though.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

N1120A

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:16 pm

>Be sure to spread the word to anyone who could or would use QX to/from ACV and RDD - they're intent on hitting these new markets hard to make them profitable VERY quickly, instead of letting them generate on a slower timeframe.<

Well, given the million they are getting to run the routes and the just plain sick economics of the Q400, profit will not be an issue
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:08 am

profit will not be an issue

Trust me, profit is always an issue.  Smile

WN is taking on these routes to draw traffic off WN's SMF-LAX service and UA's service (via SFO or SMF).

Initial QX ACV/RDD-LAX fares:

walkup $199.00
3 day $159.00
7 day $129.00
14 day $99.00
Sales $69/$79
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group