tinpusher007

Portable Electronic Devices Safe At 10,000ft?

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:55 am

Why is it that F/A's tell you that it is safe to use PED's only once the a/c has reached 10,000ft? A friend of mine who is an airline pilot told me that there is no particular rhyme or reason and that the pilots are just told to ding the seatbelt sign three times to alert the F/A's. Can anyone shed some light on this?
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Newark777

RE: Portable Electronic Devices Safe At 10,000ft?

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:11 am

Maybe because landing and takeoff are very sensitive times of the flight, and any errors can turn disastrous. Above 10,000, you have a bit of a buffer to work with, since you aren't as close to the ground. Just my theory.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

VEEREF

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:29 am

Probably mostly an arbitrary altitude, generally reached only a few moments after takeoff by most aircraft. As far as making a difference in the way the aircraft performs, probably none. What is important however particularly during takeoff is not interference with navigation etc. but the potential level of distraction during a potential aborted takeoff/ fire when the crew needs everyone's undivided attention should a timely evacuation be required.

My guess is that below 10,000ft, an emergency return to the airport is possible and it won't take long, so preparation need to be quick, again requiring some attention during that critical phase.

Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

planespotting

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:55 pm

don't start flaming me on this........but yeah i usually ignore that order. I usually turn my iPod back on when the F/A sits down and leave the ear phone in the side that faces away from the aisle. i've taken off in the 172 with the music blasting in my ears during the roll with me at the controls, thats fuckin fun. flying into MDW at night in a 172 with a sound track is great.

(yes my headset has audio cut out anytime there is an ATC transmission).
Do you like movies about gladiators?

CORULEZ05

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:21 pm

speaking of electronic devices.....why is it that people can film take-offs and landings and that not be a problem?.....don't get me wrong, I LOVE those vids but I have always wondered how that is ok....I'm sure they hide the equipment but still....how is that ok?

P.S.
flightlevel350.com rules for those vids!
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

ckfred

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:34 pm

A friend of mine who flies for AA told me an interesting story. Back when AA flew ORD-MUC, a 767 was below 10,000 feet and getting into the arrival pattern.

For no good reason, the insturments went from showing a descent at 3 degrees to climbing at 10 degrees, while inverted!

The captain got an F/A on the intercom and told her to get every portable electronic device shut off immediately. The F/As found several kids in Business class playing with GameBoys, and told them to turn them off and put them away.

Sure enough, the instruments in the cockpit went back to show the descent, with the plane right side up.

This incident is what got AA to start requesting that all electronic devices be shut off below 10,000 feet.

I look at this way. If the pilots feel that they have a higher margin of safety when all electronic devices are shut off, I am more than willing to cooperate. There is no such thing as too much safety.

tinpusher007

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:29 pm

So would they have the same eroneous readings above 10,000?
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."