juventus

A Real Pain In The Neck. No More Pillows On AA.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:40 pm

No more pillows on American, not even First Class. Now, I've seen everything.

rootsair

RE: A Real Pain In The Neck. No More Pillows On AA.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:43 pm

They don't have money to buy them .a pillow costs around 15 $. mulitiply that by the whole amount of seats in AA's whole fleet and it become expensive....but no pillows for first class... OMG

[Edited 2005-02-09 13:44:14]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

juventus

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:51 pm

Actually according to CNN, they pay more to clean them. But what about service? They will be the only major doing without them (I think)

Bicoastal

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Yes, and I'm sure you extensively searched the Internet for your bargain basement airfare, upgraded on credit card points and are now are expecting all the perks from a cash strapped airline.

Well, maybe not you, but in truth that's what the airlines are facing. No, you have not seen it all, yet.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

FA4B6

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:55 pm

why cant one just bring their own? you know its clean, its probably better, and you can take it with you!
"Leap! And the net will appear."

brian_ga

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:04 pm

The information I read said that pulling the pillows on domestic services only but not on the trans-com and Hawaii flight. The savings will be $375,000 USD per year. Does not seem like much but every dollar counts now days.

Brian_ga  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

B707Stu

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:06 pm

For the progressives - you can purchase a very comfortable "U" shaped neck pillow at any airport for about $15. I find them better than aircraft pillows, easy to pack (they scruntch up) and easy to sleep on. Added benefit is the envy you inspire from other passengers.
B707

juventus

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:08 pm

I like that, good one B707

miaskies

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:11 pm

I doubt they will remove pillows from First Class Seats....from Coach more than likely. They had stated they would remove them from their Super 80's a while back.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

brian_ga

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 pm

I bet you will see more US carriers following suit in the near future. Like B707 said, the blow up "U" pillows are much more comfortable.

Brian_ga  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

COAMiG29

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:18 pm

whats next? no more barf bags and lavs?

the plane you are flying on is not equipped with barf bags or restrooms, if you feel the urgent need to go please use this plastic sack, remember all barf and excrement must be stored under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin, we'd like to thank you again for having the compassion to fly AA
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

PyroGX41487

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:23 pm

... This is why I switched to jetBlue for domestic travel. If they're going to make cuts anywhere, it shouldn't be in passenger comfort. Ugh... What's next? Complete removal of the seats? Crates to sit on? Trading in all their planes for the freighter version and strapping pax to the walls?

It's 8 in the morning in my part of the world. I'm prone to exaggeration .__.

COAMiG29

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:21 am

no they would never do that they are too cheap, then will put the pax in the cargo hold and put the luggage in the seats.
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

JAFA

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:21 am

Sorry to break up your pity party. Doesn't AA have adjustable head rests on most of thier seats anyway? The annoucement said they would be removed from MD80's, 737, and 757. (If I am not mistaken). So that doesn't include 767, 777, and A300 flights.

NYCAAer

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:28 am

The A300s will also see pillows removed. Pillows will remain on 767s used for international, transcon, and Hawaii flights, and all 777s.

AA has also eliminated special meals on all domestic, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean flights. Special meals can still be ordered on all international flights and in First and Business Class on transcons.

N1120A

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:34 am

>Not even glasses anymore, and no pillows?? The A380 will change all that shite<

How will an airplane change that? This is about service levels, not aircraft type. Add into that that AA will never, ever fly the A380 and you have an even more moot point.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

srbmod

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:53 am

For the progressives - you can purchase a very comfortable "U" shaped neck pillow at any airport for about $15.

You can buy them at any of the HMS Host newsstands @ ATL for $12.99 for 1, 2 for $20.

I'd rather have my own pillow anyway, because no telling what's hanging on those pillows. IIRC, Dateline NBC or one of the other investigations shows did some tests on "clean" pillows and blankets on a/c and found that many of them had been folded and repackaged as if they had been cleaned.

Pillows and blankets are on the way out for domestic flights as more and more nickel and dime items are removed from flights. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years airlines actually started charging for nonalcoholic drinks. What's next, you have to buy the cup you drink out of?

777STL

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:17 am

Doesn't bother me, I'm not a germophobe and even I won't touch those nasty ass pillows. Who knows who was drooling on those things during the previous flight.

You guys overreact a bit, it's not the end of the world. Y'all act like someone just broke your heart or something. Gah.

PHX based

kbmiflyer

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:39 am

This particular item doesn't bother me. I don't really like the pillows, and they seem to be in the way when they are put in my seat before a flight. Like has already been mentioned, the build in head rest on most AA flights are quite nice.

However, the "nickel & diming" that AA continues to do is getting frustrating. I understand that they are struggling and losing money, but I think they are ignoring the fact that the savings for some of the recent initiatives (loss of MRTC, buy on board, increased use of MD-80's out of ORD on long flights, no pillows, no blankets, $5 to book tickets through phone number (even for vouchers)) is going to result in lost revenue from passengers who will start shopping or leave them all together.

I don't know what the solution to AA's cash crunch is, I just don't think this is they right one.

aa777223er

Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:29 am

AA is NOT removing blankets on any aircraft, only pillows. Maybe when people are willing to start paying ticket prices that actually cover what it cost to operate the aircraft, the amenities will come back. Until then, better that the pillows go away than the employees having to take another pay cut  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards,

AA777223ER
time flies, seize the day

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:20 am

Maybe they think they'll save fuel  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

But seriously, I wonder if one of the reasons is the time it could possibly save when boarding the aircraft. With no pillows in the overheads, the flight attendants won't need to spend time passing out the pillows to make room for luggage....

MSYtristar

Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:30 am

And just think, AA promotes itself by saying "get a lot more airline" on its tv commercials. Removing pillows is an example of getting a lot more airline? More like "get a typical in-flight experience that is not differentiated much from the LCC's". False advertising in my opinion. Sure AA has First Class, but its coach product is not too great....pretty much on par with everyone else, nothing special. Originality in the product being offered is quickly becoming extinct in the American aviation marketplace.

travellin'man

Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:43 am

Introducing...."MDTC!!"

Stands for "More Discomfort Throughout Coach"

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

jaysit

Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:53 am

Maybe when people are willing to start paying ticket prices that actually cover what it cost to operate the aircraft, the amenities will come back.

Or until then we'll just fly JetBlue when we can.

Low prices AND amenities.

I suggest that if they want to save money, they start hacking at the salaries of board members and those at the top. Savings of $ 375,000 would be easy.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

fspilot747

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:10 am

People actually use those?

TACAA320

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:40 am

"Sure AA has First Class, but its coach product is not too great....pretty much on par with everyone else, nothing special"

It's coach product is not too great? Your right. It simply sucks...

And this "pillow thread" was already discussed some weeks ago.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Airlinerfreak

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:45 am

Does WN have pillows? Not that I have seen. Also AA has the money, they just want to save it so they can be the successor in the long-run. Also AA's First Class product is great regardless of pillows especially on Trans Cons, but that is besides the point. I think that if AA wants to survive they are doing the right thing.

citjet

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:49 am

Not only does AA have to pay for the pillows, new covers, maybe cleaning them (never heard of that, they just toss them in the garbage), but you have to pay people to do all that work. This sounds like the person in charge of cabin service putting in his/her two cents on how to save his own JOB! Wad up your jacked, buy a pillow or something. Ive worked for the airlines and had to also help clean the cabin. Trust me.....those blankets and pillows are SICK!

TACAA320

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:52 am

"Also AA's First Class product is great regardless of pillows especially on Trans Cons, but that is besides the point."

Great? Compared to which one?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

airgeek12

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:55 am

I don't think it's as much as $15 usd for a pillow! but mabe somewhere near that.

i do think it is absord though!.. maybe econ/coach i can understand.. but first?!?!?! **sees passengers run to other airline's ticket counter, ditching AA**

jacobin777

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:07 am

Man...I have a hard time using even the blankets.........who knows WHAT germs get into those pillows.............when I board a plane, I ALWAYS make sure I have a bottle of Purel with me to eliminate germs.......

there are lots of kids with the flu, cold, etc. who fly who drool (I guess some adults too) on those pillows, not to mention all the grease, activator (lol) and gel on those pillows and people going to the restroom and NOT washing their hands....especially men, but I'm a germaphobe, so I make sure I was my hands even AFTER opening the restroom door ( its easy, stick my foot out and keep it open)...also, don't be surprised if people sit on those pillows and pass gas on it (sounds sick,but I wouldn't be surprised if people did it).

just look at how dirty and greasy some windows occasionally are, so think about how bad those pillows really are...

Also, notice how quickly people get sick in the airplane..thats because its a closed container and everyone is very close to eachother, so its easy to spread germs....

AA....do us a favour, and DO NOT bring 'em back...YUK!
"Up the Irons!"

TACAA320

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:14 pm

"AA....do us a favour, and DO NOT bring 'em back...YUK"

Don't worry. They will not [at least soon, when they have money to do so].

4jaded

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:26 pm

American Aviation is dropping to the lowest common denominator. It is truely a bus ride in the sky. I can not believe that anyone here would actually blame the customers for not paying enough for the seats. Who sets the prices? Certainly not the customers or we would all just throw our 1.25 in quarters into the toll machine when we boarded and bring our own everything. Those precious coach pillows cost about 4 or 5 dollars when new and the disposable covers cost about 4 cents each. The pillows if properly cared for have a life expectency of about 2 years and I know some that have lasted longer. All tolled the pillows cost AA about 9 bucks per flight max. Spread that out over 120 passengers and it is a matter of pennies. It is a small savings with a big impact on the carriers image. The CNN coverage alone will probably drive that much leasure business into the arms of JetBlue alone in the next week. So much for the 375,000 dollars in savings. A stupid move at a stupid time.

DHLSAN

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:28 pm

Why worry about them removing dirty pillows that people with lice and other things have used. I remember something a few years ago that tests on airline pillows not only showed lice, but sperm and fecal matter. I'll bring my own.
Yellow?

alb222

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:53 pm

No pillows=money saved=superbowl ad  Yeah sure

TACAA320

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:00 pm

"Why worry about them removing dirty pillows that people with lice and other things have used. I remember something a few years ago that tests on airline pillows not only showed lice, but sperm and fecal matter. I'll bring my own."

Great excuse. Can't find a better one...

Why only AA pillows has lice and some other disgusting things? Not AF, not SQ, not LA... Just AA.

Thrust

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:06 pm

Next AA will be removing the PTVs from their aircraft at this rate  Nuts
Fly one thing; Fly it well

DHLSAN

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:12 pm

TACAA320

"Why worry about them removing dirty pillows that people with lice and other things have used. I remember something a few years ago that tests on airline pillows not only showed lice, but sperm and fecal matter. I'll bring my own."

Had nothing with AA, did I mention AA? No. It was a test on airline pillows in general on the local news here in SAN. It started as tests on restaurants, then led to shopping carts, payphones, and eventually airplanes. I said tests on airline pillows, not AA pillows. If I wanted to bash AA, I would have said "AA pillows". Please don't jump to conclusions to protect AA when I haven't mentioned AA.

Yellow?

AA767400

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:18 pm

TACA320, Get over it! Shall we run down TA amenities on-board? Like charging for food? All freaking pillows on any airline are dirty and nasty. Do you ever have anything positive to say about any airline? I really don't care that you don't like X airline, compared to the other. But you really sound like a tired broken record. Yes, we know you hate AA, heard you loud and freaking clear!

AA is not taking pillows off first class, and the original poster should look into things before posting. It is not the end of the world, you still get your headrest wings that are ajustable, SO you can rest your head.
"The low fares airline."

FLY2LIM

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:36 pm

A bunch of aviation and financial experts. Maybe you all need to go work for AA.
American Airlines lost hundreds of millions, and they are one of the airlines that did "best". One thing I like about them is that they are usually the trailblazer when it comes to saving money. Has everyone forgotten Bob Crandall's $400,000 olives?
Yes, they are taking away all the "frills". Southwest has no frills and everyone raves about them. Jet Blue has IFE but not much else (no, I am not putting down either WN or B6, just comparing). Maybe AA is looking at its long term survival and trying to copy the LCC structure to be competitive. No, they probably will never be a LCC, but they can be a very efficient legacy.
Watch this, with oil prices dropping and increased traffic due to fare sales, they may report a profit one of these days. I can see all the "nay sayers" jumping on the bandwagon and declaring that they had predicted this due to the excellent managerial strategies.
Give me a break. They are an airline in financial crisis and they need to make changes.
By the way, I hear that IBM is looking for a CEO because the last one couldn't help the "bottom line". Sound familiar?
And yes, those pillows were very, very dirty most of the time.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

777STL

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:46 pm

"A bunch of aviation and financial experts."

Of course! This a.net, we have the finest selection of 14 year olds who can run billion dollar airlines in the world!

"The CNN coverage alone will probably drive that much leasure business into the arms of JetBlue alone in the next week. So much for the 375,000 dollars in savings. A stupid move at a stupid time."

Uhh yeah because we all know people choose which airline they travel on based on the availibility of pillows! Right.
PHX based

174thfwff

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:51 pm

Good. I hate those dirty things. Why keep throwing money out the window when they don't have to? If you feel the need to bring a pillow, I know Target sells ones you can blow up yourself, or go to a camping store and buy a smaller, camping sized one. They are inexpensive and at least clean.

I say wise move AA, as right now these guys have to do everything they can.

-174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

jacobin777

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:47 pm

If AA REALLY wants to save money (yes, I'm bashing AA, even though I am soon to be an Executive Platinum member and fly 90% of my flights with them), they should STOP flying 763s and 757's from ORD-SFO with only 30-40 PAX...and this happens A LOT....I should know, I've been on a BUNCH of those flights....!!!  Yeah sure
"Up the Irons!"

FLY2LIM

Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:20 pm

If AA REALLY wants to save money (yes, I'm bashing AA, even though I am soon to be an Executive Platinum member and fly 90% of my flights with them), they should STOP flying 763s and 757's from ORD-SFO with only 30-40 PAX...and this happens A LOT....I should know, I've been on a BUNCH of those flights....!!!

Jacob:
You may know I'm a big AA fan, but I hardly think that's "bashing". I've seen those flights and agree with you.

Uhh yeah because we all know people choose which airline they travel on based on the availibility of pillows! Right.

777STL:
Right on! You said it perfectly.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

AussieItaliano

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:57 pm

Pillows????

This is the least of my concerns with AA. Charging for meals on Hawaii flights from ORD just seems a bit absurd to me. I can see charging for meals on flights less than 4 hours, but once you have a transcon or Hawaii flight, I think this is where you draw the line.

And no, I'm not saying that they should have to do what QF does and serve a full meal on a 1 hour flight.

Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

VHXLR8

Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 pm

Service standards aside, is there no safety requirement in the USA as to the number of pillows and blankets carried on an aircraft?

Qantasclub

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:00 pm

AA is a CRAP airline. That's it.
There's no use beating around the bush about it, no use making excuses, etc etc. They have cut virtually ALL aspects of their service and product to the bare minimum, to the extent that even low cost carriers offer a much better inflight experience. I have flown them on several occasions as part of a Oneworld round the world ticket, NOT by choice and they have been deteriorating every single time. These people don't care about their passengers.

This will sound harsh, but they deserve to go under and I hope they do to make room for better airline.

Long Haul is the only way to go

TACAA320

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:28 pm

"Shall we run down TA amenities on-board? Like charging for food? All freaking pillows on any airline are dirty and nasty. Do you ever have anything positive to say about any airline? I really don't care that you don't like X airline, compared to the other. But you really sound like a tired broken record. Yes, we know you hate AA, heard you loud and freaking clear!

AA is not taking pillows off first class, and the original poster should look into things before posting. It is not the end of the world, you still get your headrest wings that are ajustable, SO you can rest your head."

AA767400

People from BA, AF, SQ, even CO [among many others], would not agree with you. They clean [or simply change] their pillows and put them in a plastic bag.

As Quantasclub said [reply 46] "AA is a CRAP airline".

TACAA320

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:52 pm

"Like charging for food?"

Like AA does in flights to Hawaii...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I really don't care that you don't like X airline, compared to the other. But you really sound like a tired broken record."

I also don't care about your silly defense of AA service [that sounds as a broken record TOO].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yes, we know you hate AA, heard you loud and freaking clear!"

And you will continue hearing that loud and freaking clear!

a300aa

Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:55 am

That's really what they have to do.
Remove all those things that people really don't care about it.
People wants to get from point A to point B, on a cheaper fare, and that's what they are getting.
Good for AA. the other majors will follow them in less then 3 months.