goinv

Turning Up "On-Speck"?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:58 am

I have heard stories (rumours) whereby people have turned up at an airport - without pre-booking and have managed to get fantastic (literally) last minute deals for flights.

Is this true?

Does anyone have any stories or personal experiences of this?
Be who you are, The world was made to measure for your smile. So Smile.

starrion

RE: Turning Up "On-Speck"?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:42 am

I've done this and the one term that describes it is BOHICA. The technical term is full-fare walk-up. I haven't seen any "doors closing 80% off" fares. But I did pay $1800 USD for a BOS-ATL flight on Delta about 4 years ago.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

ahlfors

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:47 am

Well, about a month ago got away with a one-way fare JFK-GVA for $390 (incl. taxes) about 1hr5min before departure, but that was a stand-by youth fare. I did get on the flight though.

fbgdavidson

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:06 am

Well fantastic fares unlikely since they appeal to the last minute business traveller.

A friend of the family was a quite regular commuter to JFK from LHR (working with MoD) and he often didn't know whether he was travelling until he went into work. He'd have to bring his passport with him everywhere and quite often would turn up at the airport and buy a walk up Concorde fare, something like £8200 and would then return on BA004 in the late evening.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

geoffm

Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:43 am

You'd think they'd sell last minute tickets at rock bottom prices, just to get some revenue for seats otherwise unsold. However, there are the likes of people who need a last minute flight and will pay anything just to get on board.

Take my brother for instance. Flew Manchester/Liverpool (can't remember which) to Dublin for a tenner return. Missed his return flight but absolutely had to get back on the next flight. Fare? £250 for a half hour hop across the water.

Geoff M.