The GEnx is based on the GE90, (right?)
The GEnx is taking quite a bit out of the GE90, but will have quite a few advanced features:
1. Split pre-diffuser (free cut in fuel burn, it just requires better casting tech that came out circa 1998)
2. Improved combustor design (more of a long term cost fix than anything else. Some improvements in emissions vs. GE
-90B, worse emissions than original GE
-90A that had to be pulled due to durability and Raleigh criterion issues.)
3. Dramatic improvement in FAN aerodynamics/structure.
4. The usual tweaks in turbine, etc. (Blade cooling improvements that were developed post GE
5. New low pressure compressor
What its taking:
1. A scaled High pressure compressor (but with blade aero tweaks)
had huge issues with the original GE
-90. Many combustor issues as well as part availability.
Question: Does anyone know if the GEnx has a higher low spool rpm?