CV990A
Topic Author

Comet 4 Service

Wed Mar 29, 2000 9:14 am

Does anyone know if any version of the Comet 4 was used on Trans-Atlantic service? Or did it arrive too late and was beaten out by the 707/DC-8/VC-10? Also, if it was used, which airline used it (Besides BOAC...) Thanks in advance...
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

woodsboy

RE: Comet 4 Service

Wed Mar 29, 2000 9:37 am

I am pretty sure that the Comet-4 did see Transatlantic service with BEA/BOAC. Mexicana also had a few Comet-4s that must have flown t/a from Mexico to Europe.

The Comet-4 however found its niche with Dan-Air as a second tier operator well into the late 70s, I believe they snapped up most of the airworthy Comet-4s as they became available. Other Comet-4s were operated by MEA in the Middle East and by East-African.

The Comet is one of my favorite a/c, beautiful graceful lines if not a bit cramped inside compared to its competitors.

timz

Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:10 am

BOAC started London-NY with the Comet 4 in October 1958-- I think they made two or three round trips before Pan Am started their 707-120's. As I recall they withdrew it from the North Atlantic about two years later, except perhaps for a few flights into Prestwick or someplace.

Has Mexicana ever flown transatlantic? In any case I seriously doubt they ever flew Comet 4C's across.

L1011

Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:23 am

I have flown on the Comet 4B on both BEA and Olympic, although not trans-Atlantic.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Chris

Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:41 am

Aerolineas Argentinas used their Comets on flights to LHR and Europe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos