canoecarrier

AS "Milk Run" Question

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:04 am

I flew 61 to CDV yesterday, a trip I've done a few times before. It's a 732 combi, thru flight SEA-JNU-YAT-CDV-ANC, however this was the first time I'd done it in the winter. We couldn't land at JNU due to winds.

Anyway, the crews I've seen on this flight always seem senior, both cockpit and cabin. Yesterday, I appreciated the crew experience, with 40 knot gusts, low ceilings, wind sheer and freezing rain, I certainly couldn't relate it to any flight I'd had in recent memory.

Anyway, my question is that it seems there might be a relatively small group of crews that either bid these trips, including flight 66 and the flights to Wrangle and Petersburg. Are my observations correct?
The beatings will continue until morale improves

N1120A

RE: AS "Milk Run" Question

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:09 am

>Anyway, my question is that it seems there might be a relatively small group of crews that either bid these trips, including flight 66 and the flights to Wrangle and Petersburg. Are my observations correct?<

You are absolutely right. ANC is quite senior for pilots, as there is not much change year to year in AS Alaska service. Also, it is generally native Alaskans who are experienced with bush flying. They need them flying (not at JNU so much, as they see SEA-based 734s as well) when they do into places like DUT, YAT (Yakutat), etc. because of the demanding flying required. You cannot put your average ex-fighter pilot or fresh out of the regionals/FBOs on these routes.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Chugach

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:10 am

Can't answer your question but I have always appreciated the professionalism of the flight crews on the intra-Alaska routes. Top notch quality.

Chugach

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:12 am

Not to nit-pick but Yakutat is YAK, not YAT Big grin

canoecarrier

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:15 am

I certainly was impressed. I've flown alot as an airline employee, and knew it took great skill. My only regret is the combi is set up where you couldn't pass on the appreciation to the captian when you get out of the plane.

N743AS

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:25 am

Most the guys on the 737-200 at Alaska are pretty senior...They're all based in ANC and if you like living up there it's choice duty. Most lines out of ANC are just turns, returning to ANC that night but then there are the runs south which have to be flown, so they fly it!

-743AS
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann

canoecarrier

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:32 am

Any follow up on the rumored faze out of the 732's? I'd heard they were trying to get the 734's certified to do combi flights.

There was a documentary of sort on AS on Seattle TV not long ago, where they interviewed one of the AS pilots in ANC, following him to King Salmon or somewhere, he'd been with them for over 20 years. You certainly get the feeling your flying into somewhere that would be quite remote if not for these flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos