We build the best wings.........

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Valentine

......and the best engines in the world:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Bondor

(And we also had something to do with this, at one time)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michal Kuklinski

Trolley Dolley

RE: Brtain: The World Leader In Aviation

Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:46 am

He he! Like the comment about the wings. I met two vacationing Air France A320 pilots who said the wings on their planes were perfect. Should have seen their faces when I said, "Of course, they´re British made!" All in good fun though, had to scull some wicked Brazilian booze for that comment. Don´t forget other little innovations like codeshares starting with Imperial Airways, commerical jet flight, introducing turbo-props and a competitive market place.

tinpusher007

Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:50 am

Just remember that whole concept of man taking to the skies in the first place started on THIS side of the pond!
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Jetmek319

Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:53 am

Actually I beleive it was a fellow named DaVinci that started planning for it! We just got the "powered, heavier-than-air" part right! Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Never, ever moon a werewolf !!

scotron11

Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:58 am

Also the VC-10 was a teriffic a/c! Wasn't BOAC heavily involved in the birth of Singapore Airlines? I maybe wrong, but I recall hearing that somewhere.

Trolley Dolley

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:02 am

Actually, I believe it was the French who first got men and animals airbourne with ballon power. (Make me eat humble pie for that comment to the AF pilots!) The Wright brothers were the first to perfect the ground breaking concept of powered heavier than air flight, sort of like Bill Gates and computing.

[Edited 2005-02-11 01:05:09]

ozglobal

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:03 am

Just remember that whole concept of man taking to the skies in the first place started on THIS side of the pond!

@TinPusher007

No, Check your history, starting with say, Leonardo Da Vinci. The US first would be first successful powered flight.

http://www.ueet.nasa.gov/StudentSite/historyofflight.html

Also:

"1891: German engineer, Otto Lilienthal, studied aerodynamics and worked to design a glider that would fly. He was the first person to design a glider that could fly a person and was able to fly long distances.
Based on his studies of birds and how they fly, he wrote a book on aerodynamics that was published in 1889 and this text was used by the Wright Brothers as the basis for their designs.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

ZRH

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:04 am

Why do you think you have the best airlines with the best service. I have flown on many airlines with far better service and better food than BA. For example Malaysia, Singapore, Swiss and others.

Avianca

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:08 am

BA must have the best food if they empathise the good old british cuisine... lol
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Amy

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:07 am

I wouldn't say we were the leaders but we done some well good stuff  Smile
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

Lindy

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:10 am

You have a typo in the subject Big grin

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

JBirdAV8r

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:13 am

Britain: World's Best Airlines, World's Worst Spellers.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

dan2002

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:07 am

No, I think this side of the pond has the better engines:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan C. Umphrey

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fernando Olmeda

View Large View Medium

Photo © Søren Geertsen

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

incitatus

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:43 am

Britain cannot be the World leader in Aviation.
It is the only developed country that prevents several of the largest airlines of the World (CO, NW, DL) from serving its principal airport, LHR.  Nuts

Stop pop up ads

mozart

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:31 pm

Of course Britain is a leader:

- It has some of the world's major hub airports, such as Bournemouth, Manston and Cardiff
- It has some very intelligent policies supporting the prominence of aviation, such as keeping its railway system on the technical standard of the 19th century...
- ... or such as letting its car industry drift into insignificance or foreign hands
- The roofs of UK airports don't collapse like in other countries

All of these are major achievements! Rule Britannia!

Just poking a little fun...  Wink/being sarcastic

N79969

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:56 pm

I have never flown on a British airline and I do prefer the ride on Boeing built wings. But from everything I hear, the Rolls Royce engines are truly superb.

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:57 pm

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

:D
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MEA-707

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:04 pm

since the ARJ/BAe-146 line closed, the British don't make any airliner anymore... If you find an A-300 or A-330 with 9 seats abreast, a 767 with 8 abreast or a 757-200 with 230 seats it's most likely UK- registered... Their airport taxes are some of the highest in the world...
I rest my case.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

col

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:04 pm

Bristol Brabazon, latest Nimrod, ATP, anymore?

Granted we all learnt a lot from the first jet engine and Comet. BA sucks into MAN, BMI is much better on Long Haul there. BA also may serve great food, but I would rather have a poor sandwich and "my luggage".

Very funny post though!

backfire

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:11 pm

You were doing well until you mentioned Concorde...

Flighttime

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:19 pm

Perhaps the op would have been better saying that Britain was a leader in world aviation. Saying you are the best tends to leave yourself open to a pissing contest. Which is tiresome to say the least.

767-332ER

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:58 pm

I guess whatever would take the attention away from Brits' teeth...
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

gopal

Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:45 am

Britain has probably lost some of its prominence and leadership in the field of Aerospace that it held in the 50s and 60s. In the decades following WWII, British aerospace companies came up to many fine state of the art fighter and commerical aircraft. Examples are Hawker-hunter, Seahawk, Gnat, Jaguar. These planes formed the backbone of many a nation's airforce and navy. On the civilian side there was the comet, Avro (HS-748) , Vickers Viscount which formed the bulk of civilian fleets worldwide. Rampant trade unionism and nationalization and merger of these companies caused the Birtish aerospace industry to suffer.

mhodgson

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:04 am

Inciatus - It's a recipriocal agreement with the US, hence BD cannot fly the route either.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

ryanb741

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:33 am

'Best service'? Rofl Big grin Obviously you haven't flown SQ or CX lately. BA are pretty good, but getting a meal from a British girl just doesn't have the same pizzazz as getting served a meal from a svelte, Oriental stunner. Sexist? Yes. Does it make a difference? Oh yes! Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

RODNAWACS

Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:38 am

Britain is a leader but not the leader, they are a close #2.

AirbusCanada

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:34 pm

it took them what , 10 years to make the T-5@LHR?
oh yes, they are the absolute leader.
heck, even Canadian Aerospace Industry is bigger then them!!!!

Qantasclub

Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:16 pm

In terms of Airlines, yes, I would agree, both BA and VS are world leaders.

Incitatus. re: "Britain cannot be the World leader in Aviation.
It is the only developed country that prevents several of the largest airlines of the World (CO, NW, DL) from serving its principal airport, LHR."
Thats exactly done to keep the riff raff LHR is messy, though. And I think it is absolutedly ridiculous that 1 city should have Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted and London city airports serving it. Just plain inefficiency and poor planning.

Having said this, I think Heathrow for me, is still the shrine of long haul heavies. No other airport comes close.

Long Haul is the only way to go

airtangora

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:12 pm

And your people taught me that a Gin and Tonic deserves a lemon, not a lime. Thanks BA!!!
A bad day on the road is better than a good day in the office.

burnsie28

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Sorry dude, nothing will beat the DC-9 wing, one if not the worlds most economical wing. Hence why that same wing was put onto the 717

Also, on many aircraft the RR engines have far less economical attributes compared to those of a P&W, take a look at the range etc of the 757 here at A.net  Big grin

[Edited 2005-02-12 08:18:09]

RayChuang

Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:11 pm

The British could have been huge leaders in commercial aviation, but outside of the Vickers Viscount project most of the all-British commercial airliner projects weren't successes:

1. The de Havilland Comet could have been a world-beater but its unfortunate accidents caused by metal fatigue allowed Boeing and Douglas to catch up, and Comet sales never really recovered.

2. The Vickers Vanguard arrived at the time when airlines were more interested in pure-jet medium range planes, so not that many were sold.

3. The Hawker-Siddeley Trident took too long to develop, which resulted in the Boeing 727 being a far bigger success.

4. The Vickers VC10 was too tailored to BOAC's requirements, and as a result was not competitive against the Boeing 707-320B and Douglas DC-8.

The British aerospace industry survived mostly because of Hawker Siddeley's investment in the wing design for Airbus planes, in my humble opinion.  Smile

BestWestern

Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:09 pm

Britain cannot be the World leader in Aviation.
It is the only developed country that prevents several of the largest airlines of the World (CO, NW, DL) from serving its principal airport, LHR

Its called quality control  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

dc10tim

Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:54 pm

Qantasclub,

Though I think the lack of runways at London's airports is a result of poor planning (LHR in particular), I don't necessarily think the number of airports is. LHR, LGW, LTN, STN and LCY collectively handled 121 million passengers in 2003. I cannot think of another city that has so many air passengers, whether they be O&D or transfer.

They serve different markets too. LCY is a small airport primarily for business travelers. STN being the major low-cost airport. The areas they serve are different too. From where I live LTN is only a 2 hour train ride, but to get to LGW is a nightmare.

Must admit though the number of aircraft trying to land on one runway at LHR does make for excellent spotting.

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

AirNZ

Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Qantasclub

You make a fair point, but not exactly accurate though. It must be remembered that LTN,STN and LCY take a substantial degree of 'light' traffic well away from LHR and LGW.....plus they serve entirely different market segments I don't think it's as much pure bad planning as a lack of space combined with the terrific explosion of air traffic in the last few decades....Heathrow has been there for some 70 years, thus other world locations were able to play 'catch-up' with new airports designed specifically for the jet age. Sure, we could easily build a new airport to match the likes of Hong Kong or Changi, but where would we have the space to put it within easy accessibility of central London? We could put it in say, the Hebrides, but they we'd have whinners on here who would constantly moan because they couldn't step from the terminal on to Westminster Bridge (those who seem to find the idea of having to walk ten minutes from a landing gate to baggage reclain abhorrent!).
But you were spot on with your assessement that LHR is the shrine for most heavies. After all, which airline wouldn't give it's proverbial right arm to have landing rights into the world's premier destination airport.....London Heathrow!
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146