Reggaebird
Topic Author

Los Angeles Airport (LAX) - What A Dump!

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:39 am

Hi,

I recently flew into Los Angeles International (LAX) on Alaska Airlines (Terminal 3) and had to transfer to a Delta flight in Terminal 5. It was my first visit to LAX in about 10 years (I prefer Long Beach) and I was stunned to see how "un-modern" the facilities appear to be. It definitely looks like those two terminals are stuck in the 1980's/1990's! I can't think of another major mega-airport in the USA that appears this way. Does anyone have any idea if all LAX terminals are in the same condition? If so, are there any plans to upgrade the facilities?

Reggaebird

(Original post edited to correct terminal numbers. My apologies for the error.)

[Edited 2005-02-13 00:52:51]

UALAX

RE: Los Angeles Airport (LAX) - What A Dump!

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:43 am

You have it mixed up, Alaska is T3 and Delta T5. I always thought Terminal 5 is pretty nice. Terminal 3 in addition to 6 are the most run-down terminals. The rest of the terminals, especially 4 and 7 are pretty nice. Plans are to replace terminals 1-3 and upgrade the International Terminal.

UALAX

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:44 am

I think the DL concourse is actually quite nice. What didn't you like about it and how does it compare to airports in Jamaica?

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:44 am

I recently flew into LAX on Alaska Airlines (Terminal 5) and had to transfer to a Delta flight in Terminal 3

Flip those. T3 at LAX is a real eyesore, and for my money is the worst terminal at the the airport-its stuck in the 70s!! There are couple different masterplans for LAX. I'm not sure where they stand at the moment with the legislation needed to go through. Theres no question some terminals really aren't adequate anymore.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

B4REAL

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:46 am

I agree w/ UALAX and DL Widget Head, T5 where Delta operates is very nice. I have mostly flown in that terminal, but also have flown NW into LAX into T2 and it left more to be desired.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

TrappedinMKG

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:50 am

It definitely looks like those two terminals are stuck in the 1980's/1990's!

I don't know how they do thing in Jamaica, but where I come from, we don't renovate our terminals every ten years. Terminals stuck in the 1990s aren't all that bad, you know...

roseflyer

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:50 am

Terminal 3 in LAX is really horrible. It hasn't been modified at all since the TWA days. LAX is considering a major expansion that would level terminals 1-3, and replace them with a new modern terminal. It is a needed move as T1 and T3 are pretty crowded and bad.

T4, T5, and T7 are better. United's terminal 7 core is probably the nicest in the airport as a full remodel was done in the late 90s. Overall some remodelling does need to be done, since much of the airport hasn't been touched since the last major expansion in time for that 1984 LA Olympic games that brought about the Tom Bradley International terminal. The nicer terminals are the ones dominated by one of the large legacy US carriers that spent money to invest in their own facilities. The ones that see multiple carriers like TBIT, T1, T3 and T6 are pretty bad with T2 being somewhere in the middle.

As for other LA area airports, I like SNA and ONT. They both have nicer and relatively new terminals that don't seem too overcrowded. JFK is another airport that comes to mind when I think of airports that have drastically different terminals depending on airlines.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

UALAX

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 am

>>There are couple different masterplans for LAX. I'm not sure where they stand at the moment with the legislation needed to go through. Theres no question some terminals really aren't adequate anymore.<<

The City Council approved the Master Plan two months ago, the FAA is currently reviewing and barring the multiple lawsuits succeeding, the airport should start construction later this year.

Regards.

B4REAL

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:53 am

RoseFlyer:

I agree w/ you that ONT and SNA are nice as well. I thought the rest of LAX was similar to T5 (DL), and as you point out that is not the case.

The LAWA, in my opinion, is a well-run airport authority and I have always enjoyed flying to Southern California as those airports I have always had good experiences.

Welcome to my Respected Users list by the way, RoseFlyer.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

ASTROJET707

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:53 am

What exactly makes the TBIT so awful?

airxliban

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:56 am

well, I agree that LAX isn't the greatest, but the DL concourse is pretty decent and I can't think of anywhere at LAX that is superior to your preferred Lawwwng Beach!
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

jetblueatjfk

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:10 am

Some terminals are bad but some are nice. They will all eventually be fixed up but for now they are like that, we will have to wait until they start working. Terminal 4,5,7 and TBIT are nice but 1,2,3,6 could be updated. I think 1-3 should be updated into like a big nice one also like someone said above (not like one terminal just connect them and make them like new and modern). 6 can just be updated as time goes on.

JFK's terminals are different but none of them are bad anymore, 1 is nice (I've been there), 2 is kinda nice, 3 is nice, 4 very nice-it's new, 5-closed and is nice even though it is stick back in the 70s and 80s but the gate area will change by 2008, 6 is on its way-they have updated it alot but once T5 is theirs B6 can move ops over there for a little and do a big fix up-it has come a long way though, 7 -I think it really nice but I was only on the United said and check in areas and they were nice and modern, 8+9 are rebuilding so we will see.

jetBlueAtJFK

Reggaebird
Topic Author

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:11 am

DL Widgethead,

I didn't find the Delta terminal as bad as the Alaska terminal but the Delta terminal didn't seem as modern as I would expect either. I am a very frequent flyer with Delta and I am used to nicer facilities. I realize that the airlines don't always control the look and feel of the facilities but I bet they have some input at LAX.

As for airports in Jamaica, of course they are not as big or as fancy as the mega-airports in the USA. We are a poor country with a GDP that is probably less than that of the city of Los Angeles. No reasonably smart individual would even consider comparing the two! Nonetheless, at least one of our airports (Sangster International Airport at Montego Bay) is actually one of the nicest in the Caribbean basin.

Reggaebird

AirlineBrat

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:23 am

I flew out of TBIT in 2000 for the first time. Was flying down to SYD on Qantas. I was not impressed with that terminal at all. It was bleak, dark and boring in the gate area. The ticket counter area had more sunlight. After you go through security, there was not much in shopping or food options. Same with the new SFO - international terminal, suprisingly. All the best places to shop and eat are outside of security. T-4 at LHR has the best 'beyond security' food and shopping options that I have experienced. I ended up spending over $100 on food and stuff before I boarded my BA flight back to SFO.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

planesarecool

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:24 am

I flew out of T2 on Virgin a couple of years ago and it was shocking! One shop, one Café and some tacky restaurant (i can't remember, i think it may have been Burger King or MacDonalds, was a long time ago). Even for an airport it was boring being stuck there for 2 and a half hours waiting for our flight.

-Stephen

Reggaebird
Topic Author

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:28 am

I would take SFO over LAX anyday!!! Frankly, ATL and ORD beat both of them in my opinion. Additionally, the new terminal at DTW is pretty spectacular. It even has a train that runs in the ceiling!

Reggaebird

AA767400

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:42 am

What didn't you like about it and how does it compare to airports in Jamaica?

What does Jamaica have to do with anything? Just because this person is from Jamaica has zero to do with airport facilities and the thread.
"The low fares airline."

alexchao

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:54 am

I agree that LAX needs renovation. It has been widely discussed on this forum before. In my opinion, T5 is probably one of the nicer terminals in LAX.

AirlineBrat

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:56 am

Architecturally, SFO's international terminal is spectacular. I have flown out of many airports in the US and it seems like most of the modern terminals are pleasant to fly out of. I think the main elements to a good terminal are: lots of big windows to allow natural light in, lots shopping,food and beverage options, large open-air gate areas, wide walkways and art. Open air terminals and gate areas provide a more comfortable experience. That is a contrast to what happens when you board the flight. Most coach cabins are cramped and stuffy.

I love flying out of Terminals B and C in PDX on the Alaska/WN side. It is a beautiful terminal with lots natural light, northwest influenced artwork, sculptures etc. The art is interactive. I have always loved the underground walkway in the UAL terminal at ORD with the psychedelic light show flashing above the moving sidewalk while Brian Eno type music loops through the speaker system. The new DEN allows for lots of natural light into the terminal and it definitely has a Rocky Mountain feel to the architecture. I flew into and out of SYD after the Olympics and had a pleasant experience there. SEA's new main terminal is coming along nicely. Lots of daylight in the A gate area. I can't wait for the new food court to open.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

andahuailas

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:59 am

The truth that LAX is a dump, and politics are preventing the remodeling/modernization of the facilities. Even the newly remodeled T4 (AA) is a disgrace: security always crowded, baggage claimed is nothing but a dungeon with low ceilings and crowded/slow baggage delivery, retail facilities are from the 70s,etc, etc.

One could only wish that politicians, like LA's mayor Mr. Hahn would make LAX into an autonomus organization rather than pretend they know airport logistics.

L.A. need better/more modern facilities

September11

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:17 am

LAX is NOT a dump.

--- however ---

LAX is very OLD airport!

Airliners.net of the Future

amhilde

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:22 pm

See, now when i fly VS out of LAX ( my preference to SFO because i just cannot tolerate those people begging for my attention in the ticketing area!) I check in and then hightail it over to TBIT to go sit and watch the pretty pretty planes  Smile I _like_ the TBIT, though admittedly ive never been to any gate in that terminal. But it sure as hell beats waiting in T1-T3- those grim roundabout thingys with the brown carpeting and never enough chairs, and dont even get me STARTED on the bathroom facilities where VS leaves from (is that T1 or 2?). Those are dead nasty, and you are right, whoever posted it, there is one shop and a burger king and thats it. I hang out at TBIT or walk for as long as I can before I have to be at that gate.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

AirWillie6475

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:40 pm

"What exactly makes the TBIT so awful?"

Have you ever flown from Narita or Frankfurt and arrived at LAX through TBIT?
After being through such modern facilities and having arrived at TBit terminal you will think that you have arrived at some third world country. The workers, dirty floors, creaky escalators, ugly floors.

I really think that Lax is not impressive but I don't care about the domestic terminlas, they should at least improve the int terminal because that is the gateway and first impression of LA to foreign visitors. The one good thing about LAX is that it is very easy to navigate and its an efficient airport for passengers.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:43 pm

I love to sit at the food court at the TBIT and watch all of the aircraft criss-cross right in front of me. It's also a great place to sit and watch the departures to the west but even greater when the aircraft are landing/departing to the east.

iowaman

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:29 pm

I remember a few years ago being in one of the terminals in PHX when I was waiting for a WN flight and it seemed like the terminal was stuck in the 70's! Anyone know about this?

ILSApproach

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:38 pm

Flew MBJ-MSP today (2-12)....................finally expanding the terminal....new addition looks pretty nice, compared to the rest of airport, which of course is dated. The duty free area is very nice and modern though.

As stated above Jamaica is a poor country, but I do agree it is one of the nicer Carribean airports.

Sorry I got off track on this thread, but I couldn't resist as I flew into/out of MBJ in the last two weeks (my annual Negril trip)

Mike @ MSP

N1120A

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:39 pm

>Plans are to replace terminals 1-3 and upgrade the International Terminal.<

You mean completely screw up the airport and surrounding traffic?

>I remember a few years ago being in one of the terminals in PHX when I was waiting for a WN flight and it seemed like the terminal was stuck in the 70's! Anyone know about this?<

Well, it was built in the 1990s, so that is scary. I have been in T4 there and it is fine, just too damn long a walk from one end to the other. It is even worse than IAH.

People really seem to miss the whole point with LAX. It is the largest O&D airport in the world and it is built that way. The reason each terminal is smaller and less connected to the next is because they made it to be quick from curb to plane. Now, TSA rules have changed that but you can still get through quite quickly.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dacman

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:43 pm

One suggestion Raggaebird.................if you don't like LAX don't fly here!!!!!!!!

LAX is not a dump!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
lgbguy (LAX Local)
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

N1120A

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:46 pm

Here here Dacman. LAX is as non-dump as it gets. If you want delays, go to your "modern" places like ORD, ATL or IAH and leave LAX to us who want efficiency and the best spotting in the world
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

zrs70

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:04 pm

I, for one, LOVE T3! The nostlagia of TWA. The underground corridor. The vintage architecture. It is one of the few terminals in the US that still evokes the true venture of travel.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

QANTAS077

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:24 pm

what makes TBIT so bad?

have you ever departed from TBIT? it's an absolute shithole! not a bloody shop anywhere past security, it's like time stood still or left LAX behind, the less i have to travel via LAX the happier i am.

lincoln

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:29 pm

Ooooh... Now I'm going to have to find a way to fly in/out/through LAX T3... Unless there's some other way to see the architecture  Big grin  Big grin

I walked through the non-sterile areas of the TBIT about two months ago. The departures level isn't too bad (with some GREAT views of the airport), but the arrivals level feels like a blend of a rundown '70s supermarket with a courtroom and prison mixed in. Absolutely nothing to make you enjoy being there, want to stay there, or even to remind you that you're in an airport.

Terminal 4 looks nice, it just isn't overly functional given the...um...interesting configuration for security (If they redirected even half of the TSA employees that they have to use for traffic management to actual screening it may not be as bad, but...). Upside is I now know the location of the AA Credit Union and Lost and Found.

And Reggaebird, to answer your statement "I can't think of another major mega-airport in the USA that appears this way." you should really take a look at the L.C. Smith Terminal at DTW or concourse E (? whichever NW uses) at ORD. Both beat anything I've seen at LAX by miles.

Lincoln

CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

GuyBetsy1

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:11 pm

International arrivals into ANY US airport is a horrible experience. Barren hallways, glaring flourescent lights, loud annoucements telling people that all must clear US immigration irrespective if one is connecting onto another flight or not. What a welcome...

Coupled that with say, Vancouver International, where you walk through a light filled walkway filled with natural sounds of water. The glass windows show off a welcome sight - the mountain ranges.

SINGAPORE Changi Airport has got to be one of the nicest airports anywhere. US airport designers should try and follow that example. Even as nice as SFO is, it is still rather dull when compared to other airports worldwide.

N751PR

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:37 pm

I dunno T3 seems to be fine.......if you're into nostalgia...
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

Matheus

Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:01 pm

I was at LAX in 2003 and I tought that was pretty bad for the pax view..

The good point is the TBIT's arrival area,it is large, have a good number of customs tables and have a good ilumination (Just dindt like the Bush photo and "Welcome to America" on the side, I found it pretty unfashioned, but however)...I've used the T2 to fly to NZ as well, I dindt get any queve lines, even in the security! I've eat my Burger King, get my wait in the VIP lounge, but the I was there just for the view, as the seats in the boarding area are very confortable...
The inter-terminal bus is really awfull, I had fews problens to get on board my 2 suitcases by myself, i think a lowred bus may be more helpfull!!!
After this disaster I walked from TBIT to T7, but the lift to the boarding area was out of order and I had to use the stairs...No more complains to T7...
I didnt like LAX at all, I prefer much my brazilians airports with huge terminals and more entertaining options...
Oh yeah, almost forgot, the Book sellers are really stupid, I've to say 20 times "I dont have money" and I slept by a week with the voice "The red lines are for shuttle service, the blue........." on my head...

Math

TBCITDG

Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:08 pm

LAX is by far one of the ugliest airports that I have ever been to.
I hope that I do not offend any one but for the richest country in the world to have an airport in such a condition is shamefull.
Last time I was there I had to change from TBIT to the United terminal. It was my first time to the United terminal, as I normally travel through TBIT.
I thought TBI was in bad shape, little did I know that things get worse elsewhere. Such an old and depressing terminal.

One question though: Didn't LAX receive a facelift just before the Democratic convention years ago (Clinton era)?
If so, what did they spend the money on?
If not, any future plans for remodeling?

ktachiya

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:49 pm

Wow.......

Well, I agree and disagree with some people. I flew to LAX in 2001 August from NRT on TG. I remember the arrival place being the shittiest experience I could ever want and sorry, I don't remember quite well which terminal it was. Concrete, black, dirty, mean immigration officers, I felt extremely welcome into the United States of America!!!

Then I flew back again to NRT on TG from LAX. I was suprised because the terminal just looked extremely different to me. Everything was so much nicer when departing. The only problem was that it was mid-December holiday season so it was extremely packed. Then most of the planes heading to NRT pushed back at around the same time and we all landed at NRT around the same time.

But in general, I just don't like flying into LAX. Flying out is no problem I think.
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

Speedbird2155

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:03 pm

I don't get the need for people to constantly bash various airports (and airlines) on here. Not all airports/terminals were built in the last 10 or even 20 yrs. Some of these places have been around for decades and if the facilities seem old, it's because they are. It's easy to suggest tearing a terminal down and rebuilding, but think of the disruption that would cause.

Reggaebird
Topic Author

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:16 pm

Dacman,

Regarding your comment: One suggestion Raggaebird.................if you don't like LAX don't fly here!!!!!!!!

Believe me, I do try to avoid LAX. As I said in my earlier post, I hadn't been there in about 10 years. I really do prefer Long Beach and I use that airport when I go to the L.A. basin. Unfortunately, I was flying from Vancouver to Atlanta and my corporate travel agent could not find a more convenient connection at the time that I needed to fly. After this visit I am will definitely adhere more strictly to my policy.

Reggaebird

dtwclipper

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:00 pm

Reggaebird!

Additionally, the new terminal at DTW is pretty spectacular. It even has a train that runs in the ceiling!

Really, runs in the cieling, I would really love to see that, did they move it since last week?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JLS Photo

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

sllevin

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:10 pm

I think in some cases the airlines control or have significant leases on the terminals. I know that AA controlled and paid for the renovation of T4.

Steve

Reggaebird
Topic Author

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:13 pm

DTWClipper,

I am not sure I understand your point. Are you trying to say that the train does not run in the ceiling area? If that's the case, would you like me to restate my comment to something like this..."The train at the new DTW terminal runs the length of the terminal above the passenger gate area (near the ceiling)"? Would that make you feel better DTWClipper?  Insane

Reggaebird

UALAX

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:21 am

Well before everyone continues to bash TBIT, the airport plans a 200 million+ renovation of the terminal starting this year. I for one think the departures area (pre-security) is quite nice, post-security it's a little depressing. You have to remember that LAX is constrained by size and the locals will not allow it to expand. Also airlines obviously right now don't have the money to pour into terminal improvement projects.

United_fan

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:16 am

I flew into terminal 6 with UA in July,and it's way nicer than terminal 7 that I flew out of. The carpet was filthy and the ceiling had some 70's moon-crater things in it . I'de rather fly out of SNA - way nicer,but I booked a flight on a 747 on purpose....
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

VS045

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:51 am

I've only ever flown out of LAX T2, but even it has nothing in the way of shopping- one Burger King, one Starbucks, one LA souvenier shop, and two or three others, but I can't remember what they are.
Otherwise its okay, but I don't understand why VS doesn't have a clubhouse there!?!

Cheers,
VS045
4 engines 4 long haul

GuitrThree

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:05 am

You would have thought Heather Locklear would have fixed the place up before being fired! Big grin
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Airlinerfreak

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:31 am

T1- ok to travel through, you usually don't have time to check after that security line
T2- One of the two terminals in dire need of a renovation. It would be hard for this terminal to get a renovation only because there are many airlines that travel in and out of T2. The only thing that would get it redone is that renovation project
T3- The checkin area for AS is finaminal, well if you are talking about condition. The rest of the terminal is just a dump, with leaking ceilings when it rains and hanging tiles or whatever they are from the roof, this one is still not the worst.
TBIT-One of the better terminals, it is getting a renovation though in the very near future as said above. Couldn't complain when I flew in and out of that one.
T4-Finaminal, AA you did a great job. The admirals club is the best one I have been in yet!!
T5-Knock it down and start over again, this is by far the worst terminal at the airport
T6,T7,T8-they have seen their better days. Once UA gets some money they will re-do them.

PHXinterrupted

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:58 am

How hilarious, some clown from Jamaica calling LAX a dump. For those of you who have not been to Jamaica, it's one of the most dangerous countries in the Caribbean and certainly one of the poorest. Christ, I would suggest that more money moves through LAX than all of Jamaica. And if you really want to see a dump of an airport, fly to Montego Bay or Kingston. Wow!

Keepin' it real.

zrs70

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:02 am

Why can't someone from Jamaica call a US airport a dump? I am from the US, and yet I can still criticize food in france if the restaurant is poor.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

flashmeister

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:21 am

I flew through LAX T4 and T3 right after Christmastime last year, and I gotta say that even though T4 was renovated, it's still a dump. Yeah, the fixtures are new, and things could look good, but AA, would you push a broom around the floor every once in a while? Went to the restroom near baggage claim and it was filthy -- disgusting.

Then, walked over to T3. The AS checkin area, while not bad by terminal standards, was jam packed with people. Way too crowded. Security wasn't bad, but then walking down to the concourse, realized that there was just Burger King to eat, and nothing of any interest to shop in... and the terminal was stuffy and definitely past its prime.

Granted, the planes that arrived and departed from these terminals worked just fine, but LAX is definitely not putting its best foot forward.