mikefad

"and Please Keep Seatbelt Fastened Until...."

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:15 am

I know it's been discussed a zillion times but................

Last month on a flight from ATL to MID on FL a female , we'll call it , jumped up before the plane was at the gate. When we did stop she actually started shoving her way past all the other idiots standing in the aisle. I thought it was kind of funny. The people she just pushed aside were right behind her standing there saying nothing. She was a burly chick.

What is it? Cigarettes? Call of nature? Lack of oxygen? ............ Probably just more important than anybody else on THAT plane. It's amazing how many folks just think the rules are for other people.

Indy

RE: "and Please Keep Seatbelt Fastened Until...."

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:17 am

Personally... just once... I'd LOVE to see a pilot step on the brakes hard. Watch how many of these fools who can't follow directions go flying.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

KLMA330

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:19 am

I'd say it's just ignorance on her part.

ushermittwoch

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:25 am

"Personally... just once... I'd LOVE to see a pilot step on the brakes hard. Watch how many of these fools who can't follow directions go flying."

The only problem there is that innocent pax might be injured. Otherwise, that'd be great!
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

EZEIZA

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:28 am

yeah, I can't stand these people. Do they really think they are going to get home sooner? What I most hate are the people that do it, are told to sit down, and then do it again thinking the F/A's won't see them!

regards
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

mikefad

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:36 am

"Personally... just once... I'd LOVE to see a pilot step on the brakes hard. Watch how many of these fools who can't follow directions go flying."

"The only problem there is that innocent pax might be injured. Otherwise, that'd be great"

If the Capt. stood on the brakes this chick would have taken out 2 rows

Indy

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:40 am

And it probably would have taken you a better part of an hour to stop laughing. Well it would have with me anyway  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

citationjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:56 am

I remember a comedian once said that while flying 600 mph at 35,000 ft passengers are allowed to walk around the plane, go to the restroom, etc.; all while lighting and smoking cigarettes (this was years ago). Yet, once you land and are taxing to the gate they insist that you extinguish your smokes, and remain in your seat with your seat belt on until the plane comes to a complete stop at the gate.

I know the practical reasons for this, I was just recalling some observational humor.

I have sometimes wondered why airlines don't ask that when the plane arrives at the gate, that those passengers who are not making a close connection to remain in their seat, and let those passengers with close connections off first. They do ask this sometimes, but not very often.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting Indy (reply 1):
Personally... just once... I'd LOVE to see a pilot step on the brakes hard. Watch how many of these fools who can't follow directions go flying.

Some learn the hard way.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mtnmanmakalu

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:01 am

That is the problem nowadays- The FEW pax that think the rules are for everybody else BUT them, making the flying experience very irritating sometimes.
It would be funny to see the Capt. step on the brakes HARD, but unfortunately the Airline would ultimately get sued and the pax would be rewarded for their self-centeredness and arrogance... You just KNOW that would happen !!!

mtnman  Big grin
I do, I don't, whatever.......

nycflyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 am

I was on a plane once (a US 319 at LGA, three weeks ago) when the pilot slammed on the brakes when we were taxiing out to departure. Apparently we nearly hit a CO plane whose pilot wasn't following ATC's instructions (?!). It was a real shock - no one was standing, but it felt like being in a car, and slamming on the brakes. Just a sensation I've never experienced in a plane before, took everyone by surprise.

moman

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 am

It never ceases to amaze me that there are some people who push and shove to get off the jet the fastest, being rude to everyone else, only to be standing right beside me at the baggage claim.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

mandala499

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:28 am

Have you ever been in a cabin section where the crew play teacher and pax play naughty students? Result? That cabin section was barred from leaving... Somehow the pax obeyed! LOL... those were the days...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

ckfred

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:47 am

Pilots really don't want to slam on the brakes, if they can avoid it. It does put some stress on the airframe. It certainly adds wear to the brakes. Most importantly, it could send the F/As flying.

I've seen people trying to beat the rest of the passengers and crew off the plane, due to a late arrival and a very tight connection at a hub airport, but your story takes the cake.

lincoln

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting MoMan (reply 11):
It never ceases to amaze me that there are some people who push and shove to get off the jet the fastest, being rude to everyone else, only to be standing right beside me at the baggage claim.

Usually...and I do say usually because every once in a while I have a tight connection (usually because of a delayed inbound flight)...I make sure I'm one of the last people off the aircraft because (a) it gives me more time to stare out the windows and watch hte ramp (b) I figure my next flight is going to leave at the same time regardless of when I get off this one and (c) other people are probably in a bigger hurry than me...let them fight their way off.

Then again I usually have 3+ hours (and rarely less than an hour and a half) to kill at intermediate airports, so...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

VS045

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:11 am

I can understand the rush to get off the aircraft after a flight from LHR to SYD or SIN-EWR, but unless they have tight connections, why do people need to get off the plane so badly after a short hop from LHR-MAN or EWR to IAD!?!
Cheers,
VS045
4 engines 4 long haul

alcregular

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:50 am

Last year on my MYT flight, the captain announced that he was not going to park up at the terminal unless eveyone sat down until the seatbelt signs had been turned off. A lot of people had tried to get up as soon as we had landed.
Why drive when you can fly?

airgeek12

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:01 am

More and more people are starting to disreguard the rules/laws set for that kind of stuff. I think people that do not comply with the FAA seatbelt regulation should be legally fined or something, or maybe even banned from that airline. Just something so the stupid clowns will learn their lesson!

greasespot

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:25 am

Ohhhhhhh I guess I am a bad person because I get up and sart to get ready to leave before the airplane is at the gate....Even worse i am an airline employee and flying non-rev...

Bad Christine bad....

Sheesh get a life.

Gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

1MillionFlyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:39 am

I have seen 2 passengers injured by idoits trying to move too fast in the airplane. In both cases people tried to yank their oversize bags they had jammed into the overhead and they hit people on the head.

Another time, during boarding and the rush to jam 3 items in the overhead in F a guy managed to drop his bag on me and spill coffee all over my khakis. As it was morning and I was only flying out for a day trip with no change of clothes, he really made my day.

For some reason some people lose all their manners on an airplane.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

VEEREF

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:52 am

Yeah basically anymore the seatbelt sign is there mostly as a means for an airline to defend itself against the inevitable lawsuits when someone takes a dive.
I'm sure there are countries where you'd be SOL if you were injured while standing contrary to the sign, but here in the US, well, better call Cochran!
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

APFPilot1985

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:01 am

Yeah Christine i would say its worse, because the one who would get fined if you got caught is a fellow employee.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

copter808

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:43 pm

Oh, I see, Christine, rules are only for OTHER people. I'l bet your employer would be really happy with you if they received a fine because of your conduct.

You, of all people, should know better.

knoxibus

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:15 pm

Happened to a friend of mine who is F/O on a T7 for Air Austral, he was taxiing to the parking slot, and the PA monitoring was on, so he heard the purser ask two times to all pax to remain seated and buckled up to full stop and signs off.

He hit it slightly harder than the usual and that managed to calm some people but to get sued over this is tough, I mean he can always explain that the hard braking was needed because of whatever....

I do hate the rushers though, and more over the seat belt unbucklers upon landing...what's the point, thee door ain't opened yet!
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

Ratypus

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:02 pm

This is definitely one of those things that annoys me most when I fly - I just don't understand it! You can't get out of the plane until it actually stops at the gate anyway, and even if you're first off you'll wait the same as everyone else if you've got any hold baggage!

No wonder people say travelling is stressful - I would too if I acted like that - for my part, I take the time to listen to one more song on my MP3 player, then get up, grab my stuff and get to walk out of the plane without standing like a moron in the aisle. We all end up in arrivals at the same time, and I'm a whole lot more relaxed.

I think we're all agreed on this one...The only reason you might need to rush is if you have a tight connection, in which case its defnitely right that you should be able to ask the FA and leave the plane first. Any FA know if this is ok?

justplanecrazy

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:31 pm

well the only thing i try to do when im on a flight and in a hurry is try to get a seat near the front because you arrive at the arrival airport a tad earlier than the passengers at the back.about .5 of a second.
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

A319114

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:56 pm

If you spend hours in the sky, why would one rush to get off the plane maybe 1 or 2 minutes earlier?
I agree with Ratypus, no wonder most people find travelling stressful...
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

ltbewr

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:23 pm

One problem on international flights and the rush to get off the a/c fast is to beat the crowd to the baggage claim, immigration and customs, especially at some airports where those lines can be very long. Another, is if the a/c has been late, the connections issue is also a problem as that cannot be resolved until you get on the ground, but can be worse if infrequent connecting service or if you are unsure of the frequency of connecting services. Still, the need for a sudden stop on the ground can cause injury to pax, so a good reason to stay belted. I am quite sure in some cases, these early unbelters have a legitment sudden urge to go to the toilet. In all cases they are subjecting themselves to very serious injuries, which means their jumping the line means a trip to the hospital for treatment, totally negating their purpose.

cadet93

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:09 pm

I was on a flight where we pulled up to the gate, and the plane stopped. Everyone started to get up. The captain came on and said we are not at the gate, and a tug was needed to pull us the rest of the way in. PLEASE SIT DOWN........well almost no one listened. When the tug hooked up and started to pull, at least 4 people hit the floor on top of each other.....I thought it was one of the funniest blooper type things I had ever seen.....Alas the guy on the bottom of the pile was not so lucky and needed a wheel chair to get off. He had plenty of time to sit down, as it took about 4 mins to get the tug out to us. So he was at fault, as were the other people still standing.....

SO BELIEVE the pilot when he says stay seated...it can cause injury......

mikefad

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:47 am

Well Greasespot,

I'm still looking for a negative response besides yours.......so far it's only you.........

Your quote suggests you might say things for effect. But would you say it is OK to PUSH? After all , it would get you where you're going a little bit faster.

Quoting Greasespot (reply 18):
Ohhhhhhh I guess I am a bad person because I get up and sart to get ready to leave before the airplane is at the gate....Even worse i am an airline employee and flying non-rev...

Bad Christine bad....

Sheesh get a life.

Gs

Nobody suggested you or anyone else is a BAD PERSON. I just think it is a bizarre human trait that shows up in specimens who also happen to be very dumb.

I think of it as "After Flight Entertainment"

Also, Greasey, part of growing up is realizing you have no life.